Facebook integration into iPhone OS - Apple patent watch

Patently Apple discovered a recently published Apple patent detailing an "Add Contact" workflow and "Social Networking" workflow that specifically uses Facebook as it's main example. Now that does not mean this patent will not work with other social networks, but Facebook is the current king of the mountain and it makes sense considering that it was just last week heard Apple was looking to integrate Facebook into iPhone OS 4.

With the deep integration of social networking sites on various Android-based devices Apple does have some catching up to do. We all know, when Apple takes their time the final product usually tops all other implementations out there. Cut/Copy/Paste ring a bell? Good things come to those who wait.

[Patently Apple]

Jeremy

Community editor. Tech enthusiast. All-around geek.

Full iPhone potential, Verizon, Waiting for 2nd generation iPad, Jailbreak apps - From the Forums

Todo for iPad - app review

The Reptile says:

I sincerely hope that it's not exclusive to Facebook. Facebook is nice but I have far more contacts in LinkedIn than in Facebook. I'd hate to have easy integration for friends and a more challenging path for my extensive business contacts.

MrAnonymous says:

Great, another stock app that I'll never use.

jimbo says:

Great...a patent for one closed system to sync with another closed system, written broadly enough to sic lawyers upon those who try similar concepts.

iDavey says:

Honestly...I don't see how you could implement syncing of social sites with contacts any differently or better.
webOS and Android implementation is really as good as it gets. Apple will just add onto it and become another provider. I still prefer Android and their Quick Contact methods though.

Jellotime91 says:

@iDavey, clearly you've never used webOS's facebook contact syncing...
It has no options, it imports ALLLL of your facebook contacts into your phone. That's not a good implementation.

frog says:

Reptile: You, honestly, use social networking sites - as opposed to Outlook or similar -to keep a record of your business contacts?

brn2prgrm says:

sounds like @MrAnonymous has no friends.... sorry...

MrAnonymous says:

It's not a matter of whether or not I have friends, I just don't find the value in virtual socializing when I can do it person.

SI7VERWOLF says:

I'm with Mr Anonymous on this one - as a teacher, I'll never use Facebook et al. Meh, if they make it optional, but I do not want more useless apps cluttering up my screen that I can't remove without jailbreaking.

me says:

@mranonymous: Why have Facebook if you don't ever use it? Why waste your time commenting on it?

me says:

BTW. You're virtual socializing now. Idiot.

MrAnonymous says:

I commented because I wanted to express my opinion on the subject.

dloveprod says:

No thanks, I don't like facecrook

iBlackdude says:

Why calling people Idiots ?????
What's wrong with you guys ????????????????????????

killakow says:

very cool although it would be nice if apple implemented a way to hide or uninstall stock apps you don't wish to use. That way we are all happy. i've never used the stocks app in my life yet i can't get rid of it..

Isurrf says:

I guess ME didnt have to call him an idiot but he has a point lmaooo

Bryjer23 says:

Chill out people. With 4.0 you'll be able to put any apps that you don't use into a folder. You can make a folder just for apps that you don't use to get them out of the way. Now everybody's happy.

Derek says:

Facebook is abused in terms of usage. And in theory this sounds good, but not.

Nick says:

Man why does people love Facebook. I hate always going back into settings to change the privacy settings they always screw up. :( You know when Leo Laporte deleted his Facebook presence live on his show, there is something wrong with Facebook.

conor says:

oh great, another apple patent for the worlds biggest and almost only social site that people actually use. No thanks. You have enough lawsuits on your hand anyway

David Hua says:

I like the helpful information you provide in your articles. I will bookmark your blog and check again here regularly. One more thing,introduce my live cameras website:inurl /view/index.shtml to you, it's interesting.