50 million iPhones sold + 35 million iPod touches = 85 million iPhone OS devices

85 million iPhone OS devices

Steve Jobs reported today that Apple had sold 50 million iPhones and 35 million iPod touch for a grand total of 85 million iPhone OS devices on the market (okay, 85,450,000 including the iPad).

Jobs said this was a great target for developers. He's right. No matter how many complaints there are about iPhone OS and Apple's stewardship thereof, that's a tremendous install base of devices that can pretty much all run the same OS (give or take a few features here or there) and same apps.

That's huge.

450,000 iPads sold, 600,000 iBooks, 3.5 million apps downloaded

iPhone 4.0: Spotlight searches Google and Wikipedia

Jonezed7 says:

I find it odd that there are more iPhones sold than iPod Touches.

DC says:

iphone OS 4.0 review hands on multitasking sneak peek video!

ABL says:

I NOTICE WHEN APPLE SAYS MILLIONS SOLD IT DOESNT MEAN ACTIVE USERS
I WAS AN IPHONE USER BEFORE BUT GOT TIRED OF RETURNIN THEM AND HAVIN TO PAY MORE FOR OTHER ONE AND I KNOW AM NOT ONLY ONE

ABL says:

VERY ODD 50 MILLION IPHONES SOLD WHEN ATT HAS ABOUT 1-3 MILLION IPHONE USERS WELL I PAY FOR 4 OF THEM BUT ALL BROKE DOWN ME WILL BE MOVING TO ANDROID SOON

TK says:

Remember the iPhone is available on a lot more networks in other countries. So while there may be about 1 to 3 million iPhone users in America, that leaves about 48 million iPhone users for the rest of the world.

antonsoze says:

Sales of 1-3 million in US is not close to correct. In 2009, prior to 3GS..."AdMob's June 2009 Mobile Metrics Report also offers an estimated breakdown of the number of iPhone and iPod touch devices sold in various countries. The company estimates that there have been 13 million iPhone and 12 million iPod touch units sold to date in the US based on user data in AdMob's network." Cya ABL.

Genepsu says:

Thier are 11 million iPhone users in the united states and then thier are users in other countries . If you don't know something don't respond . By the way why do people feel the need to tell the world that thier going to switch to droid . By the way droid has problems brakes and freezes . VERIZON limits the phone . The grass is always greener on the other side .

chris says:

@Gene. People cry switch to Droid because they are attention seekers and furthermore they're trying to justify it somehow. I just think some people are so dumb they won't now how to use any phone. Most of America is retarded.

CJ says:

Glad we're help keeping Chinese unemployment to a minimum.

PAT says:

Is anyone else as skeptical about buying/selling ads on the iPhone as I am? AdMob claims completely different numbers on iPhone sales than other sources. One can only wonder if the inflated number doesn't increase their earnings. I would dearly like to know if there is any independent source out there who can verify ad views on the iPhone. But I guess that's like looking for a source that can independently verify Google's numbers too. (Not that it matters--they don't care and won't pay for numbers they don't agree with).

youpiedepoupie says:

Strange, in the top 10 best selling phones of all times there's no iphone. Perhaps Steve wants us to believe something else.

Ajax says:

I used to be so annoyed beacuse I couldn`t resolve this situation. Then I identified your internet site in yahoo and problem is solved. Thank you!

K says:

LOL @ ABL lying through his teeth.