AT&T has announced a new home security and automation service called Digital Life that comes with an iPad and iPhone app with a bunch of security and remote control options. With it, you can change the temperature, switch the lights, manage the alarm system, control the window blinds, shut off the water main, and even remotely unlock doors. Here's the full feature list:
- Professional installation of the platform, sensors and other devices
- Integrated, wirelessly enabled platform that combines home security and automation capabilities
- AT&T owned and operated 24/7 security monitoring centers
- A state-of-the-art user interface application, which allows customers to customize a solution based on individual needs, and the ability to manage and control their services from the U.S. or while traveling abroad
- The option to experience and purchase the service in AT&T’s distribution channels, including AT&T company-owned retail stores. The service will also be made available for purchase on att.com when available commercially.
- The ability to add more features and services after the initial installation, hassle free
This is a pretty sweet package that seems to include just about everything you would need, but I cringe to think what the initial set-up cost would be, nevermind the monthly subscription fee. Similar bundles go for about $500 to set up, so that should give you an idea of what to expect. Wi-Fi routers tend to be the hubs for home automation, but emerging standards like NFC and Wi-Fi direct certainly have a role to play, as well as older technologies like Bluetooth - it's just tricky getting all of these in-home machines to talk with one another while keeping the user experience simple and straightforward.
Trials for the system are kicking off in Atlanta and Dallas over the summer. Want to sign up? Hit the link below.