iPhone being tested at JP Morgan, other enterprises

iPhone is being tested at JP Morgan and other large enterprises as an alternative to RIM's BlackBerry, Bloomberg reports. They have 220,000 employees. UBS AG with 63,000 employees is doing likewise and Standard Chartered Bank will have 15,000 iPhones distributed by end of year.

Cost savings and employee preference were the two biggest factors cited by companies for the shift in the Sanford Bernstein survey. Employees would rather own an iPhone and are increasingly willing to buy the device themselves, which helps cuts costs as companies look to rein in spending, said Sanford Bernstein’s Ferragu.

Wells Fargo previously switched to iPhone and iPad. Enterprise is a momentum game and it looks like that momentum is changing.

Are you using iPhone in your enterprise?

[Bloomberg]

iPhone live 116: #fail

iPod nano fashion: a lady's best high-tech friend?

Josel says:

We used to have purely blackberry but in mid-2009, we were given the choice to use iphone or blackberry and now all our execs are using iphone and some of our supervisors. We have also started using ipad for our people on the go.
Some are still using blackberry just for the QWERTY pad while some employees use both.
We also got enterprise discount from AT&T.

Josel says:

Some have already gone nuts by getting overly jealous about others getting iPhones.

Eric says:

We use iPhones and are testing iPads. I work for a fortune 500 and they have historically been very conservative. RIM is in deep dodo.

fish1856 says:

I just hooked up my iPhone to our server, no hassel nothing. Just worked. Haven't had any draw back to using it over a blackberry

Jcal08 says:

Yea... The torch and Storms were a fail.. This just further more says that

omar little says:

I would love to use my IPhone 4 for work, but my company uses Lotus Notes, and they don't have the Traveler server for push email.

jstrickland says:

We certainly don't rank as a fortune 500 company. We only have 30 employees. I can say though, that the iPhone has by far been the easiest of any of the smartphones to deploy in our business environment, and has proven to be quite popular.

Dan says:

i work for a major insurance company (IT side of things) indeed we are testing as well.

mullrat says:

Work for a major hospital system. It's insane how much money we spend on BES which sits on top of exchange. Fewer and fewer blackberries are around. Still the majority but iphone and web os are the growing platforms now.

Cezar Signori says:

It was time for iPhone to come up on this kind of market.
My company is not really a big enterprise (ArcTouch Inc), but we are distributed all over the world and all the employees are doing very well with iPhone.

Webvex says:

I work for government and, while they aren't purchasing iPhones yet, I see tons of them in use every day. Lots of personal iPads too. Only the netadmin types use Android. All of us devs have personal iPhones and iPads. I think RIM is losing government slowly and Google made a mistake by having Android so open. Apple will do well in enterprises, if they don't get too carried away with horsecrap like Game Central and Ping.

c0sm0 says:

Although iPhone is a much more fun device to own, it isn't as secure in the enterprise as a Blackberry. BES is now free as well if you don't want support but in most cases you do need another server to run it unlike ActiveSync which is built into Exchange. I think Blackberry still has its niche market in the high security world but they do need to make their devices more appealing to the end user.

Mike Spiers says:

I work for a $34.07 billion a year revenue company, and unfortunately we're not allowed to use iPhones... I'm not even allowed to connect my personal iPhone to the internal email servers... BB's all the way. Something to do with internal Security department stating that Apple's email solution isn't secure like RIM's...

ghostface147 says:

I work for a homebuilder and we get email working on iPhones and Android products. However we don't support them. Blackberry is our standard and we aren't changing it.

Rjd says:

Wait until they find out how many calls it drops. They won't be so excited then.

tuscanidream says:

My friends work uses nextel for the wallow talkie feature. They have the worst cell reception ever. I asked why not the iPhone and he said because it doesn't have a wallow talkie function. I don't get it. The iPhones could sync with address book server and they could use facetime.

langley182 says:

Has anyone noticed that the picture of the iPhone 4 has some sort of lines around the speaker cutout? Anyone know what that is?

Ian pusey says:

I work for the worlds number one wind energy company, vestas
. And we are currently rolling out iPhone 4 as the company phone of choice. Annoying as I shelled out £599 for mine and now am getting a free one. !

Dexter says:

I work at an international company and was instrumental in getting our Blackberry plan replaced with iPhones due to the increased functionality within our corporate system as well as the overall cost effectiveness. :)

CeZ says:

well, the same article from Bloomberg also mentioned they are testing iPhone AND android at the same time, selective reading eh? :P

Dexter says:

Everyone constantly remarks at how much better the iPhone is at syncing to our email servers through the Good for Enterprise app!

Froman says:

I work at JPMorgan and am part of the iPhone pilot. The Good for Enterprise app is pretty nice. I like only having to carry one device for personal and work (JPM only pays for data on the blackberry.)

rick2123 says:

Its great that the iphone is extending into the enterprise market. What will make it fail you ask? Battery life....
Try rocking your iphone all day long and then try going out for drinks afterwards. Your iphone will not make it through the night. I would love to make the switch. I have had an iphone and believe it could be the best phone ever made. If only the battery could perform like my 9700.

Jon - Ambient Rings says:

It's nice to see the iPhone making the inroads in the enterprise market. Before it can become widespread, though, Apple will probably have to create a separate activation environment, and remove iTunes entirely from the IT process.