Apple quietly releases new iPad Smart Case

New iPad Smart Case WWDC 2012

Apple quietly released a new iPad Smart Case, amongst the many other announcements at WWDC 2012.

When the Apple Store went back online shortly after the keynote, many people noticed that Apple had snuck in a new iPad accessory into the store, 'The iPad Smart Case."

The 'Smart Case' is compatible with both the iPad 2 and the new iPad, and covers both the front and back of the device, giving your device extra protection. It's made out polyurethane and works with all current 'Smart Covers', giving you the same functionality, in both 'typing' and 'watching' positions. You can customise your 'Smart Case' with Apple's free lazer engraving service.

The new 'iPad Smart Case' is available for $49.00 in Grey, Black, Blue, Green, Pink and 'PRODUCT (Red)'.

Apple Store

George Lim

Writer for iMore, YouTube Vlogger, and Host for [TEChBrits]

Apple quietly lays the 17-Inch MacBook Pro to rest, refurbished units still available

Apple releases iTunes 10.6.3, includes support for iOS 6 beta

Brad says:

Anyone know if these are available today in Apple stores? This is exactly what I've been looking for!

dloveprod says:

I need one, wonder if I can sell my old one on eBay.

UndergroundWire says:

Its only the case; not the Smart Cover.

BradM73 says:

Actually, I just spoke to an Apple sales rep and they stated that the Smart Case is an all-in-one product. It includes both the back casing and from the way I understood him, the Smart Cover portion is integrated into the case. However, I'm not really sure that it's removable like the normal Smart Cover is.
The one thing I'm worried about is that the actual "Smart Cover" hinge appears to be made from polyurethane, instead of metal like on the normal Smart Cover, and that may be a point of weakness over a long period of time that I suspect might eventually fail with a lot of folding. But that's just a guess based on the photos on Apple's website. I wish they had a video or more information about the new Smart Case, so I think for now, I'll wait a bit until they're available in store and can check them out. They do look nice though.

dloveprod says:

Good point, that hinge seems like it would wear out quick.

Sterbuck says:

Similar case here
Under $10

Cornerstar31 says:

It's not even close to similar because it's fake.
Those products tempt to fall apart within a few months.
I have also a cheapskate uncle that acted like you and didn't want to spend the few extra bucks on the original smart cover.
It looked really ugly and it did fall apart after 3 months.
My previous iPad 2 which I gave to my daughter still has the same cover, which I bought almost a year and a half ago.
Come on just spend the few extra bucks, and get the real thing

Sterbuck says:

Sterbuck says:

Sorry for the bad links. But monoprice.com has similar cases if your looking to save $$

Cornerstar31 says:

Cheapskate, go hide in your cave.

Gabriel Rimi says:

I guess you're mistaken. "The iPad Smart Case covers your iPad — both front and back — "
It DOES "include" the smart cover. Its back and front protection on a single cover.

KungFuGrip says:

Timing's bad... and the colors. I've already gone with the black leather SC and the clear slim back cover w/magnet (holds SC against back of iPad when open).
These will sell well, though. Wonder why this wasn't thought of last year for the iPad 2... they would've effectively crushed all 3rd-party case competition I'm sure.

Justin says:

They should have put a magnet on the back to hold the smart cover in place when folded back.

benjimen says:

The fact that you have to choose a material (Polyurethane), but it's the only option, sorta indicates there's another material option coming soon enough to build the selection choice into the web page, I'd guess leather is around the corner ;-)

CrzyP says:

I like it and probably would have bought one when I got my new iPad, but I like my smart cover and belkin snap shield setup better. 1. Because I can take off the smart cover 2. It has the metal strip on the snap shield to secure the smart cover.

MooPenguin32 says:

I like the idea, but I don't like the fact that the smart cover is integrated into the case and non-removable. When I'm playing a game on my iPad in portrait mode, I take the smart cover off because it gets in the way.

CamrioKid says:

Ya'll need to check out www.speckproducts.com. They have some killer cases for all your Apple babies - I have been a satisfied customer since the original iPhone. You won't be disappointed.

Natural gas water heaters says:

Excellent points altogether, you simply received a logo new reader. What could you suggest in regards to your post that you simply made some days in the past? Any certain?

Generate Residual Income says:

Great work! That is the type of info that are meant to be shared around the web. Disgrace on Google for not positioning this put up upper! Come on over and consult with my web site . Thanks =)

Living Composers Quartet Music|Living Composer Quartet Music says:

Hi there, You have performed an excellent job. I'll certainly digg it and in my view suggest to my friends. I am sure they'll be benefited from this site.

buy online amazon staf says:

You're actually a good webmaster. The web site loading pace is amazing. It kind of feels that you are doing any unique trick. Furthermore, The contents are masterpiece. you've done a wonderful activity in this topic!

auto internet marketing says:

Thank you for the auspicious writeup. It in reality was a leisure account it. Glance advanced to more introduced agreeable from you! However, how could we keep up a correspondence?

DC Emergency board up says:

My brother suggested I would possibly like this web site. He used to be entirely right. This submit truly made my day. You can not consider simply how so much time I had spent for this info! Thank you!

Roman Pozler says:

It's clean and pretty for maybe month. Then the thing gets dirty full of uncleanable smudges all around the corners and lines around. And the case does not fit on iPad well, it's a bit loose.

Don't like it.

Original Smart Cover is waaaay better.

Iphone7291 says:

I love my iPad smart case! Use it every day, had it for about 6 months and have no smudges or dirtiness. Only complains I have is that I feel it should have a magnet somewhere on the back of the case so that when you open the cover it sticks to the back of the case so it's not flopping around or you have to hold it, and also when you use it as a stand it stands like directly straight up and tips over a lot.

Daniel Sandercock says:

i have the smart case. i like but i have the same problem as the person above.