How to turn photo geotagging on or off on your iPhone or iPad
When you launch the Camera app on your iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad for the first time it'll ask you if it can use your location. That uses Wi-Fi router mapping, and, if available, cell-tower triangulation and GPS to determine where you are and record that information along with the photo. In other words — geotagging. It's great if you want to keep track of where you took your pictures, like on a photo walk or a vacation, but if you want to protect your privacy and keep your location undisclosed, it's not so good. Luckily, even if you allowed location the first time, you can change your mind at any time.
How to enable or disable GPS location tagging on your iPhone or iPad
- Launch the Settings app from your iPhone or iPad Home screen.
- Tap on Privacy.
- Tap on Location Services.
- Tap on Camera.
- Choose either While Using the App or Never.
You can change your mind as often as you like, turning geotagging on when you want to use it, off when you don't.
How to get more help with Camera for iPhone and iPad
- How to quickly access your iPhone camera from the Lock screen
- How to quickly access your iPhone camera from Control Center
- How to take photos with your iPhone or iPad
- How to record a video with your iPhone or iPad
- How to record slow motion videos on your iPhone
- How to switch between 120 fps and 240 fps when taking slow motion video
- How to take time lapse videos with the Camera app
- How to use the panorama camera on your iPhone
- How to use the timer in the Camera app
- How to take a photo using the volume up button with your iPhone or iPad
- How to take a photo while simultaneously shooting video with your iPhone or iPad
- How to quickly edit and share photos and videos from the camera app on iPhone and iPad
- How to use the camera flash on your iPhone
- How to use the HDR camera on your iPhone or iPad
- How to switch between the rear iSight and front FaceTime camera on your iPhone or iPad
- How to lock focus in the Camera app for iPhone and iPad
- How to quickly adjust exposure in the Camera app
- How to use burst mode to capture all the action with your iPhone camera
- How to preview camera filters in real-time on your iPhone
- How to enable the camera grid on your iPhone or iPad
- How to turn photo geotagging on or off on your iPhone or iPad
- How to restrict access to the Camera app with parental restrictions
- Best camera apps for iPhone
Note: Originally published December 2010. Updated December 2013.