Developer trying to figure out how to transfer your old MobileMe account to a hot new iCloud account? Luckily Apple has just opened up the transfer procedure and we'll walk you through it, after the break!
To transfer your MobileMe account to iCloud:
- Go to http://www.me.com/move/.
- Login using your existing MobileMe email address and password.
- Verify your login and click Get Started.
- If you use Shared Calendars, privately shared calendars will need to be re-shared with other users who have also transitioned to iCloud, and publicly shared calendars will be unpublished and will need to be published again. Know it, then tap Next.
- You'll be able to keep using Gallery, iDisk, and iWeb until June 2012, even after transferring to iCloud. Click Next.
- And HUGE RED LIGHT. Mac to Mac sync services for Dock, Keychain, Mail accounts, rules, smart mailboxes, and signatures, and Preferences, these will NO LONGER WORK after moving to iCloud. If you rely on these, stop now and either a) hope Apple adds these features and soon, b) hope a 3rd party comes along to fill the gap, and c) make peace with the loss of really important functionality. (Boo!) Click Next.
- Make sure your iPhone, iPad, and/or iPod touch are all on iOS 5 beta 5 [Dev link], your Mac is on OS X Lion 10.7.2 with iCloud for Lion beta 6 [Dev link], and your Windows PC is on iCloud Control Panel for Windows beta 4 [Dev link]. Confirm via the checkbox and click Next.
- Check that your Contacts and Bookmarks are up to date on at least one device (iOS, OS X, or Windows), and if you want to be extra safe, back up your personal information -- Contacts, Calendars, and Bookmarks -- just in case [Apple KB link]. Once you're ready, click that big blue Move to iCloud button and you're underway.
If you take the plunge and make the transfer, let us know how it works for you. Personally, I'm staying away as long as possible -- I need that Mac to Mac sync functionality and can't believe it's not included (yet?!).
Tips of the day will range from beginner-level 101 to advanced-level ninjary. If you already know this tip, keep the link handy as a quick way to help a friend. If you have a tip of your own you’d like to suggest, add them to the comments or send them in to email@example.com. (If it’s especially awesome and previously unknown to us, we’ll even give ya a reward…)