The new iPad confirmed to run hotter than last model [Update: Apple statement]

An infrared image of the new iPad

Anecdotal suspicions that the new iPad operated at a noticeably higher temperature than the iPad 2 have been backed up now that someone has pointed an infrared camera at the thing to see what's up. After running GLBenchmark for five minutes, the new iPad ended up being  much hotter than the iPad 2 - 33.6 degrees Celsius versus 28.3 degrees Celsius. The processor is likely to be the source of the additional heat, particularly the additional graphics processing units in this model.

The extra heat isn't getting to the point where new iPads are shutting down, but I would be worried about using it for an extended period of time on a hot day. Considering the new iPad is only marginally thicker than the last iPad, and they're cramming a whole lot more battery and processing power in there, it's no surprise that things are getting a little toasty inside the new iPad.

Have you been having issues with heat? Be sure to let us know about your experience with the new iPad's temperature in the forums!

Update: Apple has issued a statement on the issue to The Loop:

The new iPad delivers a stunning Retina display, A5X chip, support for 4G LTE plus 10 hours of battery life, all while operating well within our thermal specifications,” Apple representative Trudy Muller, told The Loop. “If customers have any concerns they should contact AppleCare.

Source: Tweakers via Engadget; The Loop

Simon Sage

Editor-at-very-large at Mobile Nations, gamer, giant.

F.A.A. reconsidering no-gadget policy during airplane taxi, take-off, and landing

How to watch Flash videos on your new iPad

Jack says:

It's not Clesius
It's not Celesius
It's Celsius

joshnaugle says:

Thanks for pointing that out... By the way, you left the period out after each one of those sentences. But who is paying attention since you are perfect... I don't know what is worse... grammar trolls or people who post "first."

Luis says:

Come-back is a bitch! :)

Word Police says:

I think the whole point is this new group of writers need to proof read a little more instead of seeing how fast they can get an article up on the web, even me are catching mistakes! To be taken as a site to set the bar this type of writing needs to stop.

Stevejubs says:

Jack you damn grammar troll!

iPhoneMilk says:

MATH is important people... i saw another article posting that this was an "18% increase"
Really? 28.3 C > 33.6 C is NOT 18%.
I'm not even Asian... it's literally around 1.7-1.9 % Increase give or take... LESS THEN 2% INCREASE in heat!

iPhoneMilk says:

iMore, i'm surprised you guys are even "Airing" this article.. i'd figured the BUCK Stops here with over sensationalized INCORRECT Articles.
Where's all the blogs on the net writing news of all the Faults of the millions of Android products? Where are they?
I love you guys, but I Expect this kind of Poison and DRIVEL from Android Blogs. this is blatantly false and incorrect.

Carioca32 says:

It is a real issue and it is all over the Apple support website. This is an Apple products blog reporting an Apple product issue, chill out.

Macboy74 says:

It's far from a real issue. But people like you who experience a little warmth will make it an issue.

joshnaugle says:

Actually, it comes out to 18.7%. Not sure what being an Asian has to do with it... I just commented on grammar trolls and now here I am being a math troll... back to work I go...

kaihnsn says:

that's correct the increase was around 16-18%. you got wrong here dude.

Guest says:

You are really reaching here, unless of course when you take ice out of the freezer and then boil it you say "hold on, dear, Im just going to raise the temperature of this ice by 36%"

Fake says:

You are looking at an absolute temperature, which is why changing the scale to kelvin gives you a lower number. The room temperature in kelvin is probably ~293 K, the ipad 2 is ~301 K, and the new ipad is ~307 K. So the temperature rise is 8 K vs 14 K or a 60% rise in temperature above ambient.

Fake says:

You are both incorrect, you should be looking at temperature rise. It is probably more of a 50% increase in heat output.

Not says:

If the calulation is done as a ratio, then it is 18%. (33.6x100)/28.3=118.73 (i.e. 18% over 100%.

Carioca32 says:

Sorry man, it actually kinda is.
18% of 28.3 is ~5, added to 28.3 is ~33.6.
In other words, 28.3 + 18% = ~33.6
Yeah, math is important, you should learn it.

koolguy442 says:

That's not how temperature works, though. What you're saying is something akin to saying Chicago is 18% farther away than Hong Kong. That statement is meaningless if there is no reference point. The only valid reference point as far as temperature goes is 0 K, or -273 C. Using 0 C as your reference is simply as meaningless as using, for instance, 15 C, which would give you an increase of about 71%.
That is, unless you're talking about a homologous temperature, which is a normalized scale of temperature based on the stability window of a particular phase of a material, for instance liquid water or solid iron, expressed as a fraction of said homologous temperature, but since you're not a physicist or materials scientist, you probably don't care.

Carioca32 says:

My reply was a response to the statement that the difference between 33C and 28C was not 18%. It is, regardless of how temperatures work.
The reference point was clearly stated, Celsius degrees. Dragging Kelvin into this just to try to prove the point is silly. The experiment was done in Celsius, and not Kelvin. Even Apple uses Celsius not Kelvin.
BTW, Celsius, as you well know, is not completely arbitrary, so your comparison to the 18% in distance is just deceitful.

yoni45#CB says:

The 18% figure remains silly, however, regardless of what units of temperature are used (C, K, or F). By your reasoning, the percent degree by which the new iPad runs hotter depends on what units are used -- that's rather ridiculous. Saying that the new iPad runs 18% hotter should not be a unit-dependent statement.
There are two reasonable reference points to use here:
a. 0K (-273C) is reasonable because that's the 0% point for any form of heat.
b. Room temperature is reasonable because that's the reference point relative to which the iPad's heat will increase from (this is probably the more reasonable reference point).
Celsius in this regard is indeed arbitrary since neither the freezing nor boiling temperature of water is relevant to an iPad's heat output -- the comparison to Chicago being 18% further was reasonable.

Guest says:

Of course, Kelvin is the only meaningful scale.
I like to drop people off in Death Valley, and then make fun of their dehydration by telling them to suck it up, because it is only 11% hotter here than closer to the coast.

Dufus says:

Isn't there an App for this? Ask LLofte to find one.

Fake says:

The hotspot location could be a reflection from a light source, these measurements should be made with the lights off. It would also be important to note the ambient room temperature to calculate the temperature rise, it looks like it may be a 10 degree rise on the new iPad vs a 6 degree rise on the ipad 2.
I would recommend anyone taking these measurements to turn off the lights, and use the averaging tools on their FLIR to calculate the temperature.

infiniti says:

Just walk into an Apple store, pick up one of the new ipads and you can tell right away that it is running hotter. That was my first reaction as soon as I picked it up. I didn't need someone to take temps or showing me glowing pictures with an infrared camera. I have an ipad 2 and the new ipad is running hotter. Only thing matters is if you are able to cope with the heat while holding it in your hands or not. 18%, 6%, 60% blah.

Fake says:

I don't deny that the new iPad is hotter, it is very clear from the image. I'm only saying that the temperatures are probably slightly lower than the ones mentioned in the article. If you look at the hotspots they appear to be reflections of an overhead light while the image was taken, which affects the temperature results posted. (This is all while ignoring any issues due to emissivity of the rear surface of the ipad).

Carioca32 says:

It could well be, but it seems to me that, since the bezels are not visible in IR, the position of the processor is responsible for the color pattern, not overhead lighting.

DLprac says:

Overhead light? lol. Reflected light does not come into play there at all, since it is an infrared camera, measuring HEAT. The only way an overhead light could affect it is if it was close enough to increase temperature in that one small spot, or a concentrated light beam. Clearly not the case.

bob_ontario says:

(28.3/33.6 x 100)-100=15.8 degrees

clayton2 says:

I'm not sure what that's supposed to represent, but it's not a percent increase.
((33.6-28.3)/28.3)*100 = 18.73% increase
formula:
((newAmount-oldAmount)/oldAmount)*100

Robert says:

Whew..., I was wandering when somebody was going to get the math right. Way to go Clayton.

DLprac says:

Rofl, throw some numbers together randomly, come up with meaningless number, PROFIT!

crateish says:

The new iPad is warm with use, but not hot. My iPhone 4 runs warmer than the iPad when streaming Internet radio over 3G.

AT&T Sucks says:

Thankfully I don't have that problem after I hit 3gb, thanks AT&T

Carioca32 says:

What was the ambient temperature of the test? 33.6 is uncomfortably hot, and if the test was done at a cool lab temperature of 18C or 19C we can expect real world temperatures in the order of 36C to 40C, which is way too hot for a portable device.

C.W.R. says:

I receives my new iPad launch day and passed my iPad2 on to my wife. The new iPad is clearly warm when used for and duration. I repeat, warm. Not hot, warm. My iPhone get warmer when used for an extended period, especially if some program hangs or is sucking down video.

PreMaster says:

The iPad 1 ran extremely hot whenever you used it for more than an hour or so. Almost to the point of making my lap sweat.

west3man says:

Then yours was defective.

Jtyler says:

The fact of the matter is that it is Hotter than what people are normally experience. Beside the new screen, I think Apple fail to deliever on this new iPad. I don't really care the exact percentage of heat increase. Hotter and Thicker are not improvements. Yes, I am very much disappointed.

Clubcarib says:

Then yours is defective because mine is awesome. What a bunch of whiney brats in this site.

west3man says:

I'm always blown away, despite how predictable this probably is, when people post about how x is not a problem, at all. Maybe it's not a problem on your machine, but until you get reliable stats, you don't know enough to make such claims.
My iPad New runs warmer than my iPad Classic ever did but not enough to be problematic, unless it's in direct Florida sunlight (which is inadvisable for any iPad for an extended period). That said, I'm not going to tell an adult stranger that he's wrong when he says that HIS iPad runs so hot that it's uncomfortable to hold.
It really is a dick move.

west3man says:

Re: "The extra heat isn’t getting to the point where new iPads are shutting down, but I would be worried about using it for an extended period of time on a hot day."
I've read otherwise. Reportedly, some are displaying a message that the iPad needs to cool down and then they shut down.

DA623 says:

Its like saying the Core i7 runs hotter than a Core 2 Duo, or the newest GPU runs hotter than the last GPU. Its expected when you have more powerful hardware of any kind, in this case both the GPU and the higher res screen (the LEDs generate abit of heat. feel the back of an iMac that's been running for awhile).
I'm sorry but anyone who freaks out on this doesn't know a DARN thing about even the basics of computer hardware. Plus, their ignoring the majority of laptops out there that can get very hot when doing something intestine, like a game.. But sadly there's enough people out there to buy a story on this if the media wanted to sell this to get viewership, which I know they will...

lv1 says:

No problem with heat here. I use a case. If that gets t
Oo hot to hold then we are really in trouble.

Dev says:

The extra heat isn’t getting to the point where new iPads are shutting down,
Don't be too sure. At least a few anecdotes have rolled in of precisely this. A summary, on theatlantic.
It is impossible for anybody to say these are indicative of a larger problem yet; if it is we would/will see lots more of these stories as the weather warms up, especially in California, Texas, and Florida.
If somebody wants to send an iPad 3 to me in San Diego, I would be happy to engage in field research and report if my experience on a sunny day matched that of Elliot Kroo.
For science, of course.

Theressa Hendrix says:

I'll gear this review to 2 types of people: current Zune owners who are considering an upgrade, and people trying to influence between a Zune and an iPod. (There are other players worth considering out there, like the Sony Walkman X, but I hope this gives you enough info to make an informed choice of the Zune vs players other than the iPod line as well.)

ipad keyboard case says:

It's the first time when i've seen your site. I can gather a lot of hard work has gone in to it. It's actually great.

Phillip Gorey says:

Your blog I found to be very interesting!I just came across your blog and wanted todrop you a note telling you how impressed I was with the information you have posted here.I have a bad credit home loansite.Come and check it out if you get time :-)Best regards!

Arlie Hilbig says:

Seriously, don't even bother with Terminal and command line stuff. Just use Automator. They have a prebuilt workflow that does all the work for you to include putting your highlighted text/copied to the clipboard right into an iTunes file. No fuss, no key commands. Just a sweet one click solution.