Apple releases software update for Apple TV second and third generations

Apple releases software update for Apple TV second and third generationsApple has been really busy the last few weeks and the Apple TV must have been feeling really left out seeing all Apple’s other iOS devices receiving shiny new upgrades to iOS 6. Thankfully Apple hasn’t been ignoring the Apple TV at all and has now released an update for the Apple TV second and third generations. The new update brings along some nice new features but it is not iOS 6. Instead Apple decided to go with iOS 5.1 but don’t be put off by that, Apple has included a whole host of new features as shown below.

1. Accept invitations for Shared Photo Streams, browse photos and comments, and receive notifications of new content.

2. Send audio content from Apple TV to AirPlay-enabled speakers and devices (including AirPort Express and other Apple TVs). Also includes the ability to require an onscreen code to use AirPlay with your Apple TV.

3. Save multiple iTunes accounts and switch quickly between them.

4. Search movie trailers. In the United States, see show times for local theaters.

5. New Cascade, Shrinking Tiles, and Sliding Panels screen savers.

6. Reorder icons on the second page by holding down the select button on the remote.

7. SDH support for the deaf and hard-of-hearing as well as improvements to viewing and selecting subtitles.

8. Support for setting up advanced network options using configuration profiles.

9. Includes general performance and stability improvements.

So next time you fire up your Apple TV second or third generation you should see an option to upgrade to iOS 5.1. Of course if you have your Apple TV jailbroken, give this one a miss for now until we hear that it can be jailbroken again.

Source: Apple

chrisoldroyd

UK editor at iMore, mobile technology lover and air conditioning design engineer.

Weather 2x for iPhone and iPad review

How's your battery life on iOS 6 and iPhone 5?

Sofiaxis says:

I get paid over $87 per hour working from home with 2 kids at home. I never thought I'd be able to do it but my best friend earns over 10k a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The potential with this is endless. Heres what I've been doing, Blue31.c om

Ciberjesus8 says:

Hi what is it that You are doing? What is blue31.com , i really would like to know About it

brengla says:

I really wish they would stop the whole US only on their trailers apps. Flixster and IMDB have UK showtimes so that information is available outwith the Cinemas own apps.

Also, still no ability to watch non-HD trailers. Shame - I have a 1.4Mbps internet connection :-(

paulthefencer says:

I completely agree with you. If I'm lucky I get between .95 and .97 Mbps download. It's my internet provider and I'm on DSL, so sucks for me. But I agree, when I watch a 30 second trailer from the Apple TV, it's takes about 4 minutes to buffer then watch. It's not Apple's fault, you understand, it's my provider. But that's the best I can get in my area. So a non HD trailer version would be so appreciated. Same as the YouTube app on the Apple TV.

johnnygoodface says:

Just updated apple tv with ios 5.1 and contrary to what they say airplay TO external speakers FROM the AppleTV doesn't work: I've tried with 3 devices (apple tv, imac and my airport express) but NO SOUND!!!! Also, the Apple TV DO list all my Airplay devices fine, and selecting one of them will check mark it fine, but NO sound will even come out of the AppleTV to any speakers

dloveprod says:

It needs a little App Store like the Xbox 360.

bergman says:

Simple and flawless upgrade process. I love the ability to send AppleTV audio via AirPlay to my AirportExpress. It works perfectly with no set-up issues. Now I can use the "radio" function without having the TV turned on and I can unplug a long pair of shielded cables that run to my sound system.

mfm77 says:

I wish Apple would include support for WPA2-Enterprise networks so that more schools (including mine) could use it flawlessly in the classrooms.

Faloopa says:

I notice that now you can rearrange the podcasts the same way you can rearrange the lower half of the home screen. The problem is that, previously, they were sorted with most-recently updated at the top. I don't see where that's an option any longer. You still get badges, but no sorting by update.

paulthefencer says:

Maybe I'm an idiot, but since the firmware update on the Apple TV, I can't shut it off as easily. T'was a time when you would just hold the select button down for a few seconds and the Apple TV would shut off. That doesn't work now. I have to go into settings and force in to sleep. A bit of a hassle. If there's a way to shut it down that's quicker that I'm not aware of, I'd like to know.