The Daily for iPhone review: now all the great content from The Daily is available on your iPhone

The Daily was the very first custom daily news app created for the iPad back in 2011, and now you can get all that great content on your iPhone. The Daily for iPhone is beautiful and extremely easy to use app for Newsstand -- no fluff or complicated UI's to distract from reading your news!

If already have a subscription to The Daily for the iPad, your subscription will carry over the iPhone for no additional cost. A subscription to The Daily is $1.99/mo or $19.99/yr. If you don't want to pay for the subscription, you will still have access to great, daily content, just not all content.

When browsing through The Daily, swiping left and right will switch between categories and swiping up and down will scroll through the stories in that category. The categories include news, business, gossip, opinion, arts & life, apps & tech, sports, video, and pictures.

To read a story, view a photo, or watch a video, you simply tap on it. The Daily include 3 different font sizes that can be changed while reading each post. You can also read comments and leave a comment of your own. For stories you want to share with your friends, you can easily send them to Facebook, Twitter, or email with just the tap of a button

This really is The Daily in a nutshell. It's super easy to use and very basic -- which is a good thing.

The Good

• Swipe up and down to scroll through stories in a category
  • Swipe left and right to switch between categories
  • multi-panel UI to quickly jump to a category
  • Read and leave comments to stories
  • Beautiful photos
  • Videos
  • 3 different font sizes
  • Share to email, Facebook or Twitter

The Bad

• I have no clue why "Switch to New Issue" is displayed. Tapping it does nothing.

The bottom line

The Daily is a great news app for the iPhone with great journalism. If you don't want to sign up for a subscription, you'll still have access to great, free daily content. Not only is the content great, but the UI is as well. The Daily found a great balance between being visually appealing, simple to use, and efficient.

Free - Download Now

Leanna Lofte

App and Photography Editor at iMore. Mother, wife, and math instructor. Follow her on Twitter @llofte and send her apps to consider for review at iosapps@imore.com

iPhone 4S vs. Galaxy S III

Post iPhone ergo propter iPhone

tomuky says:

Can you guys quit trying to win the Nobel Peace Prize with the feature image on every single post?

Trusttee says:

I don't mind the image itself - but the size of it is just enormous. It makes scrolling down the site a bit more painful than it has to be. I actually commented on this before but got no response from the iMore staff. Hopefully (one day) they'll go back to having reasonably sized images on the home page.
I must admit tho - they are all awesome photos; they're just too big...I know, "that's what she said" - I set myself up for that one.

Leanna Lofte says:

Hmm. Our images are big, but I don't think they're too big. We've intentionally chosen dimensions that are long and skinny so as to minimize the scrolling. We take pride in our images and want to show them off. I'm pretty sure they won't be getting any smaller. Sorry :-/

Leanna Lofte says:

I'm sorry we take pride in our work and strive to produce original, beautiful content. We should be boring and copy whatever everyone else does.

Troy89 says:

Not quite sure what is wrong with the picture but it is showing up just fine and not overly big on my laptop

Carioca32 says:

A little off topic but Leanna's posts are a model of what an Apple fan blog should be. There never is any bickering about competing platforms, or needless posts about why Apple is awesome and everyone else sucks, and why Steve Jobs is god and Tim Cook is his apostle.
Its pure info about iProducts and apps, no bickering, no jealous and ultimately predictable cross platform comparisons. I wish more of iMore was like this.
Back to our normal programming, after using Flipboard for iPhone it´s hard to see the value in subscribing to The Daily. After getting used to reading organized news from several sources is hard to settle for just one.

Glenn#IM says:

They fit perfect on the iPhone, and iPad. If you have a 20+inch laptop screen, it looks big, but so does most photos.
Reference The Daily, nice addition for the iPhone.

jwsnj3rd says:

It's nice but there's a lot of locked articles that you need to pay for to see.

UchihaHogosha says:

I use both Flipboard and The Daily (awesome!) and having the Daily for my phone is outstanding. I've been waiting for them to release it for iPhone.

The New iPad says:

I liked as much as you'll obtain performed proper here. The caricature is attractive, your authored subject matter stylish. nevertheless, you command get bought an impatience over that you want be turning in the following. in poor health indubitably come further in the past again as exactly the similar nearly a lot continuously inside of case you defend this increase.