Top 10 secret Siri commands
Maybe you've already mastered the basic Siri commands, read our tips on setting up relationships and improving pronunciation, and even joked around a bit and are itching to try out something a little more ninja? Well look no further! You've shared with us your favorite secret Siri commands and we're sharing them back to all our readers.
- [Punctuation/symbols/emoticons]. Siri can understand many basic symbols, emoticons and punctuation marks, as long as you say them by the right name. Examples include "open parenthesis", "close square bracket", " "frowney face" (love it!), "new paragraph", "pound sign", etc.
- Play playlist [playlist name]. Siri will play not just a song, but a whole playlist for you.
- Find all email by [contact]. Siri will give you a short list of emails from the contact you ask for.
- What's on my calendar for [date]. Siri will show you all your appointments for today, tomorrow, next Monday, or February 28 (2012) if you ask nicely.
- Search [Bing/Yahoo]. If Google's not your cup of tea, Siri will search the competition for you.
- Search [Google/Bing/Yahoo] for [specialized information] [time] [place]. Whether you want the latest scores, show times, etc., if you phrase it just right, Siri can often find it for you.
- Who was in the cast of [movie]: Siri can tell you the name of that actor you know you've seen before but just can't remember.
- Delete all alarms: Siri will delete all alarms, not just individual ones, in case you never want to be woken up again! (I found this by accident on Rene's phone. Shhhh!)
- Message [Social network] [Status]. If you've set it up on Twitter, Facebook, or another social network that lets you update via SMS, Siri will message your status right to it.
- Restart. Siri will re-spring the Springboard. It's not a full reboot, but it's faster.
There are some other super-ninja style tips in the links below, like CalDAV accounts so Siri can post to Remember the Milk, or adding URL schemes to get Siri to open apps. Do you have any other secret, advanced Siri commands? Let us know in the comments!
Have something to say about this story? Share your comments below! Need help with something else? Submit your question!