FireCore has released an update to its aTV Flash (black) software that runs on jailbroken second generation Apple TV’s. The update includes a host of additional features including a brand new lightweight media player that has been specifically written for iOS devices.
The new media player will enable your second generation Apple TV to play a much wider array of media types without losing the simple Apple TV interface. Performance of HD content has also been greatly improved.
If you're already running a version of aTV Flash (black) the new Beta6 version can be installed through the Maintenance --> Manage Extras menu on your Apple TV.
The full list of fixes and new features are detailed after the break. Do you jailbreak your Apple TV and use aTV Flash? Let us know if you update and how it works for you!
What's new in Beta6?
- Added show/hide options for standard AppleTV menus
- Added option to manually install if no AppleTVs are detected
- Improved auto-update disabling
- Improved installation error handling
- Minor UI adjustments
- Added new lightweight player
- Added recently played items to 'Top Shelf' in main menu
- Added Favorites to main menu
- Added option to manually mark files as watched/unwatched
- Added 'Test Connection' option for AFP/SMB shares
- Added support for DVD subtitles
- Added support for multiple DVD audio tracks
- Added basic support for M2TS files
- Improved overall video playback (especially HD video files)
- Improved thumbnail generation when cover art is not available
- Improved FF/RW controls
- Improved DVD menu and video playback
- Improved DVD playback progress reporting
- Improved memory management
- Improved AFP/SMB streaming
- Improved error handling for invalid files
- Resolved most video stuttering issues
- Resolved energy saver mode issue
- Resolved issue that resulted in some DVDs being displayed in (squished) 4x3 mode
- Resolved numerous DVD playback issues
- Resolved flickering when navigating through certain menus
- Resolved additional conflicts with XBMC
- Reduced number of network connections used
- Minor UI and other miscellaneous fixes