Replying to an iMessage (or SMS or MMS) is only one of several things you can do with the iPhone, iPod touch, iPad, and Mac Messages app. You can also copy it or forward it onto someone else. Copying an iMessage is a great way to move important information to other apps, like Mail or Notes or for searching in Safari. Forwarding is a super fast way to share one person's iMessage with another. Here's how!
How to copy an iMessage (or SMS) on iPhone, iPod touch and iPad
Copying is handy for a time when you only need to copy the text from an individual message to the clip board and paste it somewhere else. That can be in a new or existing message or into a completely different app. This is the option you want to use if you need to use the content in a way other than forwarding it in another iMessage or SMS.
- Launch the Messages app on your iPhone or iPad and find the message you'd like to copy.
- Tap and hold on the message you wish to copy.
Tap and hold the message field in the conversation that you'd like to paste in.
How to forward an iMessage (or SMS) on iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad
- Launch Messages from your Home screen.
- Tap and hold the message you'd like to forward.
- Tap More....
- Tap on the forward button in the lower right hand corner.
A new message will populate pre-filled with your forwarded text. Just fill out the rest and send it on its way!
Keep in mind you can forward more than one message at a time too. Just tap all the ones you want to forward before you tap the actual forward button!
How to get more help with iMessage
If you're having issues getting iMessage to activate, get more help at the iMore forums, and for more tips, check out:
- How to enable and activate (or re-activate) iMessage
- How to add additional email addresses to iMessage
- How to copy or forward iMessages on iPhone and iPad
- How to delete iMessages on iPhone and iPad
- How to set messages to automatically delete themselves with iMessage
- How to save space on your iPhone or iPad by setting iMessage videos to automatically delete
- How to edit the expiration of audio messages in iMessage
- How to increase privacy with iMessage
- How to send texts using iMessage
- How to use quick reply messaging with iMessage
- How to mute individual message threads in iMessage
- How to leave group messages with iMessage for iPhone and iPad
- How to send photos using iMessage
- How to quickly delete multiple images at once with iMessage
- How to send videos using iMessage
- How to send photo and video selfies in just seconds with iMessage
- How to send a quick voice message with iMessage
- How to quickly share your location using iMessage
- How to send contact cards using iMessage
- How to send map locations using iMessage
- How to send Voice Memos with iMessage
- How to report iMessage spam to Apple
- How to turn on and off read receipts in iMessage
- How to block iMessages on the iPhone or iPad
- How to block iMessages on the Mac
- How to disable iMessage on iPhone if you switch to Android
- Receiving iMessages on iPhone 6 and 6 Plus but not regular texts? Here's how to fix it!