White iPhone 4 showing off prototype iOS 4 fast app switching, folder UI?

Leaked White iPhone 4 showing off new iOS 5 fast app switching UI?

Vietnamese site Tinhte might just have gotten their hands on an official white iPhone 4 from Apple... running a previously unseen version of iOS! While it could also just be a clever set of Jailbreak tweaks, the video shows a new version of the multitasking fast app switching that replaces the dock icons in iOS 4 with miniature tiles of the actual apps, sort of like Exposé for iPhone.

Whether this is something destined for an interim iOS 4.4, our first hint at iOS 5, or some Jailbreak wizardry only Apple knows for sure. But it is interesting that it shows up on the anniversary of the Gizmodo iPhone 4 leak, isn't it?

UPDATE: Per comments, yes there are some old icons but also some Apple internal test icons. Weird. Second video from the same source that shows off, among other things, 64GB, a new rendering for Folders, and Facebook built into settings.

UPDATE 2: This might just be a prototype iPhone 4 running an early test version of iOS 4 which included Folder and Fast App Switching UI Apple later decided against implementing (going with what we see now in the release version of iOS 4.)

Check out the video after the break and let us know, real, fake, or really fake? And if real, what do you think?

[Tinhte via Engadget]

HBO Go to bring Game of Thrones, Sopranos, movies, more to iPhone and iPad

New and updated iPhone and iPad apps for Tuesday, April 19

Alexander says:

if thats the fast app switching, its going to look like the htc sense that was on my evo last year!

zeagus says:

It may also remind you of Expose on OS X, patented in 2003.

OrionAntares#CB says:

But as Apple points out with their various lawsuits, just because it's patented or generic for a desktop doesn't make it so for a mobile device!

Anon says:

lol you're such a dong.

Dood says:

Rene, I have some real estate to sell you.

rgar3388 says:

that would suck if you could only close one open app at a time and have to hold down an app everytime you want to bring up the x.

patricksmangan says:

+1. Also, get rid of double tap. Button press-and-hold should either be icon grid or fast app switching. FAS looks like wp mango, webos, and qnx, but I like it. Do you get pages of cards when you have more than 9, or do you scroll down?

hjhjhjhj says:

You are right, that would suck. Which is why Apple's current implementation doesn't work like that. Which is also proof that this is just faked and is a jailbroken phone. Not 5.0.

Ethan S. says:

It's so annoying when people post without researching. Comex and I0nic have both verified that there is nothing like this (including multiflow) that acts like this. Learn how to research, not just spout.

Ryan Isra says:

Oh really, where did they claimed that it isn't a tweak on jailbroken iPhone?

Gregz0r says:

So where's the volume and mute/lock controls?
To get leaked hardware is understandable, as it's assembled out of Cupertino, but the software is surely an in-house thing only.
I'm calling BS on this.

flyingember says:

at BGR a guy said that's multiflow from cydia

frozencloud says:

yeah look awfully like multiflow or it is multiflow

Tinavane says:

That is multiflow since I have that.

Joseph Keller says:

There is another video from the same people on 9to5mac and the signal bars are pre-4.1 update. Take that as you will.

Cuden says:

Also mentioned on the site not the vid that it's 64gb iPhone

Rgarza70 says:

Im sure its a Chinese knock off. Similar to the Nintendo DS 3d with auto hand job attachment. Boy i ordered that 5 years ago and never received it =(

RobCal says:

Multi flow for sure.. At about 25 seconds, you can see the background enable button pop up that you get from backgrounder in cydia

Brand says:

If you look in the second video, when he shows the capacity, you can briefly see the top of the verson line, which looks to say 4.0.

Chris says:

Not sure how you can fake a video. lol.drunk on the apple koolaid?

Ffggh says:

Its called adobe premire and after effects. Not saying this is fake, but thats how to fake a vid

pendragyn says:

What? You mean my yellow convertible Camaro is not really going to turn into a giant mechanical alien?!?!?

macharborguy says:

you've seen Beowulf before, haven't you? Thats how you fake a video :)

TC says:

Gonna have to agree with the people that say it is multiflow. I tried this on both my iPad and iPhone 4 for a couple weeks, but honestly I reverted back to the original iOS system and have been happier since. It's harder to quickly sort though a bunch of screen grabs to pick what you want than a bunch of app icons that you instantly recognize. If it was 5.0 multitasking I would be hesitant to update.

Avenged110 says:

Gonna have to agree with you. If this system were introduced over the iconic system they have now, I would probably have some second thought before updating the iP4. Productivity killer.

chris.lenderman says:

If this were real...it would debunk all of the increased screen size rumors. FAKE.

fastlane says:

No, it's not debunked. It's totally bunk.

ghostface147 says:

I like that faint spotlight bar at the top

Pierre Cuzmybladdersempty says:

Calculator and Voice Memos have the old icons. Also, if you watch the second video you see Facebook integration in settings.

Avenged110 says:

Something to think about, that calculator icon was introduced in 3.0, then updated to the current one under 4.0. The iPhone 4 shipped with 4.0 minimum, so why's there an outdated icon there that shouldn't have ever existed on that phone, there?

Aurimar says:

could it actually rcealpe me having a laptop? Then the answer would be NO!!!!I pad is not the answer to a laptop a laptop is a laptop where you could anything that a computer is suppose to do. An Ipad is pretty cool but only if you like to watch movies, check your emails or share your photos etc.. while on the move or when in bed/sofa/balcony/train that sort of thing

knitoe says:

via Engadget - CHANGE THE TITLE THIS IS NOT IOS 5!
Vasilis Ananiadis
2nd video at 1:35 (iOS 4.0 8A216) confirmed http://t.co/feU6tU6

Dood says:

Rene, are you a gullibull? Or even, a gullicalf?

dloveprod says:

I got all excited for nothing :-/

Giulia says:

as the Xoom decides when to quit an ppilacation; customization is possible but more difficult than the iPad2. In short, the Xoom user interface is a work in progress great potential but currently quite flawed. Operating System: The iPad2 uses Apple's IOS. It works, but it uses cooperative multitasking which (in theory) is less effective than the full multitasking on the Xoom which uses a version of Google's Android designed for tablets. In practice, they both work fine and I doubt anyone would notice the difference. Applications: iPad2 has 70,000 apps available from the Apple App store and it also runs the 300,000 apps available for the iPhone. Xoom currently has around 60 apps and it can run Android phone apps (but they are stretched in one direction which makes them look strange). Some of the iPad2 ppilacations are pretty impressive GarageBand for example. There are many games on the iPad2, and just a few games made for the Xoom. If this doesn't improve quickly, the Xoom is sunk. After all, ppilacations are generally the reason people buy these devices. Browsing: Because of the screen aspect ratio that I mentioned, I prefer browsing on the iPad2. The Xoom has Adobe Flash and the iPad2 doesn't, but so far I haven't come across a single instance where this has been an issue. I'm sure there are very many sites not compatible with iPad2, but I haven't browsed to one of them yet. Camera: I don't use the camera much, and I'm not really sure if either is better. In the family, the Xoom owner says the Xoom is better, the iPad2 owner says the iPad2. The Xoom has flash and iPad2 doesn't which is a win for Xoom, but the Xoom seems slower to take a picture. Speakers: The Xoom has two small speakers, iPad2 has one slightly larger speaker. The sound is somewhat better quality on the iPad2 and the Xoom cannot achieve the same volume as the iPad2. But they are both pretty poor use earphones or an external speaker if you want decent audio. Battery life: Difficult for me to give an exact comparison, but based on family usage it seems the iPad2 has the edge here, but not by much. Internal storage: The Xoom has 1GB of RAM and 32 GB of flash storage. The iPad2 has 512MB of RAM and 16GB, 32GB or 64GB of flash storage I bought the 64GB model. External storage: The Xoom has an external card slot that supports SD cards, but the software was not ready in time for the product release. The slot is inoperative until Motorola releases an operating system update. The iPad2 has no external storage support. User Experience: The iPad2 was up and running quite quickly. I connected the device to iTunes and it automatically updated to the latest version of the operating

nyc_rock says:

Could care a less about this. I want a 4 inch screen and new notification system.

Mohammedishtaip says:

Hey nice video, the true is you can buy USA iTunes gift cards at this store iTunesgiftScards at COM, they are legit iTunes Gift card store, they deliver to me by email, and Fast, my idsave to you - iTunesGiftSCards AT COM with an S after the Gift

Park says:

This has got to be just a jailbroken iPhone. I think you guys are probably right that it's multiflow. Here are a few other things I noticed:

• The long press to enable closing apps is nowhere near long enough for what Apple would implement. The guy actually does it accidentally a couple times when his finger barely touches the icons.
  • The icon for Voice Memos is the old red one from older versions of iOS, not newer.
  • There's a "Link Keys" bluetooth app that he opens at one point that I think is probably a jailbreak app.

You'd think the guys at TiPb would be a little more astute than this. They should have posted this as a story about a fake video instead of a possible leaked version of official iOS. It makes me think they did it this way simply for link bait when they knew better all along.

Dood says:

Lest we forget that somehow a Vietnamese man somehow obtained an ultra-secret build of "iOS 5". I know Apple isn't the best with securing things (Hi Grey), but they certainly wouldn't let a software version walk out the door without first asset tracking each and every individual that accesses it.
I mean like, this is common sense 101.

Anon says:

It's likely a pre-release or preview to an update multifl0w will receive. Looks nice, nonetheless.

Dustin says:

I think that's just a jailbreak deal... That fast app switching looks slower than what I have now on my iPhone 4 that isn't jailbroken. But if it's real and that's what iOS 5 will be like then I'm okay with it. I really do hope that they release a 64GB version soon though... I'm running low on space ha ha.

Martin says:

Yeah this is total BS. iOS 4.4/5 with the old Calculator app icon and old Voice Memos icon, very unlikely. What a joke. Nice try though.

omfgitsjustin says:

I hope we seem more of a change in ios 5 then this. I mean, if they are only focusing on iOS instead ofhardware. I want to see a whole new experience. A jump that way like the jump fron Android 1.6 to 2.1 That change alone was why I bought a DROID. Now that I have an Iphone, I want that experience changing thrill again :D

Think About It says:

FAKE!!! Notice how the guy in the first video doesn't even allow the apps to load up. Nothing is seen as really "working".

RRP Video says:

Not much here to look at. Fake or real, I'm not impressed.

francolasalsa#IM says:

Why are people dissing TIPB ? they didn't make this video or claim it's legit and multiple websites (BGR,engandget,9to5mac) are running this story . If you don't beieleve the video is real than fine but no reason to trash Renee or TIPB

francolasalsa#IM says:

Ps this better not be the iPhone 5 because no 4" screen would mean I seriously have to consider and android device, was playing around with the MOTO Atrix and was REALLY impressed !

Dood says:

If you're impressed then buy it.

Micah says:

Looks real but the voice memos and calculator apps are the old style so idk but I do know I want 64 gb

fastlane says:

:shock: Wow! You're right! I wonder if the previous three people who mentioned that noticed it!

Andrew says:

Sorry, was still blown away by the fact it was a v.cool white colour... did I miss anything else while I was dribbling???
;)

Jon says:

If you go to their website, they have a picture up showing that it's Version 4.0. Seems like an old developer phone that has been jailbroken. Just like everyone else is saying. It's not fake, just not iOS 5.

JNGold says:

People, it doesn't have to be fake and it doesn't have to be iOS5. If it is real (not a jb device running a version of MultFl0w), then it seems like a prototype of iOS 4.x with additional features. Apple could have completed this version of the codebase and will port it over to the 5.0 version when it's ready. Many times, that's how large software projects are handled.
And btw, we all know that the JB community is one big beta area for Apple anyways (see cut/paste). :)

parabel says:

Exactly. I think it is real hard- and software, and maybe we'll see some of the ideas from this version in a future iOS iteration. What I'm most excited about is that they are at least internally making 64GB models, which lets me hope for the next iPhone generation.

kha says:

exactly
The only way to develop new features is to integrate them on a previous OS, and the polishing always comes last. that's why the version says 4.0 in settings
Another reason why ios4.0 could have been used was used because the pulled features were still present in that beta version, they would be able to reconsider pushing these features into ios5 by improving them

Rage Face says:

It's fake. Don't get me wrong, that is a damn fine fake. A fake nonetheless.

Rage Face says:

Allow me to expand. Fake iOS 5. It's real enough in that what's happening is happening, but that's an old iPhone 4. Probably a DEV model.

robnaj says:

I see some old things , something's that look like it came from jailbreak like the bluebare over the app store nut there is also some different desine elements and some new features, this wary well could be proto type soafware that never got released or maybe things that we will see in the next iOS like internal Facebook and new multitasking view.

Avenged110 says:

Maybe is this weren't jailbroken, then this was one of te many implementations of multitasking that Apple was playing around with during testing (therefore unreleased 4.0 beta) and decided to go with the cutter icon system.
Or it's jailbroken. Either way.

Avenged110 says:

Sorry for the typos. Still hard to type on the iPhone sometimes.

part2346 says:

No star screws on the bottom? I'm going with not an Apple product.

JBaby_9783 says:

I hope it's real but the old icons leave me leary.

Garz says:

I really cant say. I want to doubt it but then again we all doubted the iPhone 4 leak/lost phone just 1 year ago. Who really knows. Time will tell

MJ says:

This is from pre iOS 4. If you remember, when apple announced iOS4, it had FB integration shown in the event demo videos. That feature never surfaced unfortunately (among others).

9thWonder says:

sorry but that white iphone is fugly

Pdb says:

Ok really look at the calculator app it is from an old OS so it is oveusly a jailbreak or fake

Jinkst says:

@fastlane, hey man did you notice the old calculator and voice memo icons? :)

Velcrocore says:

I'm glad somebody finally mentioned the old calculator and voice memo icons!

SteveC says:

What about the old calculator and voice memo icons? ;)

fastlane says:

There's a new calculator icon? I'm still on 2.2

Supafly_Boy says:

This is a lot more recent than people think. Look at the movies in his iPod library, its got Tron Legacy and Tangled in it. Both are fairly recent movies. This is probably just an early build of iOS 5 for internal use only, some how this leaked out.

blyths says:

That would only mean the video is more recent - not necessarily the phone or the OS. For that matter the movies could be old pirate copies as well.

phat7deuce says:

Definitely real. I'm not sure if anybody noticed, but did you see the icons? In iOS 5, Apple is bringing back the old Calculator and Voice Memo icons. Forget notifications, Apple knows the old icons are the feature we've all been waiting for.

kha says:

My theory is that: The new features were built over iOS4 beta, because the pulled features were still present in that version, so they would be able to improve those pulled features and reconsider pushing them into the next version of iOS. The polishing process or the process of bringing the features over to the newer version will always come last, WHICH WOULD explains why you see the old Calc and Voice memo icons. ;)

Kizmet1313 says:

how did you get a 64gb phone

Mr.B says:

This is not a real iPhone prototype look at the home button, it matches on the REAL white iPhone is does not match,this is fake and if it was it would be IOS 6 or later because my dad works in the iOS devision if apple

Stephanie says:

Your Great Mom! Posted on I really mssied you! Don't do that to me again. You have posted some great stuff and I will continue to check your site at least a couple of times each week.