Noticed that some TiPb comments have avatars -- pictures of the commenters -- next to the comments? Curious how you can get your own picture up there? TiPb is using the cross-site Gravatar system in our comments and though it does take a few steps to set up, they're simple and painless and we'll show them to you after the break!
Gravatar stands for Globally Recognized AVATar and it basically associates a profile picture with your email address and then any time you post a comment on a supporting site, it automagically adds your Gravatar. No fuss, no mess.
If you've already got a Gravatar, just make sure to use the email address associated with your Gravatar account when you post a comment. If you don't yet have a Gravatar, here's how to get one:
Create a new account
- Go to http://www.gravatar.com
- Click on Get your Gavatar today, middle right
- Click on sign up for free (link above the Email or Username field)
- Enter your Email Address and click the Signup button
- Check your email for a confirmation message
- Click the link in the confirmation message
Choose your username and profile pic
Once your email account has been confirmed, the fun begins!
- Choose a username. If the one you like is already taken, try a variation.
- Pick a password. (Don't make it something simple, or the same as your username)
- Confirm your password and click Signup
- When it complains you don't have an image yet, click on the Add one by clicking here link
- Choose where you want to get your image from, your computer, an internet link, your webcam, or a previous upload
- Crop the picture to suit your tastes and click Done
- Choose a rating for your Gravatar (note, TiPb only accepts G rated Gravatars -- we're a family friendly site!)
And you're done!
Bonus tip: Add additional email addresses
If you use more than one email address, for example we used to use @theiphoneblog before switching to the shorter @tipb, you can click the Add an email address link, enter another email address, and confirm it. That way all your comments get associated with your Gravatar.
There you have it, a terrific way to add some personality to your comment posts. If you have any questions or need any help getting setup, leave a comment below. And once you're Gravatar is locking, leave a comment so we can see it!
Tips of the day will range from beginner-level 101 to advanced-level ninjary. If you already know this tip, keep the link handy as a quick way to help a friend. If you have a tip of your own you'd like to suggest, add them to the comments or send them in to firstname.lastname@example.org. (If it's especially awesome and previously unknown to us, we'll even give ya a reward...)