Tip: How to make your iPhone battery life last longer
Need to find out how to make your iPhone's battery life last longer? There are quite a few ways in which you can help your iPhone save power. Some are very intuitive but hopefully we will tell you a few which you have not yet thought of.
Special thanks to michaelchang516 from the forums for this tip!
The basic idea is this: anything running on your iPhone uses up the battery, so we're going to go into the Settings app and turn some things down, and turn others off altogether. The more you turn off, the longer your batter will last -- but of course the less you'll be able to do. It's a balancing act but one that can help you squeeze out a little extra juice when you really need it.
- Set Auto-Lock to 1 minute
- Turn off any extra sounds, like keyboard clicks
- Turn off the iPod EQ
- Use headphones instead of the speaker if you have to listen to audio or music
- Turn down the screen brightness
- Turn off Bluetooth when not using it
- Turn off Wi-Fi when not using it
- Turn off 3G when not using it
- Turn off Location Services when not using them
- Turn off Push Notifications
- Set all email, calendar, and contacts accounts to "Fetch" (turn off Push)
- Double-click the Home Button to activate the multitasking dock, hold your finger on an app to enter "jiggly" mode, and kill any apps that might be running in the background, especially VoIP (like Skype), streaming audio (like Pandora), or navigation (like TomTom).
Bonus tip: If you're really desperate, put your iPhone in Airplane Mode and save the radios for when you need them. If you're really desperate, you can also turn your iPhone completely off until you need it (it will still use a tiny amount of power but far, far less than anything else).
So how did these tips work out for you? Give us your feedback, and any other tips for saving iPhone battery life you might have, in the comments!
Tips of the day will range from beginner-level 101 to advanced-level ninjary. If you already know this tip, keep the link handy as a quick way to help a friend. If you have a tip of your own you’d like to suggest, add them to the comments or send them in to email@example.com. (If it’s especially awesome and previously unknown to us, we’ll even give ya a reward…)
Have something to say about this story? Share your comments below! Need help with something else? Submit your question!