Why can't I turn on Maps extensions? Turns out it's an easy fix.
If you want to check out the new app extensions that are available in Apple's built-in Maps app but can't seem to figure out how to enable them, read on.
Maps extensions became available in iOS 10 just before the public launch of the new iPhone operating system. My colleagues swooned over all of the cool app extensions and what they could do.
I couldn't find them.
"Do you have OpenTable on your iPhone?" "Is Uber available in your area?" Yup and yup. Still no toggle switch in Settings. When I tried to enable an app that I knew was available as an app extension, I got nothin'.
Turns out, the problem was that I hadn't downloaded any app updates yet. Duh!
Maps extensions for apps only work on apps that have been updated to support the feature. So, if you don't see the toggle switch to enable an app extension in Maps, make sure it has been updated for iOS 10 to support the feature.
If you have automatic updates turned on, you probably won't have any problems. Those elusive toggle switches will already be there waiting for you.
Did you have trouble finding Maps extensions?
Please tell me I'm not the only one that had trouble figuring it out. Somebody have my back in the comments, will ya?
- What's new in the Maps app
- How to find locations and get directions with Maps
- How to share location and directions with Maps
- How to delete your search history and prior destinations in Maps
- How to use Siri with Maps
- How to enable and use Maps extensions
- Best Maps app extensions
- How to change settings for Maps
- How to report a problem in Maps
- How to use Maps with CarPlay