iPhone Bugs: Home Button not working?

Several of our readers (and one of our editors...) are reporting a bug where the iPhone Home Button does not always respond to single-click or double-clicks. It might be software related as most people seem to have begun noticing this problem after installing iOS 4.1. It was hoped the bug would be fixed in iOS 4.2.1 but no such luck. Other causes that have been considered include a hardware short or dust or lint getting under the button. Ally also mentions that it may be caused by the home button not being properly centred. Possible symptoms and fixes, after the break.

Is your iPhone Home Button not working properly?

Issues (intermittent)

• You single or double-click and nothing happens
  • You double-click and it only registers a single click

Fixes

Yes, it is as bleak as it is annoying. Have you had this bug yourself? Any other fixes you've tried?

Georgia

Senior Editor at iMore and a practicing therapist specializing in stress and anxiety. She speaks everywhere from conferences to corporations, hosts the ZEN & TECH podcast, and should be followed on Twitter @Georgia_Prime.

Apple's New UK Prices

Handbrake updated, adds support for iPhone 4, iPad, and AppleTV 2nd Gen

Ian says:

My home button failed totally out of the blue for no apparent reason. I tried all the fixes listed here including an iTunes restore (agonizing), but nothing worked. Here's what did: press the button with your thumb and rotate in a circular motion around the edge of the button with it depressed. Bam. Works again instantly like nothing ever happened. Seriously!

twortiz says:

tried it. seems to work. :)

AlanRobo says:

Thanks. Removed sceen protector, used a cloth and pressed the home button and moved in circular motion. IT WORKS!

alex says:

This worked for me too. Thanks!

Jeff1974w says:

Mine home button is intermittent. I believe it is a software issue because doing a respring solves the problem.

Rashid Sultan says:

Hi guys,
I just figured it out. Turn off wifi and problem is fixed.
I hope Apple can soon fix this bug.
Rashid

woofpack says:

had the same issue, home button not working on a 6 month old iphone4.
sprayed compressed canned air in a circular motion around the home button for about 5-7 seconds and it totally fixed my phone!
hope it works for you!
good luck

Michael says:

the canned air trick seemed to work for me, too. Thanks!

Antonio says:

I had this issue with my iPod touch 4th gen, i called apple service and since there isnt an authorized apple center where i live they sent me a box so i could send then my device and so i did, 3 days letter i get the box back with a new iPod touch, so far no problems and i must say the home button feels different and works perfectly

Beverly says:

Genius Bar deleted important research photos to fix loud ear microphone. The fix was close all icons by double click home button. Touch icon till shakey. Press red dot to close. Bad Genius instruction data.

MJ says:

I have a 3G and I had this problem for a long time and it was getting really frustrating. Once I started to look up for solutions on the internet, in one of the articles there was a quick mention that a protective case can also cause such problem. Then I removed the case and thanks god IT WORKED!

Michael says:

Many of the so called "fixes" here, are BS and seem to work because of coincidence. From personal experience I learned that the problem is related to my jailbreak. What I suggest to anyone having this problem is:
1) Restore stock firmware to make sure the issue isn't caused by the jailbreak software / libraries. Some of them are hacks, you can't expect them to be as foolproof as the stock ios software. Besides you need to restore to stock anyway if you proceed with step 2
2) As soon as the problem returns while running stock firmware, it's 99% sure that it's a hardware issue: Get the device replaced.
Hope this helps people not to lose too much time on this issue!

promalta says:

Mine is not jailbroken or anything is as it was when i bought it. but still is giving me problems with the button after i made the update.

Tom Southgate says:

I have an iPhone 4 that I got in November 2010. Just today, my home button randomly stopped working - I couldn't do anything. How I dealt with the problem: Let my phone run out of charge, connected it to my MacBook Pro, moved the home button in a circular motion for about 3-5 seconds. This fixed the problem, not sure why though. Try it, I was surprised.

Shilpi says:

Thanks, this trick worked for me too. I had the same problem.

mike says:

had same problem. . unresponsive home button. . it would work rarely. . it was not a software problem. . I live in Thailand and there is no genius bar. . so i brought it to the shop and they took the phone apart and it was just and the material inside the home button was bent a bit. . they replaced it and the phone works perfect...

Mike also says:

Mike, strange as this seems, I'm Mike and I live in Bangkok. Can you tell me what shop you took your iPhone to for repair? I'm having the same problem. Thanks/Mike also!

Billy says:

I just "fixed" mine by repeatedly pressing the button with the end of a ballpoint pen. About 50 times with moderate force. I am going with corroded contacts needing cleaning here. Saved me a couple hundred $.
Be careful, but don't be gentle.

Joshua Powell says:

This started happening intermittently with mine over the past few weeks. I took it to the genius bar, the guy said it was a known fault and swapped it for a brand iPhone 4.

Kyle says:

For those who think their problems are associated with software(ie.jailbreak) and not hardware(dust, faulty parts) try this....reboot in safe mode.....

Ryan says:

This has started happening to my phone within the last couple of weeks. I keep doing the soft resets and that will clear it up for a little while and then it starts all over again. Sometimes it will recognize the home button on the fourth or fifth time I press it. I read about the dust possibly being an issue, but I've never had this problem before. I think it has something to do with the software. I'm going to try to keep the camera running in the background and see if that fixes it, for now. I really don't have the time to take it to an Apple Store, which is 2 hours away (unless there is traffic). At least I now know it's not just me experiencing this issue, which means that it definitely has something to do with Apple!

Jay says:

I've had my iPhone 4 10months now running the original 4.0iOS jailbroken and I've been having this problem on a daily basis. I used to do a screenshot which the home button recognizes oddly enough and it would work for a while after that. Now it doesn't even recognize that. So I just tried running the camera and it seems To be working. If doing these things make it responsive it's hard to imagine that it is hardware related. I would imagine that the best thing to do is return it and get a new one considering that 4-5 software updates have obviously not fixed the problem.

Daniel says:

My home button stopped working about 2 weeks ago. After reading this blog, I upgraded to version 4.3.1 It is now working again. Weird and annoying. I'll spray it with air next. I hope this solves the problem. Fingers crossed.

Foksie says:

Hello, All big problems with the 4, I've got mine for 1 month and the home button was not responding like it should and that for a mobile @749€!!!, taking it to an apple store is a disaster in Belgium, your out for several weeks!! as I found on the net it seems to be a big problem with the 4! so many broken home buttons, is it a bug or is it cheap hardware? I think cheap hardware, I do repairs on computers and mobiles and I found the home button of an iPhone cheap hardware, I don't think that a home button of a 4 should hold for years and years,it's build of a small thin bolded round steel piece and placed on a printed circuit with a copper dot separated by a copper border and that should make contact, good for ????times, I've my thoughts. I hope that the new 4 holds better hardware. Apple, do your best.

Chad says:

Same problem...just started acting up in the last day or so...had previously noticed when entering apps it would automatically exit the app as if I had hit the home key when I had not...just checked my warranty, it expires in less than 2 weeks...scheduled a apple cust service rep to call me tomorrow as I am 2+ hours away from Genius bar as well...I'm running non jb 4.3.3 never had this problem with previous versions...third iphone and first problem with home button...hoping that cust service will offer replacement as i'm thinking its a hardware issue

Chad says:

those of you who had yours replaced...did they give you much trouble over the replacement...did they have to verify the problem prior to offering a replacement phone?

Thomas says:

I have the same problem, I am on an iphone 4 with 4.3.1 and has had this since 4.1 I think.. It's worse on some days than others but in general REALLY annoying! I might go in to the apple store and have a chat with them... it seems strange though.. have anyone tried to reroll back to ios 4.0 ?

Alex says:

If you have installed Activator try "reset settings" on activator.
Worked fine for my non responding home button.(iphone4)

Thomas says:

What is Activator? And my phone is not jailbroken btw. uhm... ? :)

Jimmy says:

I had the same problem with my I4 for months now. Mine was slightly different. I can make the button work if i press really hard in a sort of angle. My fingers got used to pressing hard on the home button. What i did not realize is i was pressing harder and harder over a couple of months. I got another phone from my colleauge and his was so much easier to press. It is a hardware problem and they replaced my phone in 5 minutes upon showing them the problem. The guys there just had to press once on the home button and they know the problem already just to verify. I'm just worried if it happens again once my warranty is expired.

Raymond says:

Just blow compressed air up through the opening buttom where the charge port is. After getting fustrated I used an air blower from work and it's perfect now. Im guessing lint and dust get on the contacts and mess with the connections.

Paul Slocum says:

This happened to me. I shut down my phone by holding the power button and restarted, and it started working again.

J12david says:

This problem coupled with my phone not charging, caused me to start investigating. After unsuccessfully getting my sim card out both issues magically fixed themselves. I know... It doesn't make sense.

guest says:

I can't believe the slap-fix worked. I know mine is no software as the issue started within days of getting the phone, and a week or so after that i did a complete reintall (from factory settings) and still had the issue. I had the issue with all the various software updates too. Mine is definately hardware related.. i wonder how long the slap-fix will continue to work. I'm really disappointed in apple about this, it seems to be a very common problem and it really drives me crazy when the home button isn't working. It sounds like if i were to send it off to apple and get a new one, i'd probably end up with the same issue.

guest says:

Yes, slap works for me too. Crazy solution!!

THuggins2 says:

Worked for me as well. Blow..slap slap. I think I just gave it CPR!

Allynedmiston says:

Slap it works!!! Four months of anger gone!!! Thanks!!

Dwayne says:

I got a new phone two days ago and have been experiencing the same sticky button issue. The Slap Fix worked for me. no more stuck button.

Scorpion_mushi says:

slapiing nither sequeezing is working for me:( how to sequeez the button?

1. turn ur "passcode on" with any combination.
  2. open any application.(ur homescreen button is not working, but power button would help).
  3. press the power button and slide to unlock.
  4. before entering ur combination/lock code, press "emergency call" and then click "back".
GPappleguy says:

This particular problem started to happen to my IPhone 4 when before I updated to IOS 4.2.3. I notice I couldn't close out apps or multitask. When I open an app and try to press the home button to close it out it was not responding. I tried pressing the home button numerous times but nothing happen so I decided to update to IOS 4.3.3. Immediately after I updated to IOS 4.3.3 the home button begin to work again but now today I experienced the same problem again. I really need help to solve this issue.

SEvans says:

This occurs on my iPhone constantly. 4.2-4.3.3. I was worried I had water damage.

AnnoyedBloke says:

This is very annoying I hope they fix it soon

Slipknot79x says:

Most of the time my home button registers as a double click when it's only a single click. Very odd

tk1235 says:

I had the same problem up to yesterday.what i did was press home and sleep button together and wait for apple logo.when phone switches on turn off phone and switch your phone back on then sync your phone this worked for me

Ripple_style says:

I have had this issue intermittently (In fact, I just had it a moment ago). I'm not sure what version of iOS I'm running, but I have not updated it in a bit. I was able to get it to work again by slapping the phone against my thigh. This leads me to suspect that this is a hardware issue (loose connection?). I plan to have my phone looked at, so, we'll see...

Hank says:

hahahaha!!! AWESOME!! I just read your comment and start smacking my phone~! and BAM!!! IT works!! hahahaha
silly iPhone!! Thinks its smarter than me...
Hank

Lewisandholmes says:

"iPhone slapping" works!!!! Weird but it does work.

Atlanticcanuck says:

No way...
I just tried the blowing method first and it did not work. Then I tried the slapping method. I figured I was on cadid camera or just for laughs but damn if it did not work right away.
Go figure.

Guest says:

that's hilarious. tried blowing, nothing. slapped it twice. boom. done.

Ih says:

Another "Slapper" here. It WORKED! WTF?

Ken says:

Fantastic! Slapped it two times, and the home button works again!

Fergster says:

Brilliant - was laughing before i tried the iphone slapping - but unbelievable it worked after two slaps on the thigh!!! Fingers crossed it stays working.....

Lindsay says:

OMG it worked for me too!

Colette says:

Ditto - Crazy but THANK YOU! :)

John says:

Mon dieu i thought i was the only one with this problem. Your method WORKS ! =D

Support PT says:

Tight Slaps worked for me too!

Mike says:

I was smirking off reading your recommendation...but to my surprise...it did work!!!
but such an old fashioned fix for a gadget like the iphone 4 pisses me off!

Agostinam says:

here's another happy slapper! It worked!!

Jesperib says:

WTF !!! It works - thanks :-)

Roocell says:

slapping totally worked for me too! crazy...
definitely a hardware issue and the apple store should be taking care of this.

Blacklily says:

Wow!!! It works. Lol and this is after I did a restore. Thanks!!!

Jstagigolo says:

Funny. Thigh slapping. It works.

JB says:

Spent an hour trying to turn my iPhone 3GS off...was getting depressed reading about all the possible ways to fix it, including CLEAN RESTORES, LIONS & TIGERS & BEARS OH MY. I arrived to this answer, figured, 'what the heck' and slapped my phone twice on my thigh (it felt great) and wouldn't you know it worked like a charm! Hats off to Mr. Ripple. I can go to bed now.

Gbunverdi says:

Maaan ure a hero! İ swear to god they should make statues of you :D
My iphone 4 white is just a month old and i experienced this problem but no more haha:D

Edwardfaley says:

Thanks a million for the suggestion. Two slaps on the thigh and I'm good to go.

Vhenster says:

Hahaha.. Its worked i am suffering this problem almost two months.. Thanks guys

EagleyeSmith says:

Yea, I have this issue. Sucks. iOS 4.3.3 :-(

Pghrick says:

4.01 and having the issue. tired reboot. have not tried updating or restoring.

Kermor1010 says:

Tried both resetting and restoring, and cleaning. Nothing works. Just short of taking a hammer to it

Bindslinds says:

i took mine to apple store. they said they'd replace it if the restore didn't work.

;] says:

kay, i know your probably really sceptical, and you probably wont listen to this advice, but really, i hit it five times against my thigh after i tried EVERYTHING else, and it fixed it xD if for only temporarily, it worked !

Grandhir says:

I had the same issue on my Iphone 4. About a month ago, while putting air in my tires, I just blew air into the charging port for a second or two. Now, it works like a charm.

Melon743 says:

I took the advice of two commenters and gently blew into the charging port for 1-2 seconds then pressed the home and power button until I saw the apple. Then I turned it off and back on once more and it seems to be working now

EagleyeSmith says:

Maybe I'm not pressing down hard enough? ... :-/
I don't know, I think that might be the case w/me. I've been doing that for the past few hours and everytime it's regisitered both single and double clicks.

Summer Dee says:

Thanks to whoever suggested slapping it against nyour thigh, worked perfectly! For a three day old phone though this shouldnt be happening, mines going back for a new one!

Xstephy_clarex says:

mine does it sometime when i plug it in to things sometimes lke computers and certain speckers... is there anything i can do?

Beth says:

I've just started having this problem. Was going to take my phone into the apple store - am guessing it's not really worth it if there's no fix available at present?

RusSav says:

at 4.3.3 on iPhone4 and still have the issue. I've questioned if moisture from a warm pocket could be a hazard. I honestly just have to press it a little firmer and it will work. Really unfortunate though, considering the price of the device.

Lauren says:

I also have to press the home button more firmly and it will respond but a normal press of the button doesn't do it.

Rclark528 says:

i have this issue. very frustrating.

Kellybosso says:

Wow, just tried the slap in desperation and it worked! Thanks!!!

marleighandmee says:

i have had this same problem.. i've restored it and it seems to work when it wants to.. :( apple needs to fix this problem ASAP..

safford15 says:

surdy - you keep posting this... I tried your trick and it did not solve the problem.

Airam_aries says:

experienced the issue just now, and i turned the phone off and on multiple times already but still not working and i hope it'll be fix by restoring it

FabOra says:

Try holding on to the power button, till u see slide to power off. Now release power button and press the home button at the pressure you would use on the home button. It should change to the icon springboard screen( with all the icons). It should work properly after that.
Took the advice from another discussion which i was trying to find. But try it anyway it worked for me. I suspect mine is a sofeware issue that made it seem like a hardware issue.
Try before sending it for repairs or replacement.

CAQmd says:

That did it for me, at least for now. Other solutions seemed to work but just temporarily.

Ecamariano27 says:

Funny how i also tried slapping my iphone4! Its working normal now, lemme see how long it will get:)

Bart BB Danna says:

I squeezed mine on the sides, near the bottom corners, and the button started working again. I'll vote for mechanical connection issues. If it happens again I'm headed to the Apple store.

xrgsx says:

Hey everyone i just started to nitice this after i did the latest update , this really sucks!!

Diete026 says:

SUPPER ANNOYING ISSUE! blowing in it just gave me the 'this accessory not optimized' message (F*CK!!). Squeezed the sides. did the trick.

Kaosar08 says:

What is squeezing? Pls help me

Rick Lyon says:

I had this issue on my iphone4 where just like that, my home button did not work unless I pressed really hard. The hard rest did not work. I read the dust consideration in the article, did like a 10 button quick press and then blew into the button. It works now.

Tom says:

Mine started after installing 4.3.1. Same with my coworker. Frustrating.

Sohrob Tahmasebi says:

Just started having this problem and it's very annoying. I wonder if the phone is slowing down in response due to software bloat after the update?

Tech_User says:

i have had this issue for quite some time now, and it is NOT software related since i have had this happening since iOS 4.1 either that or because it was like 5 months old when i started getting this issue. that commentor that suggested slapping your iphone worked for me. this issue has been frustrating me a lot recently i might just go to the apple store to get it looked at, the thing is i dont want to get it replaced since it IS my first iphone and you know how that kind of pride is hard to lose.

Guest says:

Surdy ... thanks man. This workaround is a sanity saver.

VoiceofJayBritton says:

Had this problem intermittently for a while, blew into the charging port as someone suggest below and hey presto!

Alw376 says:

oh my gosh, I have been having this problem since I bought the iPhone a few months ago, just blew in the charge port and BAM, works perfectly. Even feels snappier!! I can't believe it.

Jing says:

I think iPhone may have some issue on the home button design. Another way to solve this issue is to squeeze the area around home button 2-3 times. Now it is working, better than slapping.

Hamaster_13@yahoo.com says:

I just tried your suggestion & it worked.
Thanks.

Ed says:

Worked for me. Thanks.

hehehe says:

blowing made it worse, squeezing around the button did the trick

Asdf says:

Blowing did not worked. I freaked out. Then tried squeezing the area around it and KABLAM! works. THanks for he fix!

Luke R says:

Thanks for the tip, worked first time !!

Ryan says:

Squeezed and blew, another satisfied customer, thanks Jing

RR says:

the recab didn't work for me, but blowing through the port and squeezing around the button worked perfectly.
Thanks

Acb says:

Holy cow! It worked. Thanks

Kiran says:

Wow..blowing air into the charging port resolved home button issue

steve says:

tried your way worked great thankxx! steve

Emersyn says:

Oh my god, thank you. I tried everything until holding down the button. It works!!!

Xmarco says:

Thanks a lot man!!!
:-)

Sparkleaddict says:

Thanh you so much! It worked!!! I am so happy :D

Kofranks says:

Blowing worked for me! Got me worried there. Thanks for the tip.

Ladyfrances says:

SLAP! Just read this full thread, tried blowing a good few times - nothing worked - I was refusing to believe the slapping advice but after 4/5 sharp slaps off my thigh, bloomin' heck, it works! Kid you not, it didn't work after two goes on the back but another 2/3 on the front & it's worked. Unbelievable. Just do it.

Saket says:

Slapping worked for me too...how about that Apple design! I think they should include the thigh slap as part of their standard gesture vocabulary!! O_o

Apolenec says:

Slapping worked for me thanks to all, nothing else worked

Ld260541 says:

After nothing else worked and I was about to cry in a deep dark corner, 2 slaps of the screen on my thigh worked. Thank you!!!!!

HomeButton says:

Thanks! nothing worked except a few slaps on my thigh! Gosh, I was worried!

Bob says:

Dear Ladyfrances,
I love you.

Amy says:

Over the course of a couple of days my home button got the the point where it would not work at all no matter how many times and how hard I pressed it. I slapped it and it started working! Before, if I wanted to go from an app to the home screen, I had to shut my phone down and restart it. THAT DID NOT FIX IT, it just started up on the home screen so I was back to square one. We'll see how long the "slap" fix lasts.....

Mikkou0410 says:

i completely had the same problem. I had my iPhone 4 for just 10 days and I have never dropped it or anything, but then suddenly, the home button went nuts! I tried slapping it on my thigh twice and miraculously, it worked! I just don't know if this works for a long time though, and I'm scared if it doesn't; I don't want to slap my poor iPhone every time it goes berserk; I feel like I'm just making the problem worse... ;(

RM says:

Wow. Slapping just worked! Unsettling as to what the root cause might be but happy for now.

Gehan Dias says:

Bizarrely, the slapping thing worked (for now at least)

Jstsneekin says:

I'm trying the blowing into the charging port.. seems to be working right now...

Soul_survivor says:

the slapping on thigh technique definetly works!!!

Mouneer says:

4 slaps and it works iOS 4.3

Badralj9 says:

I had my iphone 4 replaced twice in the past 2 months and it is still unresponsive sometimes! Really annoying!! I am wondering if apple even gave me a new phone!? They are making me think that they gave me a refurbished iphone because the home button is still unresponsive after replacing twice...

Rte617 says:

Slapchop! The very same thing o tell my kids NOT to do when things don't work properly. It worked!!!

Luke says:

just bang it against your hand or something, simply looae connection of the hardware inside the phone. ny hone button wasn't working at all, and a good slap against my hand fixed the issue. if you are really iffy about hitting your phone.. take it into the store.

Svr037 says:

Slapping didn't work- but I'd already done it repeatedly on the steering wheel. Blowing didnt work. The power/home button worked not even a whole day. Squeezing did nothing at all. I haven't updated in awhile (exboyfriend has computer) and I don't know how to restore. I dropped it at work so it has damage on the back, ( I thought that was why it wasn't cooperating). To take or not to take to the apple store?

Missnikkinoo says:

The old slap trick ey! Haha! Great! Worked for me! How long for? Who knows!

Pbl says:

slapping is still working! 06-28-11

Raxxal says:

Guys, I just blow air into the charging port with my mouth, and it works! Holy cow! Very annoying issue indeed/ Thanks a lot!

Mydebtassistant says:

Happy Slapper wow! my iphone 4 was sticking all day and I was panicking. If it's 4 months old, and craps out now, how long will it last after the warranty is over. Slapping against my thigh worked. brilliant!

JR says:

I blew...nothing. Slapping on my leg, works great!

Erikmattheszimmer says:

I can't believe it...slapping on the leg worked...For all of Apples' wisdom, a slap on the leg is the most proven trouble shooting technique..

Blacklily says:

Yes you are right. The slapping idea worked for about a second. Just plugged into wall and it's ok.

Smartalex says:

I can't stop laughing! First I tried blowing into the charger port. That didnt' work. Then I slapped it against my thigh twice (ouch!), and what do you know? that worked! Thank you for a fix and a laugh.

World Cure = Slapping says:

DANG....the slapping worked...if only this was the solution for all my issues...

dosisfkjhdfadof says:

Slapping against my knee, on the edge of the phone, worked. Home button is working again.

Kobir Uddin says:

At first I thought all the thigh slapping people were drunk, but it does work. Slap on your thigh hard twice and hey presto

Surfergirl says:

tried blowing into it and it didnt work then i tried the slapping method and all of a sudden the freaking button was working!! wow didnt actually think that would work

Vdjrolo says:

no shit i restored my iphone completely and didnt work ..slapped it twice and its workingggggg!!!!

Sarge says:

Slapping and blowing worked!
Unbelievable.
I'm probably gonna go blind...

Danielle Gabriel says:

Just a note of caution to all of you "slappers" out there. I have been having this problem for a few months now, and have been gently slapping the back of my phone to get it to work, which it did. HOWEVER, all the repeated slapping weakened the glass to the point where the last time i did it, the glass on the back of my phone shattered in that specific spot :(

Shelley says:

Yes, I have this problem and it makes me nuts.

saintpako says:

Hahahahahah~ I was thinking this is crazy, so many people confirming the slapping method, I tried it, and Bammmm~~ Worked like a charm. Old wisdom wins, when something doesn't work, try slapping it!

Saynotomeat says:

Holy crap!! One more believer! this was a nightmare for me but it just worked!!! I cannot believe it!!!!

Guest says:

another happy slapper :-)

Cirko69 says:

the slapping thing worked!

Judy75 says:

TOO FUNNY! I just couldn't believe it but I went ahead and slapped it and it actually started working!!

Spark says:

I have had this problem over and over - have restored it no less than 5 times. The restore solution only worked briefly - like a couple of days. So I did a search this morning and found these posts. I then tapped the phone against my leg a couple of times and now the home button works. I was kind of surprised but the solution works thanks! fingers crossed!

Sonia says:

My home button has not been working all morning. I was about to take it in till I googled it. Tried blowing into the port, still didn't work.
Then I came across the slapping method. Slapped it a couple times and it works :)
Also before it was lagging a little but now it's even quicker.

KeithAsh says:

I have been fighting with the home button for two weeks. When I came across this post I couldn't believe it. How it be! I gave a couple slaps on the thigh, now been working perfectly! Unbelievable! Thanks!

Bill says:

Phone Slap worked like a charm

minnesota_mom says:

Blowing into the charge port worked for me.

Euchrewacko says:

This is ridiculous. Slapped it. It works again!

Giovanni_1080 says:

Wtf, I gave my phone blow job and now the home button works perfectly!!

Xoch82 says:

Blowing worked for me! But if it stops working, I will be bitch slapping this thing! lol

jaktak says:

Blowing worked for me too, so it is harware issue - wonder, my phone is still under warranty - should I do something about it (iOS 4.2.1

jaktak says:

worked for 2 minutes :(

Hwjiii says:

It has to be software as it starts working again as soon as I put it on the charger and it beeps.

Born2misbehave says:

Mine has been doing this intermittently since I first got it in September. Today it started doing it really badly. Read this thread, whacked it against the palm of my hand and it's suddenly working more perfectly than when it came out of the box! Nice one!

LeeRichie says:

I just bitch slapped and blew in the charger port... it still doesn't work. Maybe I should hit it with a hammer.

LeeRichie says:

Wait, haha it works. I squeezed the sides and blew into the charger port. Woooooooooo!

Judith says:

holy cow. had this problem for weeks. turning off and on. Just read this. Slapped my thigh (didn't work on my arm) and voila! You've got to be kidding me!!!

Ronaldito says:

My home button was stuck and my thumbs were killing. Tried many quick fix theorems and nothing worked. Also tried complete factory restores three times. Finally took it in and the man at Palo Alto Apple store was kind enough to replace it. Luckily it was under warranty so no charge. I'm happy again and my thumbs are healing.

Hyde Setsuka says:

OMG..!!!
At first I don't believe these comments here,i mean slapping my iPhone..?C'mon what's this ridiculous solution anyway,that's what i thought but ever since this home button issue already got my nerve i just give it a shot..AND IT WORKED..!!!

Varun Santhanam says:

iOS 4.3.3
Blowing fixed it. It's a miracle!

Mark says:

Unbelievable. I having been experiencing the same issue. I just upgrade to 4.3.3 hoping that it would resolve my home button not working. No such luck, but then I found this post. Gave the boy a slap on the thigh and all is good.

Guest says:

The squeeze trick did it!! Thanks!

Me says:

Whoaaa! Slapping does work!!! I was pretty skeptic at first. So I tried then BAM! Amazing 0_0

Eugen S says:

Squeezing twice around the button worked for me! Thanks.

Swordfish6969 says:

it worked from the first slap

Albano5150 says:

WOW! The slapping actually worked!!!!
too funny!!!

Bob says:

Omg!! Blowing worked for me!! Hahahha hilarious :)

Matt Brooks says:

Used a combo of duster and a toothpick to clean out the port and its shocking how much dust came out, works like new

Marc says:

SLAPPING WORKED ! HOWLY FUCKIN MCGIVER !! :)

Jhollo72 says:

this worked for me.go to settings.scroll down to general.go to reset.then reset all settings.still working and that was 3 days ago.hope this helps.
jim

shaneo says:

Guys all this slapping stuff really? I went to my local apple store. The guy pushed the button once it didnt respond so he gave me a brand new phone on the spot. We cleared mine and when i got home i restored from backup and hey presto shiny new phone nothing lost.. easy!

Olliefoxell says:

I had the same problem. Removed loads of lint from the charging port which seems to have sorted it.

Ur BF will hate me says:

I know the bitch slap works but why not go and get a new phone? I took it to apple after restoring my phone, installing the new version of Itunes and every other possible excuse they would make....well guess what, I got a brand new phone....!

Raj99pradeep says:

ha ha ha ha ha ha lolz..... rofl.... really slapping is working my belly is gng to blow.....nonstop laughing slap works for electronic goods also

Toofacegirl says:

Lol blowing didn't work but I slapped it 3 times n its working again. Thx!

Heatherwilkie says:

I used duster on the charging port and it worked like a pro!

Jconsumer says:

Yes i have this problem. A pain but not enough of a pain to restore.

Danielle Gabriel says:

Vicki says:

I figured the slapping can't be too crazy with all these people doing it.... My home button has quit working twice in the past 2 months. Slapping it against my leg started it right back up. Odd, but whatever works...........

don't get embarrassed..!!

SoulzZ says:

I try not to slap, rather i rub around the home button few times, work for me. now best alternative to home button problem is install iOS 4.3.3 and enable multitasking gesture, resulting in less use of home button and less home button problem.

Shane Bolda says:

Slapped! I've kinda been doing it on my own but just read this, tried blowing it 0_0 which didn't work as I had tried before, but then slapped it a couple times and it worked... Seems like a solid solution but don't know what the real issue is...

JMT says:

You have to be kidding me... my thumbs are sore from trying to push down on the home button so many times and I simply blew into the charging port, slapped it on my leg and its now working!
Thank you, Thank you!

Candycanelovespirates says:

how freakin funny, my husband did the slapping method and it worked! freakin hilarious. We all must look silly blowing and slapping our phones...kinda kinky hahaha.

Bd says:

i have 4.3.1 but still bugs not fixed

Camilla Foss Hanssen says:

Can't believe it! Blow-slap worked like a charm! Love you for posting this. Me and my iPhone will have a happy life after all...

Stephawalker says:

Blowing into the charger slot worked for me as well! Relief.

GP pauly says:

Amazing!!! I had this exact problem with my Iphone 4g several times now. At first, I will simply do a system restore but not until I came across this website talking about slapping the back of the phone or blowing into the charging port to get the home button to work. I tried slapping the back of the phone twice and BAM the damn home button suddenly work now. I am so happy now...thanks guys!!!!

Katie says:

just started yesterday... no real obvious reason. Blowing didn't work, but squeezing the area just next to and above did the trick. how bizarre.

Lyndseystrickland says:

Hi guys, just to let you all know I had this issue and my home button would only work like 20% of the time, so I took it to the apple store and the 'genius' said there is a problem with the software, Apple dont know when they will be able to fix it but they are in the process of doing so, but if your impatiant like me and if your under warrenty they will give you a new phone.

Zahra2011 says:

I did the same as pressing around the home screen button after mine suddenly stopped working as well and now it's working again. Yaaaaay!! I was goin crazy cuz I kept having to power it on and off to close apps etc.

Amts1922 says:

I agree. Nothing has worked for me either

Pouhnjhg says:

Bought my neighbors iphone, very cheap coz she thought that the flex of her home button was damaged.... Home button's not working... But after i blew it, it worked perfectly... Hahaha

Kat says:

Pressed around the home button - nothing.
Blew into the charger slot - nothing.
Slapped it on my thigh twice. YES!! :) It actually bloody worked.
Saved me from throwing it out of the window in frustration...

JACOB says:

WOW. THANKS. THAT ACTUALLY WORKED! HAHA

Mitchell says:

HAHA THAT JUST WORKED FOR ME TOO! THANKS!

Running4Mama's says:

Holy Crap, worked for me too!!

IT WORKS says:

WORKED FOR ME TOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NICE THIGHS

ThighSlapper says:

That actually worked for me Kat! The thigh slap did the trick!!!
FYI - My thigh was flexed.

Davidlalthantluanga says:

Blew, didnt work. Squeezed, didnt work. Slapped & bingo! It worked!!!!

MiniMe says:

Omg.. The leg slapping really worked.. That's funny and sad at the same time.. Smh.. Well my home button works now- thanks!

Danmcgo says:

Happy slapper!!!!! Thank you Thank you thank you. A couple slaps and bam button works again. Crapple

Francis Finan says:

Can I suggest that anyone else that has this problem, press the home button twice and see if all running apps pop up. If it does then hold down on one until it shows the X to quit it and then do the same with all the others. May not work for everyone but may save a couple of you slapping your phones like it's a spoilt child ;)

Msooffutt says:

Actually this is the only method that's worked for me. This is what apple suggests on their website and for me it worked. I was going to send my phone back and give up my untethered jailbreak, when I decided to get rid of everything running in the task manager and restart the phone and now, so far for two days, it's running like new again. If you're jailbroken, you can use a cydia app called, "killbackground" and this will shut down everything in the task manager with one button push; if not you'll have to manually shut down each app, but remember to restart the phone after you do this. I'm sure some of you might be having hardware issues, but If not, definitely try this. I'll report back if I find that my phone has gone back to not working.

Sarah says:

Man I was soo close to restoring my iPod and sending it in because I was SO sick of having to press so hard to get it to turn on. Or it thinking I double clicked when I pressed once. The only remedy I knew of before was holding in the home button super hard for 20 seconds, which only fixed it for like a minute. But I just tried the blowing and slapping, didn't work. Then I put the iPod between both palms and squeezed as hard as I could. It all of a sudden works perfectly.. I'm so glad I found this haha.

guest says:

jsut bought mine 4 days ago. and it always happens when its plugged in, or for about 45 mintues after ive unplugged it. :( im going to apple to complain today!

Pr_Boricua_818 says:

1.) Open any application
2.) Press and hold the power button until the slide to shutdown swipe bar appears.
3.) Release Power button
3.) Press and hold Home button Lightly until screen returns to icon screen
4.) Enjoy your functioning home button!!!

Pr_boricua_818 says:

Please be sure to press the home button very lightly just passing the Click zone. If you press hard the home button recalibration will be inaffective and you will continue to have home button issues.
The slap technique is only a temporary solution as it jarrs the buttons original calibration out of spec.
Prboricua818

Sealsie2 says:

Used this technique and it appears to work great. Will keep this in mind if problem returns.
Thank you for the advice sounds much safer than the BFH/slap technique.

Kilowatt76 says:

Thank you for clearing up the pressing the home button lightly after the click zone! It works perfectly, thanks!!!!!

Seguin says:

Worked like a charm!
Thanks.

Aziz says:

I tried it alot but it seems to have the same problem,some times it works perfectly and some times I need to push really hard until it works!

Pr_boricua_818 says:

1.) Open any application
3.) Release Power button
4.) Press and hold Home button Lightly
until screen returns to icon screen
5.) Enjoy your functioning home button!!!
This procedure recalibrates the home button after normal wear or heavy use.

Kori says:

Slightly confused as holding the home button turns on Voice Control instead of "Slide to Power off"

Pr_boricua_818 says:

Please be sure to push and hold the home button only after you have successfuly pressed the Power Button and enabled the slide to shutdown swipe screen.
Hope this helps

Tato_k2 says:

Power button! First! (one on the top) then home button the circle o e

Pages