In the recent wake of Instagram's policy changes, many iPhone and iPad users are left with the decision of keeping their accounts or deleting them and migrating to something else. As long as you do so before January 16th, Instagram can't use or sell any of your information.
If you decide you want to delete your Instagram profile, you'll probably want all of your photos in a safe place before doing so. Not sure how to do that? Follow along and we'll walk you through saving all your Instagram photos and finally, deleting your account.
How to download and save all your photos from your Instagram account
For this, we are using a service called Instaport. You may, of course, utilize one of the other services available that do the same kind of thing. We've just had good experiences with Instaport in the past.
- Open a browser from your computer and go to instaport.me.
- Under the Connect your account section, click on the button that says Sign in with Instagram.
- Enter your Instagram credentials and then click on the Log In button.
- Next you'll be asked to authorize Instaport to access your Instagram data. Click on the Authorize button.
- You'll be redirected back to the Instaport site. Here you can see your username and what kind of export service you'd like. For now, you can only choose a .zip file.
- Under the Advanced Options menu you can specify more detailed options if you'd like.
- Now click on the Start Export button.
- It may take a while but Instaport will start exporting your images.
- Once it's done you'll see the message above with a link to download your photos.
- Click on the Download your photos link at the top and a zip file will be downloaded to your computer.
- Once it's complete, find it on your computer and double click it to unzip it or use a zip program of your choice.
- Double click on the folder and all your Instagram images should be safe and sound!
Instaport has plans to allow you to automatically upload to services such as Facebook, Flickr, and RSS but that service isn't available just yet. At least for now, you've got all your Instagram images ready to go for upload or just for safe-keeping.
How to delete your Instagram account
Instagram allows you to quickly delete your account but be advised that your photos and all your content will be gone and will not be accessible anymore. So make sure you've backed up anything you need to before continuing on. You also won't be able to use the same username if you ever decide you'd like to sign up for Instagram again in the future.
- Open a browser window on your computer and go to instagram.com.
- Towards the bottom of the page, click on the Your Account link.
- Enter your Instagram username and password and then click Log In.
- If Instagram doesn't automatically take you to the edit profile screen, click on your name in the upper right hand corner and choose the Edit Profile option.
- In the bottom right hand corner, there is an option to delete your account. Click on I'd like to delete my account.
- Instagram will now ask you why you'd like to delete your account. Fill out the information you'd like to.
- Once you're done, click on Permanently deactivate my account.
- You'll see a confirmation that your account has been deleted. That's all there is to it.