Editorial

Notification Center in Yosemite: Explained

News

Notification Center in iOS 8 offers quick replies, actionable items

News

Apple shows off the new Notification Center in OS X 10.10 Yosemite

Featured Video

WWDC 2012 Flashback: Mountain Lion, iOS 6 and the radical new Retina MacBook Pro

iPhone

How to create and customize vibration alerts on your iPhone

How to

How to use the flash on your iPhone as a LED notification light

How to

How to use Notification Center for iPhone and iPad: The ultimate guide

How to

How to use Lock screen, Today, popups, and banners in Notification Center for iPhone and iPad

How to

How to manage Notification Center banners, popups, badges, and sounds on your iPhone and iPad

How to

How to set up and use Do Not Disturb mode on iPhone and iPad

How to

How to organize alerts in Notification Center for iPhone and iPad

How to

How to disable Notification Center on the Lock screen of your iPhone and iPad

iOS

iOS 8 might offer adjustments to Notifications Center and Messages, better communication between apps

OS X

iOS 7.0.6 and 6.1.6 for iPhone and iPad released, go get your bug fixes! [Update: Apple TV too!]

Editorial

Improve your iPhone's bedside manner with this quick Do Not Disturb tip

iOS

How to customize the Today view on Notification Center for iPhone and iPad

iPhone

Does nobody at Apple sleep?

iOS

How to use Do Not Disturb when your iPhone is unlocked with iOS 7

iOS

Apple releases iOS 6.1.5 for iPod touch 4, also fixes FaceTime call bug

OS X Mountain Lion gets Notification Center do-not-disturb -- Can we have that for iOS 6?

Apple updated their OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion developer preview 8 distribution yesterday and with it came a new feature for Notification center -- do not disturb. It looks like a great feature and something that would be very much welcome not only in OS X, but in iOS 6 as well. 9to5Mac's Mark Gurman describes it thusly:

The feature is a toggle accessible at the top of Notification Center that allows users to block incoming alerts and banners. The feature is very important for those who look to focus entirely on the content they are currently working on and do not want to be bothered by new emails, iMessages, calendar alerts, or other types of alerts.

I'd love this for shooting app and accessory videos alone, as nothing ruins a good shot like a spam email or silly tweet showing up right in the middle of a hero shot. For general use, the ability to kill notifications when going into important meetings, when you really need a good night's sleep, or even if you just want to game or watch video without interuption would be fantastic.

Of course, the real solution would be to have location and time based profiles, where "home" could be set up differently from "work", for example, or "day" could have different settings than "night". Third party apps like Tweetbot have allowed time-based notification suppression on their own for a while, but globally that's something only the platform owner, Apple, can address.

Notification Center do not disturb mountain lion

Source: 9to5Mac

OtterBox Reflex Series Case for iPad 2 only $38.95 [Daily deal]

Apple snags 14% mobile market share in U.S., still behind Samsung and LG

stephen007 says:

This is an important feature for those of us that are oncall at night for our jobs. It's very important that we get phone calls but I don't want to hear the ding of spam, texts, and my friends' Facebook updates.

Dave says:

Yes, this. Exactly this.

CycloneFW says:

I completely agree. I would totally pay extra for this. That is the one thing I really miss about my Palm Pre (aside from VZW's legal and free tethering for the Pres). There was this app that provided such system inputs and could be used by triggers based on time, calendar entries, wifi network, GPS location, which programs are open, etc. Loved it!

Joe McG says:

iOS 6 DEFINITELY needs this. I give work presentations using my iPad on a projector screen. During a Keynote presentation, I was embarrassed when "Words With Friends" notifications were popping up during my presentation. I'm really not sure why notifications would show up during a presentation (Keynote should block this). However, now I go into airplane mode whenever giving a presentation. Pretty annoying.

igorsky says:

Agreed. Would be nice if we got options in iOS 6 for an off button and time-based.

Dev says:

They just need to reimplement what they had in iOS4 -- a system wide "do not buzz me" toggle for notifications. Most of the time, I do not even mind banners, but there are times when I need the phone to ring, but do not want a sound/vibration for any app notifications.

sfwrtr says:

For iOS, turning on Do Not Disturb could drop down three fields:
Type All>
Time Always>
Location Everywhere>
Then, to refine, tapping each brings of a panel in the style of the reminders app. That way you can assign a range of hours or just exclude push notifications, for example. Hope to see this one.

Dennis says:

Coming from Blackberry this was a big disappointment. Blackberries have a preloaded "phone only" profile in addition to silent, vibrate and all notifications on. Also, you can create custom profiles; I had one for running where only calls and text messages would get through.
If this is added to iOS 6 a lot of users will quickly get in the habit of switching to a phone only mode right before they go to bed. Getting a Words With Friends Notification at 1 am is irritating.

yankle says:

YES! and revamp imessage - it SUCKS its nothing near as good as BBM, im in iphone luver but imessaage is just sms turned blue!

Plazmic Flame says:

I have an iPhone 4S and it already feels like DND is implemented. I never remember to check my notification area. I'm more reminded about pending items through the badges above the app.

Epic says:

In addition to time based notifications--person based notifications would be excellent. Letting certain calls ring but only if from certain contacts between certain hours.

Deadra Truitt says:

Wow! Just admirable! Your composition style is charming and the way you managed the subject with grace is laudable.Since i'm fascinated, I take for granted you could be an grasp on this problem. I'm subscribing for your updates from now on.