Apple’s new futuristic headquarters facing delay, new completion date set for 2016
Apple has said that its high spec futuristic new headquarters will not be completed now until mid-2016 due to planning changes. The new timetable was presented to the city of Cupertino earlier this month according to a report by Bloomberg.
The iPhone maker included the new timetable in an updated proposal it submitted to the city on Nov. 14. While Apple, the world’s largest company by market value, had wanted to break ground on the 176-acre campus this year, the city may not complete its environmental impact report until June, and Apple may not be able to start work until 2014.
“They could conceivably break ground in 2013, but only if everything goes smoothly,” said David Brandt, Cupertino’s city manager. That depends on the city council approving the project quickly, and on residents not filing legal challenges. “The project is running a little bit slow.” Apple notified the city in August that it planned to update its proposal in September. By filing in November, possible approval in early 2013 became unrealistic, said Brandt. In its original plan, the company said it envisioned moving in by 2015.
The resubmitted proposals do not include any major design changes and the “Mothership” design is still the one that Apple will go ahead with. The changes did include moving the proposed position of a 1000 seat auditorium further away from an existing road, an additional building to house utility equipment and additional parking spaces. The changes were all instigated by Apple trying to improve on the initial design of the project and not forced upon them by the city.