Apple releases Mac OS X 10.6.5 ahead of iOS 4.2

As part of the steady march towards iOS 4.2, Apple has released Mac OS X 10.6.5. Beta versions of this OS were said by developers to be necessary to enable iOS 4.2 iPhone and iPad AirPrint support for networked printers. Now, however, there have been rumors networked AirPrint support has been postponed or cancelled.

We'll try it out with the iOS 4.2 GM but we likely won't know for sure until the release version of iOS 4.2 hits, hopefully soon.

If you've updated to 10.6.5 and have iOS 4.2 GM, let us know if it works for you!

Steve Jobs replies to questions regarding AirPrint

O2 to offer Angry Birds iPhone 4 cases

TheCheapGeek says:

Its not working for me, what setup besides sharing my printer on the network is required?

andrewlih says:

it's not working for my iOS 4.2 neither.

SaMaster14 says:

Do you need Snow Leopard to get OSX 10.6.5? I have normal Leopard (10.5.8) and there are no software updates available for me.
If this is the case, will I not be able to update my Ipad and Ipod Touch to OS 4.2??

Avenged110 says:

Doesnt work with my printer. No signs of functionality with update vs. 10.6.4

Sidberto says:

Does it work with a network enabled printer (stand alone), a printer shared from a computer, or both?

Flaky says:

Airprint using shared printer had definitely been removed from 10.6.5 (although it still works if you install an earlier beta build which included it first and then update to the latest release build)
Have no idea why they removed it, it works great with iOS 4.2GM

grim020 says:

Flaky says:

MACBOOK, yes you need Snow Leopard

icewing#IM says:

@MacBook, yes, they are considered different - to go from 10.5.x to 10.6.x you have to purchase an upgrade.

SaMaster14 says:

So do you need OSX 10.6.5 to update an iPad or Iphone to 4.2?? (or to use Airprint on an updated Ipad/Iphone)?

freddy says:

No, you don't need OSX 10.6.5 to update an iDevice to iOS 4.2, any OSX will work for that with the proper level iTunes. You need OSX 10.6.5 to (or when it was supposed to be included) enable Airprint when with a shared printer.

Anonymous says:

@Freddy
Not true, you need at least 10.6.x, I believe, to use an iPhone 4. Don't give out incorrect info.

dloveprod says:

Maybe it'll be in 10.6.6 lol

rickdo says:

I'm on 10.6.5 how I setup HP Photosmart C4400 serie?

candyer says:

I am a little hesitant downloading this because I know there was problems with this stuff in the past (iTunes crash or bad reliability etc.) is there any problems with 10.6.5? Maybe I'm just paranoid, but I have got a bandwidth limit
PS: I have some other good APPS from Aneesoft want to recommend. Maybe someone will like it.

MILE says:

Well, Mac OS X 10.6.5 is finally here but I still can’t print from my iOS devices running the final verion of 4.2 — so what now…?!
First I was hoping I could print directly to my WiFi enabled HP printer, but of course that didn’t work, even though I don’t understand why not…!? Other 3rd party apps, including HP’s own iOS app, see the printer just fine and can make use of it…
Then I was hoping for OS X 10.6.5 so it would let me print using the Mac as some kind of hub, but again it won’t…! So I guess I can just forget about printing from the iPad, Apple seems pretty much unable to deliver…!

Santelia says:

Upgraded SL to 10.6.5.
Set printer sharing to off on my newest iMac.
Tried to print from iPad with 4.2 GM with an app that already does it via printer simulator (dev tools, as you kow printer is only simulated so you get a preview only).
Printer to be targeted: officeJet pro networked with ethernet.
Result: no printer found.
Then set printer sharing to on on my iMac, and shared that printer.
Result: no printer found.
Frustrating.

jeffrow says:

@Anonymous
I run 10.5.8, and have an iPhone 4 that runs just fine. Dont give out incorrect information.

aanthai says:

Yes print works both from iPhone 4 or iPad on both Hp laserjet 1320, Canon iP4700 or Canon selphy cp740

Mardin says:

@Aanthai
I have Canon iP4700 and cant get it to work. Running OSX 10.6.5 and iOS 4.2 GM on iPad. No printer found. :-(
How do setup? Is the printer connected directly to the Mac or to Airport Extreme? Did You have previously working Developer version of OSX with working Airprint installed BEFORE installing the Final OSX 10.6.5 Update or just updated from 10.6.4??
Please give a Quick guide to how You guys have done :-)

aanthai says:

I have previously working Developer version of OSX with working Airprint installed BEFORE installing the Final OSX 10.6.5 Update.. and my printers is set to sharing on network :-)

Madhava says:

10.6.5 Update works perfectly on VMware OSX Guests, I tried it this morning no problem.
For anyone who wants to know how to get OSX working in VMWare Workstation on Windows 7 for iPhone Development I have made a blog post about it on our site.

dloveprod says:

Hey, maybe it'll be included with itunes 10.1, there's still hope, lol.

MILE says:

@Dionte: I have iTunes 10.1 Beta on here but that doesn't really make any difference…
It sucks anyway that I can't just print directly to a WiFi enabled printer in the first place but now even the more cumbersome method (using a shared network printer) that was supposed to be an alternative doesn't work either…!? What the heck is it with Apple and printers that they always mess it up…?! :(

jtz5 says:

I have a general question about Airprint and the new HP e-Print printers....
Is the iPhone/iPad interface supposed to work like a wireless network printer and you just select print from a document or photo? I was under the impression that was the case since "print" was an option on the iPhone along with copy, etc when Jobs described it a few weeks ago.
After looking at the new HP C410a e-Print All-in-One that would replace my C7250, I am under the impression that you take a document and email it to a unique HP address and it will print it from anywhere.
Can someone explain what Airprint will do since it doesn't look like Airprint is required to print remotely like I describe above with the new e-Print HP machines. If that e-Print technology works for any smartphone, what is the purpose of Airprint and why are only the new e-Print HP printers supported?
Thanks.

dloveprod says:

@MILE I meant in the final version.

iLoveRSX says:

It broke my VMWare OSX install so I had to revert back to 10.6.4. Oh well. If anyone knows what I'm doing wrong please tell me. After install I can get into OSX but neither mouse nor keyboard works...My guess is that the OS is frozen, nothing wrong with input...

Irene says:

I have 10.6.5 but my printer is now completely gone regardless of repeating efforts to install/reinstall drivers (canon ip5200R)... The computer just won't recognize the printer. what do you do? :(

send a press release says:

A great article for everyone who loves webdesign and SEO. Thanks!