Steve Jobs didn't care for the Siri name but couldn't think of something better

iPhone 4S hero

Dag Kittlaus, creator of Siri, recently gave a keynote at Technori Pitch and talked about how much Steve Jobs disliked the name Siri. Only after he couldn't think of a better alternative did he finally succumb to using the name.

Dag insisted the name was great and continued to explain the meaning to Jobs. For those that don't know, Siri actually translates in Norwegian to "beautiful woman who leads you to victory". Kittlaus had previously worked with a woman named Siri when he first learned of the name and the origin. He was particularly fond of the name and even contemplated naming his first daughter Siri. When his first child ended up being a boy, the name didn't quite work out the way he pictured. It did, however, find its way into a product we all know and love today.

Kittlaus had worked with Jobs for about a year before he became sick after Apple decided to purchase Siri.

"...he talked about why Apple was going to win, and we talked about how Siri was doing. And he was very excited about the fact that.. you know, he was very interested in this area in general but, you know, they're patient, they don't jump on anything until they feel they can go after something new and he felt that we cracked it. So that was his attraction.

I ended up very lucky, timing wise. I got to work with him for a year before he got real sick. And he's pretty incredible. The stories are true. All of the stories."

Up until this past October, Kittlaus worked with Apple on Siri in Cupertino. He recently has moved back to Chicago to be a part of other opportunities and be closer to his family. Hit the link below to read more.

Source: iOnApple

Allyson Kazmucha

Editor for iMore, Potter pundit, and the ninja in your iOS

How to use multitasking gesture navigation shortcuts on the new iPad

Review: Angry Birds Space - entering orbit at the speed of rage

sting7k says:

I like “beautiful woman who leads you to victory” a lot more than just Siri. Might just refer to it as that from now on.

websyndicate says:

yea really Siri I dont find it too useful. I tried using it but I just have no use for it. I dont like it connects to a server

Kid.Canada says:

Yeah the only "woman" you iNerds can flirt with and feel like a player lol

Unforgiven says:

This coming from the guy that nothing better to do than troll a Apple site.

HerptyDerpty says:

Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics. Even if you win, you're still retarded.

bbui4 says:

One tasteless comment does not deserve another....

Bob Marley says:

KidCanada......stick to what Canadians know best....beer, Tim Hortons, Hockey, spelling the word "colour" with the letter U, and that's it.
Those clowns at RIM don't represent your country very well, and neither do you with your stupid toolbag comments.

AshGetsCrabs says:

@herptyDerpty
C'mon dude...that comment wasnt nessesary. Seriously.

MrDevali says:

First off I hate this toolbag kid from the great white north, second herpis comment is highly offensive and uncalled for ( feel free to delete that comment please) and lastly I too have issue with Siri... Great idea but the server connection just to playy
iPod playlist is crazy.. I live in the woods and have good service at my house and work but the 30 min commute is rough, service fades in and out so I can't use voice command to do anything useful in the car. Which is disappointing because I enjoyed voice operated iPod controls with my iPhone 4 in the past

NEO2126 says:

hmm.... I asked Siri what her name meant, and she said that she can't explain it in my language

Luis says:

AirAssistant? lol too long, but I think the same, siri was just not "magical".
What about RoboTime. Trololol.

Thing That Im About to Say says:

No matter what the infallible Steve Jobs decided to name it... it still would suck.

iDonev says:

That's surprising to me... I always thought Siri was an abbreviation with the last "I" standing for "intelligence".

Japple says:

Siri - I wouldn't have liked it either if I was Steve. Though Siri is easy to say and has a nice meaning to it

franquicias de informatica says:

I feel that is among the such a lot significant info for me. And i'm glad reading your article. However should statement on some common things, The website taste is wonderful, the articles is actually nice : D. Excellent job, cheers