Non-iPad tablet sales put into perspective

Non-iPad tablet sales put into perspective

Marco Arment decided to compare the sale of non-iPad tablets (excluding the TouchPad, as no numbers are available) with those of obscure gaming devices past. The result is the graph above. Note:

I didn’t include the iPad’s approximately 30 million units on here because it distorted the graph’s scale too much.

[Marco.org]

New iPhone on October 7, no new iPad until spring, 2012

Meon, a puzzle game for the iPhone

Aatif Ahmad Khan says:

I had a TurboGrafx 16, still might have the unit lying around somewhere... good old days!
Interesting comparison, nevertheless!

leeiii says:

This back and forth comparing of Android and Apple is childish. IPhone and Android fanboys, competition is good for everyone, it accelerates innovation and forces competitive pricing.

jasonact says:

I think that's exactly the point: there is no competition. As a fan of Apple products, I want there to be a few solid competitors to the iPad. I think we can agree that the popularity of many Android features has helped bring cool features to the iPhone
I agree that the iOS/Android flame wars can get pretty childish, but I see this story as being more about the state of the tablet industry: Despite what many tech companies would have us believe, other tablets simply aren't proper competitors to the iPad yet. The follow up question is "why not?" I haven't heard a good answer to that yet, but, I hope they find an answer soon.

Chris says:

The Galaxy Tab 10.1 is close though.

d2globalinc says:

agree. gave ipad to someone and got two galaxy tab 10.1's screen blows away the ipad, my eyes love me for it..

Chris says:

Yep. The screen on the tab 10.1 blows the ipads screen away. Even if it gets "retnia" in the 3rd generation it still won't be as crisp.

realitystings says:

Nah, not really. Android makes a great phone. Tablets? LOL.
"Case in point: when I went to Staples, I asked the sales guy for the 10.1 and the first thing he said was "What are you buying it for?" When I replied, "development", he said "Ok, because this thing isn't going to replace a laptop for you". No problem, I assured him, we're app devs, and we know what we're doing. Then, the manager came over to verify the coupon I had and asked the same question again. Again I replied "development" and he asked "Of what?" rather indignantly.
"Uh, Android apps?" I replied incredulously.
"Oh, ok, because we're selling a lot of these things, and we get a LOT of them back. People buy them thinking they're getting rid of a laptop, and they all come back returning them.""

Chris says:

Same could be said for the iPad.

Chris says:

Agreed. Choice is always good.

realitystings says:

Multiple legitimate choices is always good.

johnolesen says:

I would have to agree. I love my iPad (and iPhone, and Macbook, and Apple TV) but I want a better tablet than the iPad...I really do.
unfortuantly, there hasn't been one yet. the Samsung Galaxy 10.1 comes close. the Acer Iconia comes close. The HP TouchPad comes close (especially post firmware patch)...but NOTHING has even touched the iPad in terms of usability, and overall usefulness. my 3 year old daughter can play with it...my 85 year old grandmother can use it....its a perfect device.

Chris says:

See I'd love to have a wider ratio on the iPad as well as a higher res screen. Widgets with a widget store. Something more then just an app drawer.

Brad Morris says:

Dang, and I had a Neo-Geo and the Turbo Graphix Turbo Duo, which was the 16 with integrated CD-ROM. Never took off in the US though, but my import games were awesome! I don't know what ever happened to my 3DO though. I loaned it to a friend a long time ago, and it has since disappeared. :( Still have yet to get an iTampax... oops, I mean iPad.

Chris says:

doesn't solve the leakage problems. the smart cover just covers up the mess

Adamfilm says:

Well... there is a selection. This reminds me of the early days of DOS and Windows 3.x
There's selection, but only one choice if you want to actually DO anything...
So quit complaining and get innovating? Maybe?

Brad Morris says:

WHAT??? HERESY!!! When the 3DO first came out, it was lightyears ahead of any other gaming system. But it was also $700 bucks. It was an awesome system!

d2globalinc says:

not bad for 1 year, now I bet we could have had a pretty chart like this before for the iphone, now look at android phones a few years later.. same is happening in tablets.

Oletros says:

Yes, Marco doesn't remember funny graphs like this one o two years ago but with Android smartphones

EmailRequired says:

im confused, why are we talking about tables, and putting turbografx 16 in it

west3man says:

Just when I was thinking that the quality of commentary here might have increased.
You do realize someone can disagree with you and have very good reasons for it, right?

Lilweeds says:

The touch pad really sucks. It is almost unusable. I have had two Android phones before I picked up my iPhone, and while there are one or two things I miss the iPhone just works better.

Dave81j6 says:

just an interesting take from this graph...
I would have thought, based on the numbers of different vendors selling android tablets that android would have sold more than 1.5 million tablets. how did they calculate that figure. Sure, 1.5 million is a lot. HP would be esstatic to move that many Touchpads.
but it is by no means a runaway for the second most common tabletOS. It's interesting because these numbers paint a very different picture than the current state of mobileOS's.

Dave81j6 says:

just an interesting take from this graph...

Dave81j6 says:

are sales figures not individually available for the xoom, samsung galaxy tab, etc
it is foolish to compare sales figures from tablets to consoles. It's not an ideal comparison. Maybe this graph can be revised to only include modern tablet sales figures when those figures are available.

Anonymous says:

The PlayBook hasn't even been in the market for a year, give it time, btw what would happen if we get android tablets' sales divided between each different brand...? The thing is the one who gives the first hit, hits twice, iPad, gave the fist hit.

Emailpost says:

The best part of ipad being #1 is that you cant be #1 forever.