Erica Sadun from TUAW is relentlessly prosecuting her AirPlay and Apple TV hacks with a whole series of posts that include turning your Mac into an AirPlay server via the AirFlick app, transcoding AVI and other non-Apple supported videos for use with Airplay, running AirPlay on an XBMC Linux box, playing DVDs on Apple TV via AirPlay, playing iTunes FairPlay DRM protected videos, and sending Mac screencasts to Apple TV. Yeah. Phew.
A lot of this is strictly alpha and proofs of concept at this point and requires a good amount of ninja level skill to implement, but if that's the way you like your hacks, head on over and try them out:
- AirFlick turns Macintosh into an AirPlay data server
- AirPlay running on XBMC Linux box
- Apple TV plays live-converted AVI files using Air Video Server, AirPlayer, and AirFlick
- DVDs are playing back on my Apple TV using AirFlick and AirPlay!
- Screencast your Mac to Apple TV over AirPlay
Video after the break!