Daily Tip: How to fix the white Cydia icon glitch

Daily Tip: How to fix the white Cydia icon glitch

Just Jailbreak your iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad, and instead of the usual, brown Cydia store icon you just have a blank, and wondering how to fix it? It happens sometimes, and it can be eerie and disconcerting, so it's understandable you'd want the proper Cydia icon back in the proper place. Luckily the fix is easy and we'll show it to you after the break.

There are a few ways to fix the white cydia icon glitch, including launching the app a couple times, rebooting your iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad a couple of times, or even re-jailbreaking if you want to make absolutely sure nothing went wrong.

Those might work, might not, or you might just not be patient enough to keep fiddling with it. In that case:

1. Launch Cydia (yeah, the blank one)
  2. Tap the Manage tab at the bottom
  3. Choose Cydia Installer from the Installed list
  4. Tap Modify at the top right
  5. Tap Reinstall
  6. Let it go about its business

When it's done, your Cydia icon should be back to its brown self and your eerie disconcertions should be put to rest. Have any other great Cydia tips? Let us know in comments!

(Hat tip to @daveizzle for pushing this method)

Tips of the day will range from beginner-level 101 to advanced-level ninjary. If you already know this tip, keep the link handy as a quick way to help a friend. If you have a tip of your own you'd like to suggest, add them to the comments or send them in to news@tipb.com. (If it's especially awesome and previously unknown to us, we'll even give ya a reward...)

Top 5 budget and personal finance apps for iPhone

iFlowReader software developer closing down, points finger firmly in Apple’s direction!

Chris says:

But would this also effect the stabiliry of cydia cause the first time i jailbroke my iphone 3gs on 4.2.2 it made my screen start flashing and just totally bugged out. Btw this wasnt the firs time i jAilbroke my iphone im pretty experienced just that one time idk what happened

Taco says:

The white Cydia icon also appears sometimes when you boot a tethered device without the tether. If this happens, you won't be able to open cydia because it will crash instantly. Download Redsn0w, run it, and select the "just boot tethered for now" option.

FLskydiver says:

I had a glitch on my un-jailbroken iPhone 4 where after updating to the latest version, Words With Friends wound up with a white icon. Reboot fixed it. Seemed strange at the time, but I suppose even this magical little phone isn't immune to little quirks.

Chavista says:

"not immune"? Esp whey you jailbreak it

StevenBullen says:

It's happened a few times for me when I first jailbreak my iPhone but a reboot always seems to do the trick.

larman2001 says:

My glitch in 4.3.3 is the same white icon but Cydia crashes each time :( Any suggestions?

larman2001 says:

Update: Cydia crashes for me tethered as well.

RagedUSMC says:

Try a hard reboot of your phone i.e press down home button and lock screen button together and until phone restarts.

Brian says:

If hard reboot does not work, I suggest re-doing jailbreak with latest redsn0w (rc16).

Jeremiah says:

I have the same exact symptoms as Alex. I'm on a 3gs running 4.3.3...at first I jailbroke using redsn0w rc15 (not sure how I got that version). Saw your post and realized I wasn't using the most recent version so I tried that. Nothing worked. I'm going to try the "just boot tethered right now" with rc16 and see if that works. This is so weird because nothing has changed besides the iOS version.

Jeremiah says:

Sorry I mean I have the same symptoms as LARRY. LOL!

larman2001 says:

LOL
Alex, I'll try that when I get home later. Thanks in advance.

Jeremiah says:

FYI...the "just boot tethered right now" option did not work. So confused as to why this is not working...I didn't do anything differently than my 4.3.1 jailbreak.

larman2001 says:

I got the following message each time I tried the JB.
No successful firmware download after 60000 ms, giving up.
There seems to be many others with this issue.
Any advice?

Jeremiah says:

LARRY - Just figured out how to fix it! The first time I jailbroke...I used my own backup file (instructions told me to). I've heard, since then, that's a bad idea. Also, my backup was encrypted (don't know if that had an affect on it). Here were my steps to fix: 1...In iTunes > un-check the encrypt my backups checkbox while your iPhone is connected. It should auto start backing up...that's fine. 2...Once it's done perform a sync like usual. 3...Restore your phone using the restore button (takes about 20 minutes or so and you'll have to restore from a backup afterwards in order to restore all purchased/downloaded apps). 4...download the LATEST version of the jailbreak tool...and direct download the iOS...then perform the upgrade off of that iOS you just downloaded. THIS WORKED FOR ME.

Jane Morris says:

I actually prefer the HTC Android anyway. I just got it and the apps are so much better than the iPhone apps.

Phil says:

Rebooting and pressing the home button will work.

Kyle (iRandom) says:

This also works if you just install any other app from Cydia

Buck says:

The flaw in this article is in step #2. You can't even launch Cydia when it's in this state -- a quick flash, and it dies. There's never a "manage tab at the bottom" as you say, because you can't get that far!!! Ugh!!!

JJames says:

Buck,
Were you ever able to resolve this issue?
I'm still stuck with the white (non-functioning) icon
:{
JJames

Jeremiah says:

Hey guys...I just fixed this issue using this process: 1…In iTunes > un-check the encrypt my backups checkbox while your iPhone is connected. It should auto start backing up…that’s fine. 2…Once it’s done perform a sync like usual. 3…Restore your phone using the restore button (takes about 20 minutes or so and you’ll have to restore from a backup afterwards in order to restore all purchased/downloaded apps). 4…download the LATEST version of the jailbreak tool…and direct download the iOS…then perform the upgrade off of that iOS you just downloaded.

MayHock says:

you're the best! thanks for the help! :)

sharonpeters11 says:

just what i needed quick and easy! thanks for taking the time to share!

Sora Fair says:

but i cant get in to my cydia icon .when i click on it , it automatically closes itself out before i can even do anything with it .

Jarodbillings says:

nvm i figured it out what you do is you have the blank cydia icon. Go back to redsnow or whatever your using and click just boot thetherd and the icon will appear.

Jarodbillings says:

DAN says:

YES I FIX WHITE CYDIA DOING THE BOOT THETHERD ONLY THANKS A LOT

ram zala says:

thz yar you made my cydia proper!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ram zala says:

great it's realy working thx