Apple addressing iPad Wi-Fi issues in software update

Apple has updated the support document that details iPad Wi_fi connection issues, adding that a software fix is indeed in the works. Two of the main Wi-Fi issues include a weak signal and forgotten passwords.

While waiting for Apple, if you happen to be part of the "very small number" of iPad users suffering from these iPad Wi-Fi issues, you can try some of the following workarounds:

• Update your Wi-Fi router firmware
  • Use WPA or WPA2 for your wireless security
  • Adjusting screen brightness
  • Renew your IP address

Any of these solutions work for you? Still having issues? Let us know in the comments below!

[Apple via Mac Rumors]

Jeremy

Community editor. Tech enthusiast. All-around geek.

Could Apple's MobileMe be going free?

Original AT&T iPhone exclusivity was a 5 year deal

Michael Reynaga says:

its happened to me a couple of times, never forgotten password but it will lose connection and re-connect, hope the fix comes soon but its been a really minor annoyance. it never refuses to connect, just drops/reconnects and only for a couple of seconds

Big Dookie says:

I was having the issue on my iPad 3G where it forgets my password. It would happen very frequently, at least once per browsing session, and I was getting really annoyed with it. However, someone else suggested using WPA2 instead of WEP (which is what I was using at the time) and changing the wireless channel on my router. I did both, and since then haven't had a single issue. Good to see a fix is in the works though.

iMikey says:

None of my apps push notifications work, Mobile Me does not push from the iPad (only to it) and find my iPad shows the iPad offline or not on a data network. This is on my home wifi network. I went to the Apple store to address the problems with a Genius and logged on to the Apple Store wifi and the iPad lit up like a pinball machine with all the push notifications coming thru! In addition, I could see my iPad in find my iPad again. Problem solved, not! Returned home to same problems, no push notifications and iPad could not be located. There is definitely an issue with the iPad connecting to certain networks.

Mitchell says:

28th here I come. I wanna reserve to pick up Apple!

India says:

I'm curious to know what adjusting the screen brightness has anything to do with the wifi signal?? Anyone have any insight on this??

Matt says:

I have WiFi issues whenever a web authentication portal is needed to connect to the router. Sure hope there's a fix!

Apple Worker says:

The ipad screen is a wifi antenna and the lower the brightness the stronger the signal you will recieve.

Gregz0r says:

What does adjusting brightness have to with the wi-fi signal?

Apple Worker says:

The best fix for the ipad wifi connection issues is to buy an Android tablet in the 3rd quarter of 2010. Shhh don't yell Steve I said that.

blyths says:

@Apple Worker,
Nice try, but the web page says you should increase your screen brightness if it is set to minimum and disable auto brightness.

Eric says:

Never a problem at home, but at work, it does have the reported problem where it holds onto the IP address after the router's DHCP expires it. But it doesn't become a problem unless the iPad locks. When I open after it's locked, it won't log on properly.
The solution is to turn WIFI off when you're not actively on the network, and then turn it on when you need to access it again. Apple's workarounds don't work as well as the ones that Princeton University came up with.

Limegrntaln says:

Never have issues with mine. The only time that I've ever seen connecting in the middle of surfing. I looked over at my laptop and the network icon had the little windows 7 cursor spinning. So I knew it was my actual router.

GinoDotCom says:

I actually have a stronger connection with my ipad to my home router than I do with my iPhone.. Go figure :)

AlanJN says:

I'm having the same issue with my iPhone 3G. Thought it was related to relatively new D-link n router.

Seth T says:

I have consistent issues with dropped WiFi signals and forgetting my password. It happens most often when the iPad "wakes" from the lockscreen. I can get ont he web for a good 20-30 seconds, but them the signal just drops and either doesnt connect or wants me to reenter the network password.
I have a router from the cable company, so not sure if any of these recommendations will work, but i'll try.

west3man says:

I have experienced multiple wifi issues including, but not limited to not being able to connect to a wifi network with my iPad although my phone and laptop connect to it just fine.
I got kinda sick of the Apple people at Best Buy saying that this is not an officially-recognized problem. We'll see.

Southernbell says:

I hope they find a fix soon, because this is ticking me off.

icebike says:

** Two of the main Wi-Fi issues include a weak signal and forgotten passwords.**
Will these fixes filter down to the iPhone?
Because forgotten passwords happens to me 4 or 5 times a week. If the iPhone has any trouble connecting it immediately forgets the password. I want a password lock-down.
Just because we took a half second power hit and my router is rebooting is no reason I should have to re-enter a password.

Apple Worker says:

Of your wifi doesn't work...the iPad is crippled lol

Jake says:

When I first got my iPad, I couldn't get wifi to connect at home at all... It worked fine at work, however. I ended up changing the encryption scheme on my access point from TPIK to AES. After that I haven't had a problem.

Bob says:

Have a 32 G WiFi & 3G model, have not tried the 3G yet, but was having a lot of these WiFi problems until I went to my routers website and looked for firmware updates.
I have a Dlink router, which would tell me in it's own browser that there were no new updates available since 2009. Just to be sure I went to the site and guess what? I found a firmware download that came out in March 2010.
So I backed up the router config file, installed the firmware update, reinstalled the router settings file and the Ipad went from a 48% signal up to 100% when it is in the same room with the router. It also started working better when out and about in the house, the signal is just much higher now.
I think the 802.11 version went from g to n from the update, and did it make a difference. Recommend you check your router's site, I think they have been doing things to keep up with Apple on Dlink.
that is the good news, most evertyhing runs faster and better and everything reconnects on return from sleep except for Weather Channel app. And still occasionally the browser will popup a note that there is no network, but that goes away in 2-3 seconds.
So Apple still has work to do on WiFi

jimmybowser says:

I was having problems with dropped signal and forgotten passwords frequently. I would lose my signal about every five minutes. So, I tried the WPA/WPA2 suggestion and changed the channel. I have not had any problems since then. Thank goodness. I was all prepared to head to Apple to exchange it. Now I don't have to. But, I will still look forward to an update that will address the issue to make the signal more stable.

Rodrigo says:

I was having same kind if troubles as others here, so frustrating password every 20 min ...
Saw a video on YouTube about brigthiness ...
Change my setting... Works fine now!!!
Incredible...
You can do the test yourself, just turn your brigthiness into minimal possible and the problem starts!!!

Sophie says:

Suck!! I'm returning my 2nd one on Monday- totally ridiculous!!

Sophie says:

Oh, and by the way "Jeremy", your comment "-very small number” of people with this wifi issue, please check your facts- there are ALOT of us with this problem!! Do you get kick backs from apple!?

Kevin says:

Sophie - the quotes around "very small number" indicate that Jeremy was quoting Apple, and quoting sarcastically. Calm down.

Alan says:

I switched my Actiontec/FIOS router to channel 11 and WPA2 security, this seemed to fix the problem for a while. The forgotten password prompt has returned, however, at least 3 times per day. Rebooting the router has no effect. I have the original iPad Wifi version and am hoping for a fix in the upcoming 4.0 software release.

Bill says:

Drops the router and tries to reconnect - may or may not be able to. Had to re-enter passwords at home and at work today. Always has full signal upon reconnect. Holds up full signal for a while and then drops down and disconnects again. REALLY frustrating.

sumsangtrade says:

Ipad software can update incesssent .I bought one Apple Ipad wifi 63gb from http://www.trade-whole.com/apple-ipad-wiff-mb294ll-64gb-wiff-p-313.html in competitive price.It bring me a lot convenient. I like it very much.

Theresa S says:

I have 16 gb 3g and it will not connect to my router. Always get " unable to join network" its extremely annoying. I have actiontach ( fios) i have tried everything. I dunno.

Charles Thompson says:

I have the iPad 3G 32 G and developed the WiFi disconnect problem after updating to version 3.2.2. I fixed it by resetting my IP address (disconnecting and reconnecting the modem). No other computers in the home have this problem, including my iPhone. Forgetting the network and re-entering my password did not work.

Steve says:

I downloaded WIFI finder a free APP.
I turn Ipad on and it doesnt connect to my home network. I tap WIFI finder and choose the network there. It connects first time and doesnt drop off.
Why is that?

Kat says:

Changing to WPA2 worked for me for about 6 months but then I started to lose connectivity again so I changed the channel from Auto to 11 and so far so good!! Thanks for all the help everyone

Theshadoeknows says:

i have a full signal and its still not letting me connect....it randomly quit while i was on the internet and hasnt worked since! tried restarding router and it saise exactly the same thing,that I have a full signal but everytime i click to connect it saise "unable to connect" any suggestions?

Inopunk12311234 says:

The same hapend to me and its makeing me mad

Kate4ayres says:

My ipad has been fine - no connection issues. The battery was running down even when the ipad was switched. I was told to switch off WIFi, location services, to see if that made a difference. It did, but now it won't connect. WiFi is switched on and my usual network is blue and there is a tick next to it. It takes me to the login page, then it goes to the redirection page and then nothing. If I go to Safari and and tap Google, a 'cannot open page because it is not connected to the internet' box comes up.

Kate4ayres says:

Triumphusa2 says:

I am having the same problem. I just updated it and still, nothing....
I guess its time to return to Apple for service.