Apple announces the iPhone 5

Apple has just announced the iPhone 5 and it is exactly like the leaks we have seen so far. It is currently being revealed on stage by Phil Schiller. The iPhone 5 will have a 4-inch screen with a retina display at 1136 x 640 and 326 PPI. The iPhone 5 will be 18% thinner than the iPhone 4S and will weigh 20% less too. The iPhone 5 is made from aluminium and glass and is made to fit your hand and allow one handed usage. The iPhone 5 will come with LTE as well as the usual flavors of HSPA along with N wireless at 2.4 and 5ghz. The new A6 chip will power the iPhone 5 and its claimed that it will double the performance of the iPhone 5 and double the performance of the graphics too. Press release after the jump!

Apple Introduces iPhone 5
Thinnest, Lightest iPhone Ever Features All-New Aluminum Design, Stunning 4-Inch Retina Display, A6 Chip & Ultrafast Wireless
SAN FRANCISCO--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Apple® today announced iPhone® 5, the thinnest and lightest iPhone ever, completely redesigned to feature a stunning new 4-inch Retina™ display; an Apple-designed A6 chip for blazing fast performance; and ultrafast wireless technology*—all while delivering even better battery life.** iPhone 5 comes with iOS 6, the world’s most advanced mobile operating system with over 200 new features including: the all new Maps app with Apple-designed cartography and turn-by-turn navigation; Facebook integration; Passbook® organization; and even more Siri® features and languages.
“We’ve packed an amazing amount of innovation and advanced technology into a thin and light, jewel-like device with a stunning 4-inch Retina display, blazing fast A6 chip, ultrafast wireless, even longer battery life; and we think customers are going to love it.” “iPhone 5 is the most beautiful consumer device that we’ve ever created,” said Philip Schiller, Apple’s senior vice president of Worldwide Marketing. “We’ve packed an amazing amount of innovation and advanced technology into a thin and light, jewel-like device with a stunning 4-inch Retina display, blazing fast A6 chip, ultrafast wireless, even longer battery life; and we think customers are going to love it.”
iPhone 5 is the thinnest smartphone in the world, with an all-new 7.6 mm anodized aluminum body that is 18 percent thinner and 20 percent lighter than iPhone 4S. Designed with an unprecedented level of precision, iPhone 5 combines an anodized aluminum body with diamond cut chamfered edges and glass inlays for a truly incredible fit and finish.
The new 4-inch Retina display on iPhone 5 delivers even more pixels than iPhone 4S, making the already incredible Retina display even better. By making the screen taller, not wider, iPhone 5 is just as easy to use with one hand so you can tap, type and scroll the same way you always have, while enjoying even more of your content including amazing apps optimized for the larger Retina display, widescreen HD video, a full five days of your Calendar and more of every web page.
iPhone 5 supports ultrafast wireless standards including LTE and DC-HSDPA, so you can browse, download and stream content even faster. To support the latest LTE technology, Apple has pioneered a unique single-radio LTE solution that provides blazing fast speeds while fitting perfectly into the new remarkably thin design. iPhone 5 features dual-band 802.11n Wi-Fi support for a wireless experience up to 150 Mbps.***
The all-new A6 chip was designed by Apple to maximize performance and power efficiency to support all the incredible new features in iPhone 5, including the stunning new 4-inch Retina display—all while delivering even better battery life. With up to twice the CPU and graphics performance, almost everything you do on iPhone 5 is blazing fast for launching apps, loading web pages and downloading email attachments.
The 8 megapixel iSight® camera is the most popular camera in the world and with iPhone 5, it’s even better. The new camera is completely redesigned with incredible optical performance, yet amazingly it’s 25 percent smaller than the camera in iPhone 4S. The new iSight camera in iPhone 5 features a sapphire crystal lens cover that is thinner and more durable than standard glass with the ability to provide crystal clear images. The new panorama feature lets you capture jaw-dropping panorama images of up to 28 megapixels by simply moving the camera across a scene in one smooth motion. New video features include improved stabilization, video face detection for up to 10 faces and the ability to take still photos as you record. A new FaceTime® HD front facing camera makes FaceTime calls incredibly clear and can also be used for self portraits and recording 720p HD video. iPhone 5 also allows you to share photos with friends and family using iCloud’s Shared Photo Streams.
iPhone 5 features the new Lightning™ connector that is smaller, smarter and more durable than the previous connector. The all-digital Lightning connector features an adaptive interface that uses only the signals that each accessory requires, and it’s reversible so you can instantly connect to your accessories. The Lightning-to-30-pin Adapter is also available to connect iPhone 5 to legacy 30-pin accessories.****
iPhone 5 introduces new enhanced audio features including a new beam-forming, directional microphone system for higher quality sound, while background noise fades away with new noise canceling technology. iPhone 5 now includes support for cellular wideband audio for crisper word clarity and more natural sounding speech. Wideband audio will be supported by over 20 carriers worldwide at launch. iPhone 5 comes with the new Apple EarPods™ featuring a breakthrough design for a more natural fit and increased durability, and an incredible acoustic quality typically reserved for higher-end earphones.
iPhone 5 comes with iOS 6, the world’s most advanced mobile operating system with over 200 new user features including: an all new Maps app with Apple-designed cartography, turn-by-turn navigation and an amazing new Flyover™ view; Facebook integration for Contacts and Calendar, with the ability to post directly from Notification Center; Passbook, the simplest way to get all your passes in one place; new Siri features, including support for more languages, easy access to sports scores, restaurant recommendations and movie listings;***** Siri and Facebook-enabled apps like Photos, Safari® and Maps; and Shared Photo Streams via iCloud®.
Pricing & Availability
iPhone 5 comes in either white & silver or black & slate, and will be available in the US for a suggested retail price of $199 (US) for the 16GB model and $299 (US) for the 32GB model and $399 (US) for the 64GB model. iPhone 5 will be available from the Apple Online Store (www.apple.com), Apple’s retail stores, and through AT&T, Sprint, Verizon Wireless and select Apple Authorized Resellers. iPhone 5 will be available in the US, Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Japan, Singapore and the UK on Friday, September 21, and customers can pre-order their iPhone 5 beginning Friday, September 14. iPhone 4S will also be available for just $99 (US) and iPhone 4 will be available for free with a two-year contract.****** iOS 6 software will be available on Wednesday, September 19 as a free software update.
iPhone 5 will roll out worldwide to 22 more countries on September 28, including Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland.
* LTE is available through select carriers. Network speeds are dependent on carrier networks, check with your carrier for details.
** Battery life depends on device settings, usage and other factors. Actual results vary.
*** Based on theoretical speeds, actual speeds may vary.
**** Sold separately. ***** Not all features are supported in all countries.
****** Availability varies by carrier. Apple designs Macs, the best personal computers in the world, along with OS X, iLife, iWork and professional software. Apple leads the digital music revolution with its iPods and iTunes online store. Apple has reinvented the mobile phone with its revolutionary iPhone and App Store, and is defining the future of mobile media and computing devices with iPad.

chrisoldroyd

UK editor at iMore, mobile technology lover and air conditioning design engineer.

App Store reaches over 700,000 apps, average consumer uses 100 apps

Familiar Apple apps ready for iPhone 5, third-party apps get black bars

dloveprod says:

It's everything I thought it would be so far.

StuartV says:

So, it's a smaller screen, with lower resolution, than other phones that are already out? And thicker than other phones that are already out, too?

eahinrichsen says:

A 4" screen is a pretty good size, though. I have a Galaxy Nexus, and while I like it a lot, the screen is a little too big for easy one-handed use, and I have pretty big hands. I always thought that in terms of size, the original Moto Atrix was the most comfortable phone I ever used (including iPhones), and that was a 4" screen.

mattoaks says:

If you want a bigger screen, get a tablet. There's no need for a huge screen on a phone. It's meant to be used by one hand.

frost.g says:

What I like most is the Facebook contact integration we have all been waiting for. However, this does not change the fact that ta small screen means harder to manage and edit contacts (a small nuisance for some and huge for others like my husband who is legally blind).

I have been managing his iphone contacts directly from our desktop computer using this:

However, a slightly bigger iPhone screen would not help immensely, you know.

StuartV says:

Facebook contact integration? My very first Android phone (1 1/2 years ago) had that - as they all have since.

Maybe your husband would find the new Samsung Galaxy Note 2 useful? It has a 5.5 inch screen.

pulkit10 says:

That's a weak excuse - not everyone has the same hand size. It's personal preference and fit really. I'm not a big fan of the new 4" iPhone screen (looks a tad bit awkward to me) and neither am I fan of the Note (5.2"? was it?) but I can definitely see why some people would want a bigger screen.

rexxman says:

The ghost of SJ speaking from the other side.
And you are the expert how?

Vanti says:

disappointed...... but congrats to rene for tracking this with accuracy

Mike4391 says:

It's ugly but I'm probably still getting it

Bluecanary says:

The white one is ugly, but that slate metal on the Black one... Pretty nice looking.

Rob White says:

So far... It's not that impressive.

iSRS says:

It might just be the gdgt photos, but what is that "light" to the right of the home button??

mud314 says:

This entire presentation is lacking!

The worst thing that is lacking is innovation. there is absolutely nothing there that is going to make me want to buy this phone. Well, Android here I come. thanks apple for pushing me away. I miss Steve Jobs.

Rowanova says:

No it's not. It's a smart phone. If all you want is a cell phone, you're in the wrong place. Many iPhone users had far higher expectations than what has been announced today.

Now go enjoy your old dumb-cell-phone-only that nobody else cares about.

icehead13 says:

What's is so innovative about putting out a phone every 2 weeks with wack ass apps and crappy keyboards? If you think that anything that Samsung or HTC makes has a better screen,you're just blind or a hater. I dont care what the specs say, those screens look like shit is comparison to iPhone 4s.

Quis89 says:

Wow. Apple has put innovating on hold so they can continue suing the competition.

iGreg01 says:

Did anyone see the email address in the presentation as @iCloud.com???

nbell978 says:

Last I checked, this was ACTUALLY the "thinnest smartphone in the world."

StuartV says:

Apparently, that, and the Motorola RAZR, at 7.1mm, don't count at "smartphones" to Apple.

2oh1 says:

I wonder what sort of dock options there will be for the iPhone 5? I hated Apple's iPhone 4 dock, and I'm not a fan of their all-purpose iPhone dock. I own a Kidigi dock designed for an iPhone 4 with bumper, and it's awesome. I'm really looking forward to getting an iPhone 5, but I'll miss having a nice angled dock to rest my iPhone in on my desk.

iEd says:

iPhone 5 is crazy hot!!!!!

m1hirk says:

Bit of a disappointment.

Rowanova says:

I have to agree with others who have expressed disappointment in today's announcements. I'm still using my VZW iPhone 4, and I'm not feeling at all excited about upgrading to the iPhone 5. Very underwhelming. I hope all of this hits Apple in the sales numbers, both soon and hard. Maybe they will finally get the message.

I'm due for a full upgrade until April 2013, and that means I may as well wait a few more months to see what the next iPhone will be. If it is another underwhelming piece, I'll probably jump to another platform. At this point I'll speak with my wallet by keeping my iPhone 4 a while longer. :-(

pulkit10 says:

Problem is I think that people expected too much. This is normal stuff for Apple, they stick with a core design for at least 2-3 generations (iPods and the iPhone/iPhone 3G/3GS are testament to that fact) so it isn't really all that unexpected. Problem is that back then, these designs were revolutionary and the competition was far behind - that has changed drastically now, the competition has more than just caught up and they are pushing hard by innovating and adding more features. I really think Apple dropped the ball on this one, they could have launched a completely new device and that would have cemented their position for another 2 generations. Instead, they chose their wise old strategy and decided to opt for short term gains (as you'll see when they release the pre-order numbers).

jechkoj says:

That's really a great iPhone!

iRy757 says:

It is, absolutely beautiful. I can't wait to preorder, and then get my hands on it on September 21st. Problem is, our Apple Store is in a mall, so where is the line going to start? Lol. Great job iMore team on all these predictions. This device really is amazing, and coming from an iPhone 4 it's going to be a huge difference. I'm so excited to see how quick the LTE works, and play Order and Chaos on that 4 inch retina display with the power of the A6 chipset. Awesome product Apple, you've done it again.

eric6052 says:

I'm not sure why everyone is so disappointed. What did you expect? This was one of the worst kept secrets in Apple's history so we knew what was coming. Iterative updates are kind of what the industry is doing now. We've gotten to the point where the devices in our pockets are so powerful every additional feature is nice but not revolutionary and our battery tech isn't keeping up either.

iJohan says:

I need to upgrade my iPhone 3G, please give me this iPhone!!!

senshidan says:

Make me a believer!....I would love to win this!....Nothing better than a free device!! :)

FreddyDeuce says:

NEED THIS! I see a lot of hate comments on other sites from non-iphone users. The main thing is usability. I see no need for a 5 inch screen on a phone. Get a tablet if thats what you want. I also think its unrealistic for people to want a completely redesigned phone as well. The OS changes are great but I like the look of the 4/S and 5. Yes the iPhone was behind on a few things, but they are built to last and nearly everyone in my city has one so that has to mean something.

2oh1 says:

I think a lot of people are disappointed because they have silly expectations. If the screen were to get larger than this, it would make the device bigger. I love the small size of the iPhone and think Apple really nailed it with the iPhone 5 screen size. The 16x9 ratio rocks for video. And the tallness of 16.9 rocks for stuff like web and texting since it adds more vertical content. I don't know what kind of design people were hoping for. The iPhone is basically just a screen with a camera and ear-speaker above, and a home button below.

FreddyDeuce says:

Exactly! I think they did great with this one. People forget sometimes lol Cant wait to pre-order. Just need to check with AT&T

KungFuGrip says:

The asinine amount of leaks destroyed this product launch for me... and for many others, I bet. It's not that this isn't a great device in its own right, it's just that we've basically seen it and all of its "new" features since this Spring.

Apple needs to get a better grip on these production-line security issues... it's hurting their product launches. Relatively, of course - this will sell in huge numbers. Wonderful engineering and the polish of iOS aside, the non-revolutionary design, underwhelming new features, and 6-month old leaks of all of the above will have many people looking at other devices... perhaps for the first time in 5-6 years. Especially in the States. We'll see how this does worldwide. The iPhone 4 and earlier segment aline will probably put these numbers in the high tens of millions by Christmas.

I won't bet against Apple or their design/engineering/marketing teams, but... meh.

Jtate300 says:

The thing about apple that has sold me is the reliability of their products, yeah the design didn't change but is that all we care about? What about the hardware side of it? The specs are awesome! I have an iPad as well so if I want a bigger screen, I'll use my iPad.

1877stang says:

I waited 6 extra months to upgrade from my 3GS. I am severely disappointed. I should have gotten the Galaxy S3 when it first came out, instead of stalling.

Bluecanary says:

In 5-6 years, the S8-S9 still won't be as good as the phone Apple's presented today..

.garridarko says:

trolololol oh so thats why the Slll is the only phone to ever overtake the iphone in sales in america?? because its not as good.

MichelleRo says:

Any ideas what time it will be on sale on Friday? I did the pre-sale for the 4 and I want to say that I woke up around 6am eastern to get it... I don't remember though; it seems like it was so long ago *sigh*

Galabad says:

I know people are disappointed about the lack of surprise element from the iPhone release. But you can't expect Apple to continue to suppress all the information about the iPhone when they are planning to rollout the phone worldwide on the same date. Unless Apple create all parts for the devices in their own factories, it is going to be very hard to suppress leaks for them from now on, with such a large following and so many people making money from leaking information about their technologies.

I am pretty excited for the iPhone 5, I think it is one of those devices that is going to feel amazing in hand. No matter how much I read and the number of images I look at, it will be an amazing experience to play with the device and see what it can really do. Not to mention how much this device will integrate with the rest of my techno-system.

ddot196 says:

What a joke. It still amazes me people are so excited about 4 inches. "It still works with one hand" wooooow. It is so revolutionary. Not. In a few years it will get bumped up to 4.3 or so and people will say the same exact thing. It's funny, it really doesn't matter what Apple does people will love it no matter what.

dbeddie15 says:

The best part about this is that it is called the iPhone 5 (NOT iPhone 6). Where are all the dumbasses who were constantly driveling about how "it's technically the 6th version so it absolutely must be called the iPhone 6" blah blah blah. Since you all obviously cared so much about something as trivial as a name, as someone in the majority that doesn't give 2 shits I just want to officially point out that you all were WRONG and now look incredibly stupid for incessantly arguing about it in the comments of numerous posts over the past months.

Rene deserves to write an entire post dedicated to one huge I TOLD YOU SO.