Harry Potter series now available in digital eBook format

Harry Potter fans everywhere can now enjoy their favorite series straight from their iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch. The books are available exclusively through the Pottermore shop.

All seven of the Harry Potter books are now available for download. The first three books in the series are available for $7.99 each while the last four books are available for $9.99. If you'd prefer to purchase all of them, you can save yourself a little bit of money by buying all of them together for $57.54.

While it's great to be able to read the Harry Potter books in eBook format on many platforms, I'd have to say I'm a bit irritated with the process users will have to go through in order to get them on their devices.

Since they're only available via the Pottermore shop, you'll have to download them to your computer and either transfer them to iBooks via iTunes or open them natively from your device and choose to open them in iBooks. It's not the most convenient way to download a book and definitely a bit more aggravating than just opening the iBooks store and making a purchase with your iTunes account.

The Harry Potter series is also available for many other eBook readers as well. If you prefer using the Kindle app for iOS, you can choose to download them into your Kindle account and access them normally from there. I'd almost prefer using this method as I'd always be able to sign into my Amazon account on a new or freshly reformatted device and be able to access them without going through the iBooks process all over again.

I have a feeling a lot of hardcore Harry Potter fans will probably overlook the minor annoyance of getting the content onto their devices and will just be glad to finally have Harry Potter available in digital format. I'll personally be using the Kindle app as it seems to be the most convenient as of now. Any of you plan on picking up HP in digital format?

Source: Pottermore

Allyson Kazmucha

Help and how to editor for iMore. I can take apart an iPhone in less than 6 minutes. I also like coffee and Harry Potter more than anyone really should.

Foxconn's parent company takes 46.5% stake in Sharp to ramp up display production

Apple debunks iPad overcharging, explains how charging works

Ryan says:

I was able to download the sample on to my iPad using mobile Safari. When you click on the download link it will ask where you want to open it- just pick iBooks and there it is. Looks great too! As long as it works for the full book then hopefully that'll ease the process for everyone

G323q569 says:

I was able to download the free sample as well on my iPhone 4 and had it open it up in iBooks. Hopefully soon Apple and J.K. Rowling can reach a deal and will be able to sell them normally on iBooks.

iSRS says:

Doing the Dropbox method might be the best. If you read the FAQ, I understood it to be you can only download then a total of 8 times.
Can I put my eBook on multiple devices?
Yes, you can download each Harry Potter eBook for personal use up to eight times, so you can save a copy to your computer, eReader, tablet, mobile phone and any other compatible device. See Can I read eBooks on my device? for more information.

Ryan says:

Well spotted. Dropbox it is then!

Crypton says:

You can buy them from Germany (although only in GB english, which I prefer). After the purchase the books can be downloaded eight times in different formats. I first linked them to my Kindle account, then downloaded them as epub on my notebook. 46,19 € well spend... :)

jrabe01 says:

Do you know if you can import them into iTunes , the Kindle app and Google Play Books. Do you have to choose a format and stck with it?

DaHui623 says:

I believe they come in ePub format. They can be downloaded, per the website, in all major ereader format, including all Kindle devices and apps, B&N readers, Sony readers, iBooks, etc.

Crypton says:

You have eight downloads. You can choose for each download in which format you want to download.
I downloaded first as Kindle then as ePub.

jessedholm says:

Funny...I've had all the Harry Potter epubs on my iPad for years! wink

Luis says:

"Anyone know a good avada kedavra curse"
Well. That one.

Luis says:

Curiously enough I was doing this search of Harry potter yesterday.

Peter Jones says:

It is very simple to download this app.. Just few steps and you will get your collection of this adventurous series ! A great iPad app to download

jlb21 says:

Note that a "DL" to Kindle is one DL to your Amazon account. Once there, it is available in your Amazon library to move to your Kindle devices and apps as you see fit without affecting the Pottermore DL count #.
For example, I purchased and pushed all 7 books to my Amazon account. I DLed to my computer since I like to transfer to my Kindle via USB. It also automatically pushed the books to my iPhone and my wife's iPad.
On both the iPad and iPhone I deleted them off the local device/Kindle App and subsequently redownloaded Sorcerer's stone to both. I then went and checked Pottermore and noted that ALL books were still at 7 available downloads.
So to summarize again, Amazon library is 1...again....1 DL on Pottermore and you are free to move them about your authorized Kindle devices/apps as you see fit.
This is great!!!

teacher24_70 says:

Does anyone know if it can be downloaded to 2 separate Kindle accounts? Both of my nephews are getting Kindles for Christmas, but they'll each have their own account. Can I buy them once and have it downloaded to each of their accounts ( and possibly my own)? Or is it limited to once per format?

Dierdre Culpit says:

Well written.. Thank You very much for this. If You like You can visit my site.

Florentino Sakkas says:

Just saw the same thing, and I share the concerns. His advice at the end seems spot-on. But Barack is his own man, charting a course, so only time will tell.

sleeping insomnia says:

I have to say that for the past couple of hours i have been hooked by the impressive articles on this website. Keep up the wonderful work.

Laurinda Osaki says:

I simply can not find a place here to order a subscribtion to "Letters in the Mail" for a gift or two and also for myself.It sounds like a wonderful idea and several of my friends will be delighted to receive letters in the mail....Diane

home hot water heaters says:

Wonderful points altogether, you just gained a emblem new reader. What might you suggest in regards to your publish that you made some days ago? Any certain?

Denver Heral says:

My favourite is Hulu.com, but I think Netflix is actually quite good. I guess there will be many and many more new sites that offer tv and movies online in the near future.

Cyfrowa Prasa says:

It is in point of fact a nice and helpful piece of information. I am satisfied that you just shared this useful info with us. Please stay us up to date like this. Thanks for sharing.

Cindy says:

When I try to download the books to my iPad, I get a message saying safari cannot download this file. Any suggestions???

Vox says: