Line2 brings iPhone, iPad calls into 21st century - TiPb at WWDC 2010

Line2 for iPhone and iPad

Peter Sisson, founder and CEO of Toktumi talks Line2, their premium, business-optimized calling solution for the iPhone and iPad (with optimized iPad UI coming soon). While many forms of communications have leapt forward in the digital age, our telcos have been content to keep telephony in the relative dark ages. Line2 is one of several services hoping to pull them kicking and screaming forward, with both cell and VoIP based solutions.

Currently you can conference call over VoIP -- which is really nice on an iPad -- with full call waiting and real SMS functionality. With iOS 4 VoIP will work in the background meaning apps like Line2 could just be first-class telephone solutions (and strangely carriers don't seem to be as afraid of this as they used to be).

Line2 competes with free-as-in-Google voice by offering a more user-centric app, with lots of features and a focus on customer care. They're US/Canada only at the moment but will be expanding into the top 7 international iPhone markets soon and especially for business users, they think their offer will be compelling. (Enough that Peter suggests a MiFi rather than device data plan might just be the way to go forward...)

Check out the video interview after the break!

[Line2 on iTunes]

TomTom talks iPhone, iOS 4 multitasking - TiPb at WWDC 2010

Father of webOS notifications leaves Palm for Apple

jonar1us says:

i dont have an iPad...iPhone 4 rules

Matt Sawyers says:

I can't get over the fact that they offer a 1-800 to you for like $15 a month! They are the only ones that don't seem to charge for the minutes. I sorta feel like I am ripping them off lol

dloveprod says:

It looks nice but Skype is so much cheaper and everyone uses it already.

Mike says:

Uh... Whistle is FREE. No thanks Line2, but you can go rip off droid users...

Jraskal says:

I wonder if it can integrate functionality with Google Voice, which is my main number now. That's the only thing that is keeping me from switching to Iphone (previously it was the network, but with the 4th gen has me convinced to overlook that!)

excaliburca says:

Would like to see some of these VoIP apps allow you to use handsfree bluetooth... if I could do that I'd be using VoIP on my phone primarily.

jay0heavenly says:

This is EXACTLY what I needed. Presently, I have a blackberry (business line) and an iPhone for my personal line. I really like having 2 numbers because I give all of my clients my number (some of which call me at all times of the night for ridiculous reasons).
With them adding SMS, and it already having the ability to automatically roll over to another line if you don't pick up, this thing is a dream. I'm dumping my Blackberry on June 24th and never looking back.
Thanks again Line2!!!!!!

jasondeno says:

I use this for my office and employees and love it. GREAT JOB guys!

Mike says:

Hahaha, how many of these comments are by employees of Line2? This garbage app charges for something other apps do for free and do it better. Whistle is not only free, but you can call anywhere in NA without paying and it gives you two lines and conference calling. Keep apps free!

Peter Sisson says:

For the record, all our employees identify themselves when they post comments, including me. Our customers like the service, and they often post about it.
As to the argument you can get this for free, you can get cheap calling for free, but we are not in the cheap calling business. If all you need are cheap minutes but don't care about reliability or features - you'd be silly to pay for Toktumi. Most of our customers are professionals who need to have a reliable service with business features and live customer support. Some people pay to fly business class, some people want a cheap seat. I think we all know what price-only competition has done to the cheap seat experience on airlines. Business class competes on service and features. So do we.

Mike says:

What a cheap response. You compare yourself to business class because you overcharge your customers? Nice. Give Whistle a try and tell me what you offer besides worse reception, less features, and oh yeah... A bill. Your reply reeks of arrogance, false advertising, and a lack of respect for customer's intelligence.
Give Line2, Skype, and Whistle a try... Wont be hard to judge for yourself...

John says:

As to the argument you can get this for free, you can get cheap calling for free, but we are not in the cheap calling business. If all you need are cheap minutes but don’t care about reliability or features – you’d be silly to pay for Toktumi. Most of our customers are professionals who need to have a reliable service with business features and live customer support. Some people pay to fly business class, some people want a cheap seat. I think we all know what price-only competition has done to the cheap seat experience on airlines. Business class competes on service and features. So do we.............................................................................str8 pwned!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Steve says:

"str8 pwned" - what are you 7?
With video calls coming to iPhone and skype integration, that will be my preferred app. I like window seats ;)

Kelijah says:

Well I've been using Line2 for about a month know and i absolutely love it. I don't mind paying a small premium $15 for their service because it offers what I need without getting ripped off by At&t. Thanks for the great app Peter. I can't wait for hopefully a push feature. •crossesfingers•

Kelijah says:

Also Whistle gives you some random 800 # Line2 allows you to choose your number.

enyce says:

The biggie is when will the SMS be supported? I am dying to know.
I will happily buy a iPhone if I have a way to not use ATT's service. I will link it to my Verizon MiFi and have the best coverage, with the best phone. I am using the demo on my iPad which is jailbroken, so I can run it in the background and its great. But the ipad is a little big to carry around as just a phone :)

Andy Crossett says:

I have Toktumi, and think it is a great service.
Wonder why I pay for a minutes plan at all on my phone.
They run a first class service, helped me through some issues and I'm a very happy customer.
Can't wait till iPhone 4.0 when background processing is available,
Anyway, keep doing a great job!
Andycrossett@gmail.com

kristina says:

I still don't have an iphone, I can't believe that they would distribute to Verizon Wireless. AT&T has such bad reception!

Clay says:

$15 a month for line 2 is cheep!! Anyone who can't go the $15 has much bigger problems than voip

diesel says:

has anyone tried line2 with ipad over 3g (not wifi)?

Kumar says:

Line2 developer needs a lot of work to be done. They promised many functions which does not work such as Iphone contact address book, only few contact been copied not all. search doesn't give any result from contact with using Line2. At least it works where AT&T service unreachable and we pay them for nothing.

Neil says:

I've been using Line 2 for my employees in remote offices for about a year now and everyone loves it. Great voip service for a fraction of the cost of my previous provider. Couldn't agree more with the premium service at a reasonable cost argument. In fact, the service is so inexpensive that I bought a bunch of extra lines to use for call tracking. Now I know where my inbound calls are coming from.
What a fantastic service!

Ingrid Barlow says:

The unique thing about SEO is that it could be either a permanent process or only a half-hour job.