Warner Bros. launches Dark Knight and Inception as apps

Warner Brothers today released two of their movies, Dark Knight and Inception, as applications in the App Store and is available in 35 different countries. The interesting thing to note is that 23 of those countries are unable to get these two movies through iTunes.

The apps are free and they come ready to go with a five minute preview of each film along with games, trivia, extras and other materials for users to enjoy. If you decide you want to watch the movie you have two options at that point. You can choose to stream the movie or download it to your device to watch at a later time. Dark Knight is currently available for $9.99 and Inception is available for $11.99. Thomas Gewecke, president of digital distribution made a short comment about their new "apps."

We think this is an innovative way to build a global footprint on devices that are optimized for video viewing.

Yes it is definitely an innovative way to allow countries without iTunes movie access to have a chance at getting these movies but is it against Apple's new App Store developer guidelines? Specifically they say that apps that are for media should be sent to iTunes and not the App Store. So who knows if these two movies will make it as apps for long but if they do this opens up a whole new way to get movies on your iOS devices. Will you be downloading these movies as apps? Do you like the idea of downloading movies as apps instead of the standard way from iTunes? Tell us what you think in our comments section.

[ Los Angeles Times, Dark Knight - iTunes Link, Inception - iTunes Link]

Jetstar Airlines to offer in-flight iPads for AU$10

Apple's new subscription service: the good, the bad, and the ugly

(Copy of) Dev says:

Scenario Tree time:
1a) Yes, it is against Apple's new guidelines, but these apps were submitted, reviewed, and approved before these guidelines went into effect. This seems most likely, but that leaves a situation where WB has gone through the time, effort, and money to develop these apps (and the infrastructure behind them) only to have Apple change the rules after the fact.
1b) Yes, it is against Apple's new guidelines, but Apple allows WB a pass because they want these apps on the store. I think this is doubtful -- Apple really does not need a TDK app separate form iTunes purchase/rental, but included for thoroughness. Not much else to say here, except the iOS dev's lament that ill-defined and inconsistently applied "guidelines" are the single biggest externality (pain in the ass cost) in our entire business.
2) No, it is not against Apple's new guidelines. The app is clearly centered around a single movie, so, if this is not against the guidelines? Are DVD-style extras what makes this not a media chunk for iTunes? Or is a set of trivia questions about a film enough to make a film-centric app "not media" and therefore not subject to these guidelines? Where can I, as a developer, know where Apple draws the line so I can follow Apple's rules? Like most other frustrations with the App Store, it seems like the content guidelines are going to be unclear and somewhat arbitrary.

drbill says:

just download both apps, live in slovakia, i think it is a great idea, like the apps very much, keep them coming, good job.............

tuscanidream says:

Downloading an app that's really aovie in disguise is not only retarded, but... Yup. It's retarded. I'm surprised Apple allowed this. I can download the movie from the iTunes store, or online and sync it. There is no need to have another app on my screen. It's not an app. It's a movie.

OrionAntares#CB says:

"Warner Brothers today released two of their movies, Dark Knight and Inception, as applications in the App Store and is available in 35 different countries. (The interesting thing to note is that 23 of those countries are unable to get these two movies through iTunes.)"
Try reading before saying something stupid. You think it's retarded because YOU are in one of those other 12 countries that can actually get these movies in iTunes.

tuscanidream says:

So you can download it elsewhere and sync it as it was intended. Where's your point?
It's just cluttering the crapp store with garbage. I hate apples strike control sometimes, and other times I wish it were more strict.

mike says:

the last time I checked retarded didn't mean stupid.

Andrsq says:

The dark knight has free edition, I don't know if it's the complete version

Faraz says:

is really these apps are launched in market ,i am great fan of these apps and quite excited about these apps,I hope these are available in dubai.

scott says:

This is going to get good. Apple, as always, wants their pound of flesh for something they had NOTHING

scott says:

DAMN. NOTHING to do with. Are they going to stop me from going to a website and buying something? Cydia exists today because of Apple's stupidity. What I see happening is that dev's will have their own website and you will be able to go there and get this stuff. Wait, THAT IS Cydia!! In the long run, this will cost the App store MONEY. If this app gets kicked, all I have to do is go to WB's site, use my Paypal, and buy this movie.

FLskydiver says:

Cydia exist today because Apple was BRILLIANT in locking down iOS (you may say dumbing it down) so as to ensure every user gets such an extraordinarily powerful yet even more extraordinarily easy to use suite of devices to play with that the iOS market grew so large it could even support a sub-market of fringe 1%'ers who want to go that extra yard by adding un-vetted experimental software tweaks into the mix.

richchestmat#IM says:

I already have the movie via iTunes (that via the Triple Play on my Blu-ray copy). Would be nice if the extras would be available to me. Not worth playing £11.99 for. Yes that's right £11.99 not $11.99. They are playing silly games with the currency conversion here.

iphone apps review says:

this is great. a game after a popular movie!!

Think_otb says:

I don't mind the idea, but it's not letting me download inception!

Think_otb says:

I don't mind the idea, but it's not letting me download inception!