Best of iMore: The secret history of smartphones!
Every week at iMore we publish more breaking news, in-depth reviews, helpful how-tos, and editorial views than you can shake an apple at. While we're waiting for the week that will be to begin, here's a look back at the week that was, and at the very best iPhone, iPad, Mac, app, and accessory coverage we brought you! This week that includes the official announcement of WWDC 2014, the launch of Amazon Fire TV, some terrific contests, and some of the best podcasts we've ever been part of!
- Vector 35: Native apps vs. web apps and what comes next!: No spoilers, but if you're a smartphone history geek, there's a amazing surprise in here for you!
- Iterate 65: iOS 7 redux, wearables, and everywhereables!: Some of the best designers in the business join us live to talk about iOS 7 six months later — and yes, opinions have changed!
- Debug 32: John Siracusa on Copland 2014: A straight up fight, and one of the most interesting discussions on Apple's future with higher-level languages you'll ever hear!
- iMore show 396: The WWDC 2014 lottery!: Rene and Peter break down everything we could see at the just-announced WWDC 2014 including iOS 8, OS X 10.10, new Mac minis and MacBook Airs, new Apple TV and a gaming SDK, and more!
- Win an amazing bundle of prizes from the new Ducati line by Element Case!: High end, premium cases for your iPhone... for free?! Get your entry in now!
- Win a new Apple TV contest! Because, unlike FireTV, it's available internationally!: We're giving away three (3!) of them, go enter now!
- Weekly photo contest: HDR!: Take a photo, win a prize. Get shooting!
Apple TV vs. Fire TV
- Apple TV vs. Amazon Fire TV: Which one should you get?: Ally puts the brand new Fire TV head-to-head against the Apple TV to see which one is best, at what, and for who!
- Fire TV, Apple TV, and what it all means for the gaming market: Chris takes the investor's angle and looks at what Fire TV and gaming specifically mean for the market and for Apple.
- Apple TV vs. Fire TV: Can Amazon's new contender knock the champ out of the ring?: Peter lets his inner LL Cool Jay out to take on the challenge faced by Amazon's new set top box.
- iPhone 5s vs. HTC One M8: Camera shootout!
- The mobile camera war is currently being fought in glass, in chips, in apps, and on the cloud. Where should iPhone 6 be?: Apple already makes the best image signal processing chip in the business but if they want to get better should they double down or branch out?
- Multipeer, meshed networks, and why risk managers will love them: Craig tells you why enterprise will want to get their multipeer on.
- Macworld|iWorld 2014 is over: Was it worth attending?
- Despite not being at Macworld|iWorld 2014, Microsoft made its presence felt
- WWDC 2014 to run June 2-6, developer tickets to be issued by random selection
- Introducing the Mobile Nations Newsroom: See all the news we posted this week? Here's how and why it happened!
- Apple snaps up speech recognition company Novauris, team now working on Siri: Anything that can make Siri better, faster, and more reliable. Throw them Apple's money!
- What's on Peter's Mac menu right now?: His dock not being enough for hyper-curious iMore readers, our managing editor now shares all the utilities he runs every day as well!
- Best transit apps for iPhone: Google Maps, Moovit, Citymapper, and more!: Apple maps doesn't include transit directions but there are several really great transit app on the App Store. Here are the best!
- Brain-bending game Monument Valley now on iPhone, iPad: If you haven't tried this yet you're missing one of the best darn games to hit iOS this year.
- Fantastical 2 for iPad review
- Microsoft Office for iPad review: Yep, it's good: Ally takes on Microsoft Office for iPad and... she likes it!
- How to fix a problem Home button on your iPhone 5: If your iPhone 5's Home button is crapping out and you want to save some cash by fixing it yourself, here's how!
- Going over the data limits on your iPhone or iPad? Here's how to track usage and prevent extra fees!: Don't pay more!
- iOS 7 Activation Lock bypass discovered, protect yourself with Touch ID or Passcode: Yeah, another bug Apple needs to fix, but in the meantime here's how to stay safe!
- How to set your Mac's firmware password (and why you shouldn't): It's an extra set of security but probably not one everyone needs.
Your most important story of the week?
That's just some of what we published last week. What do you consider the most important story? Did we list it or did we miss it? Let me know!