Jasmine YouTube client updated with new features but loses a few too
Since Apple removed the stock YouTube app in iOS 6 many users have flocked to the hugely popular third party YouTube app Jasmine for their YouTube fix. Jasmine has just received an update today which adds in some nice new features but unfortunately, Google / YouTube have insisted that some features be taken away too.
Google has insisted that the developers remove the following from the Jasmine app:-
- Removed Automatic "Background Audio" playback. Native to iOS, this can still be invoked manually by double-tapping the home button, swiping right and hitting play
- Removed customisable skip/rewind controls
- Switched to YouTube compliant playback (adds 1-2 seconds to video load times and limits refinement around playlist auto-queuing)
To offset the disappointment of losing these features, Jasmine has got some shiny new features to enjoy so it is not all bad news:-
- Drastic improvements to available videos
- Added "Preferred Quality" selection to Playback Settings
- Added "Watch Later" list in Playlists section
- Added timestamp to videos
- Fixed: Missing videos from playlists
- Removed: "Always Ask" option for feed quality (use "Preferred Quality" instead in Playback Settings)
I hope that some of the positive changes here will help to alleviate the negative. I'm more disappointed than anybody else at the removal of some of these conveniences, but I'm not discouraged. There is still a lot to be done, and so much that will be improved.
Free Download Now
It is always disappointing when an app update takes away feature so if you use the removed features think carefully before updating the app. Of course by not updating you do run the risk of the app not working in the future as well as missing out on new features when they are added.
Have something to say about this story? Share your comments below! Need help with something else? Submit your question!