Daily Tip: How to turn off GPS geo-location for iPhone photos, protect your privacy

Curious how to turn-off the GPS geo-location information your iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad can store in the photos you take? Geo-location can be a handy feature to keep track of where you took travel photos, but it can also raise privacy concerns, especially if you ever lose your iOS device, or someone decides to start tracking you -- or your child -- via pictures posted online.

iOS will ask you to opt-in to the location for the Camera app the first time you launch it, but if you later change your mind, it's simple to opt-out of and turn off.

1. Launch Settings
  2. Tap Location services
  3. Toggle Camera to OFF

If you've already taken photos with your iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad and want to share them but are worried that they might contain location information, you can quickly and easily wipe them clean before posting.

1. Launch Photos
  2. Find the picture you want to share
  3. Take a screen shot of the photo (here's how).
  4. Go to the screen shot
  5. Share the screen shot instead.

Screen shots on an iPhone 4S, iPhone 4, and iPod touch 4 are 960x480, and on iPad are 1024x768, plenty big enough for Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Path, or whatever social network you're using. That way, when and if you choose to share the image, you're not also sharing the GPS coordinates of where you -- and your family -- are.

There's no reason to be paranoid, but there's no reason to be reckless either. Information is power and with power comes responsibility. (For more on why, see this excellent article by David Barnard of App Cubby.(

Surf safe.

iPhone 4S launching December 16 in Russia, Brazil, Taiwan, more

Forums: No 4G on the iPhone, Holiday wallpapers

Lionel Faleiro says:

Thanks for the Tips. Wished Apple put a toggle to turn GPS Co-ordinates off when taking a photo instead of having to alternate between the Camera and Settings App

Lola says:

The fwolloing is a message I do agree with all of the ideas you have presented on your postThey are really convincing and will certainly workStill, the posts are too quick for newbiesCould you please lengthen them a little from next time? Thanks for the post .

Ernesto Berumen says:

Check out GeoGone from the app store. It's free and I use it when emailing pictures. I have Location turned on so that I know where my pictures where taken, but I delete any location data from the photo before I email them.

Sona says:

/ April 28, 2011 8:34 pm I?d be ielcinnd to give blessing with you one this subject. Which is not something I usually do! I love reading a post that will make people think. Also, thanks for allowing me to comment!

Prity says:

sagt:@Alex: Ein rechier Haushalt, gleich 2 iPhones. Sieht man auf einem weiYen iPhone eigentlich die Fingerschmiererei nicht so doll?

bob says:

Yeh Prity, that's easy for you to say!

garmin nuvi 1300 says:

Woah this blog is excellent i really like reading your articles. Stay up the great work! You know, a lot of individuals are looking around for this information, you can aid them greatly.

Garmin 1450LMT Review says:

I've learn some good stuff here. Certainly value bookmarking for revisiting. I surprise how so much effort you place to make one of these fantastic informative site.

jonathanwills says:

Nice tips thanks for sharing.

haco99 says:

"Loooks" App is Check EXIF data of photo.
Can save to remove location, etc, EXIF info that is recorded in photo.

Dafny Michael says:

Just in case you have already geo tagged photos and want to remove or change the location you can use www.photo-location.net
It is very easy and quick!