Apple debunks iPad overcharging, explains how charging works

Apple Vice President of iPad Marketing, Michael Tchao, has set the record straight on allegations that the new iPad either fails to report the proper charge level, or over-charges and risks damage if left charging for too long. Speaking with AllThingsD, Tchao explained:

That circuitry is designed so you can keep your device plugged in as long as you would like. It’s a great feature that’s always been in iOS.

Ina Fried goes on to explain:

Apple does, in fact, display the iPad (and iPhone and iPod Touch) as 100 percent charged just before a device reaches a completely charged state. At that point, it will continue charging to 100 percent, then discharge a bit and charge back up to 100 percent, repeating that process until the device is unplugged. Doing so allows devices to maintain an optimum charge, Apple VP Michael Tchao told AllThingsD today.

Regardless of when the charge cycle is interrupted, the iPad batter will last about 10 hours on Wi-Fi. Apple chose not to show the cyclic fluctuations on the battery indicator.

So we can add "batterygate" to "warmgate" on the list of blow-out-of-proportion non-stories consumers have had to endure since the new iPad launched on March 7. What's next, LTE boiling water? Retina displays causing sun tans? Dictation leading to scratchy throats?

Source: AllThingsD

Harry Potter series now available in digital eBook format

Apple, attention, and the Bruce Lee cover

JC says:

It only goes to show once again what a joke the media is these days. Everything they report on has an agenda attached, the facts be damned.

Inappropriate response says:

Exactly .. Another day , another storm in a teacup.

Typo says:

"batter"??
Try "battery".

Andrew says:

Ole, I'm so sorry we seemed unicarng about your trouble with iOS5 and Wi-Fi Credits. We DO care and we'd like to look into what happened. Please email . I'm happy to investigate and help you. Best,Baochi

c_hack says:

Good info from Apple. It nice to know Apple is thinking about how to best maintain the batteries. I always wondered how the battery on my 1 1/2 year old 1st gen iPad was as good as new.

musicfor18 says:

I like LTE Boiling Water.

sting7k says:

I've noticed both cases of what they describe with my iPhone as well and ever batted an eye. Why is this a big deal now?

Parth says:

I simply waetnd to thank you so much once more. I'm not certain the things that I could possibly have sorted out without the type of advice contributed by you concerning such a theme. Certainly was the alarming situation in my view, however , noticing this well-written form you treated the issue made me to weep with gladness. I am just grateful for your assistance and then trust you know what an amazing job that you're carrying out educating many people with the aid of your blog. Most probably you have never got to know all of us.

Nathan says:

There will always be some media or people trying to bring down a quality piece of tech. Guess the heat didn't take off like attenagate so move on to next thing. Happy with my purchase and plan to use this couple years before upgrading.

Glenn#IM says:

I wish I could recall where this quote came from, but so true. "We will never let the truth get in the way of a good story." it is an old quote, but so true for today's media.

Mark says:

So sad Apple needs to explain the concept of "plug it in, it won't hurt it."

NxTech3 says:

this is the way all cell batteries are. They charge to 100 drop to 90 then charge back up. You arent going to see the percentage change. Thats why when you see 100 and take off the charger and it drops to 94 a couple seconds later. It was on its way back up from 90...

Filiz says:

Good day! This is my 1st comment here so I just watned to give a quick shout out and say I really enjoy reading your posts. Can you suggest any other blogs/websites/forums that deal with the same topics? Many thanks!

Cheri Teer's says:

Seems like it takes extra long for my iPad 3 to charge. I had the first generation and hubby has iPhones but none are like this when it comes to time it takes to charge up. Any suggestions?