2011 Holiday Guides: iPad and iPhone gifts for travelers
Have a loved one on your holiday shopping list who's going to take their iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad on a special trip? Not sure exactly what to gift them? Not a problem, TiPb has you covered! From the traveler off to fun in the sun, to the family going home for the holidays, to the couple going out on the town, here are some of our favorite device, accessory, and app picks for the business user in your life!
Don’t need anything for a travel? Check out the recommendations anyway, something great might still catch your eye. If not, no worries, check out one of our other 2011 holiday gift guides!
Dream hardware for dream getaways
The perfect gift can make for the perfect trip. traveling can be stressful enough, but if your traveler has the right stuff, it can make not only the destination that much more enjoyable, but the journey as well.
An iPad to plan and book their excursions from the couch, and iPhone to manage their lists and flights on the go, iPod touches to keep the kids busy in the backseat, an Apple TV to hook up at the cabin, an iPod nano to rock out on the slopes. No matter where you're going or what you're going to do, there's an iOS device that can make it more fun and more enjoyable for your traveler.
Not sure which one you should get? Not a problem! Start here:
While there are more places to charge up and top off than ever, from coffee shops to airports, the truth is your traveler will be busy, stressed, and the last thing they need is to run out of power when they need it most. Whether it's the kids in the carseats or spouses on the plane, every trip is better with a spare charger.
- Qmadix Dual Mobile Charging Kit for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch lets you charge two iOS devices -- even the power-hungry iPad! -- at the same time. If you're going on a long family trip, or even an extended drive for the holidays, this can make all the difference between peacefully playing children and happily tapping significant others, and the agony and pain of bored passengers with dead devices turning their angry gazes in your direction.
- mophie juicepack offers the lighter, more colorful "air" model or the heftier but more powerful "plus" model. The air will recharge your iPhone to roughly 70%, the plus to almost full. Whether your business user values light weight portability or big battery power, the mophie juice pack is a must-have for anyone who is away from a wall outlet for long periods of time.
- Keychain Charge and Sync Cable for iPod & iPhone is perfect for those who need to travel ultralight but still want a backup to keep themselves charged when they get there. Let's face it, away from home is the last place you want to be caught without a cable.
No matter where they're going or what they're doing there's no such things as too much protection for their iPhone or iPad.
- Overboard for iPhone or iPad are waterproof cases perfect for everything from the beach to the slopes to the white waters to the hot tubs. Whether they'll need to keep their devices safe from snow, sand, or suds, give them one of these.
- Otterbox for iPhone or iPad is for those who need superior protection, be it light but still sturdy or total armor. To survive a hike or to survive the kids, Otterbox is the way to go.
- iPhone wallet cases are a great idea for travelers who want to travel light. They let you keep your iPhone safe and take a few bills or credit cards along for the ride. There are also a wide variety of looks, from old fashioned to modern, guys to girls.
- Headsets will be worth their weight in gold if you're traveler wants their music with them on the slopes or on the beach, or if the kids will be gaming on the plane or in the back seats.
- Car kits if you're traveler's are hitting the road, there's nothing better than a good car mount and a great speakerphone.
- SCOTTEVEST has pockets and more pockets for all their documents, gear, electronics, and accessories. It's like having an extra travel bag that keeps them warm at the same time!
Terrific apps for travelers
While wrapping paper is nice, nothing is faster to buy or easier to ship than software. Whether you load it up for them on their brand new device, or send it half way across the world, it'll always get there on time and ready to use.
Travel games: Uno
Uno is the classic Italian card game all dressed up for the iPhone. You can play on your own, with your family -- which is especially great on your TV via AirPlay! -- or online against players of similar skill level. It's everything you love about the original, all packaged up for your iPhone.
- $0.99 - App Store link
Also check out:
- Catan is a great version of a great strategy game. $4.99 - App Store link
- Words with Friends isn't Scrabble but it is an all out, all online spelling war. $0.99 - App Store link
- Carcassone is a beautiful rendition of the medieval strategy game. $9.99 - App Store link
- Poker by Zynga let's you get your Texus Hold'em on your iPhone. Free - App Store link
Location apps: NAVIGON
If your traveler is taking the long road to their holiday getaway, give them full fledged turn-by-turn driving directions on their iPhone so you can keep your eyes where they belong -- on the road. NAVIGON provides on-board maps which means it keeps working in areas where there's no data coverage. You can buy regional, country, or continents at a time, and there are also options for live traffic updates, parking directions, and enhanced panoramic views of the surroundings.
- Varies - App Store link
Also check out:
- Foursquare lets you "check in" to locations, keep track of your and your friends' locations, and earn points for being there. Free - App Store link
- Yelp provides restaurant, gas station, bar, and pretty much any type of business location and recommendations. Free - App Store link
- Find my iPhone is Apple's way for iCloud to help you locate, lock, and even wipe a missing or stolen iPhone. Free - App Store link
- Waze is a free, crowd-sourced, and highly social travel and nav app. Free - App Store link
Photo apps: Instagram
Instagram is the current king of iPhone photography apps, and it took the crown through a brilliant combination of easy-to-apply filters and super simple social sharing. The latest version not only adds even more filters, but all tilt-shift effects. Whether your traveler wants to quickly share great looking snap shots to Facebook, Twitter, Flickr, Tumblr, Foursquare, or Posterous, Instagram has them covered. In style.
- Free - App Store link
Also check out:
- Photogene2 is a photography powerhouse, with full featured editing, sharing, and much more. $1.99 - App Store link
- Camera+ is jam packed with features and filters to make their photos shine. $0.99 - App Store link
- Hipstamatic to bring that terrific toy camera look to their shots. [$0.99 - App Store link]
- Flickr for iPhone lets them store and share all the shots you take. [Free - App Store link]
You're a part of Team TiPb too! Have any accessories you think business users would love to get for the holidays? Make sure to let us know what your picks are as well!