iPhone users pay higher cell phone bills than any other smartphone user

iPhone users the biggest cash cows for carriers

iPhone users pay more in carrier fees on average than the users of other smartphones. New data indicates that 60% of iPhone users spend at least $100 per month on their cellular plan, with 10% spending $200 or more. Conversely, only 53% of Android users pay over $100 per month, with 7% paying $200 or more. Consumer Intelligence Research Partners (CIRP), the company that provided the data, says that this spending has little to do with usage habits, according to the Wall Street Journal:

“We think it has to do with their data plans and carriers, rather than their usage habits,” CIRP co-founder Michael Levin explained. “They are all on expensive data plans, unlike Android users, some of which are on prepaid or unsubsidized plans with regional carriers.”

This is not really surprising. Verizon and AT&T, the two largest wireless providers in the United States, also charge their customers the most. Plans on Verizon start at $100 per month, with $40 for line access, and $60 for 2 GB of data. By comparison, they charge $10 per month for tablet access. AT&T starts individual customers at $60 per month, with $40 for 450 minutes, $20 for 300 MB of data, and no included text messaging.

What is your wireless plan like? Have you found ways of saving money on these plans? Let us know below in the comments.

Source: Wall Street Journal

Joseph Keller

Joseph Keller is a news reporter for iMore. He's also chilling out and having a sandwich.

App Store brought in 3.5 times more revenue than Google Play in 2012

US authorities can access foreign users' iCloud data without their consent

Premium1 says:

I fail to see how on the carriers the phone you use makes any difference in the price of the plans? I have had the same plan and prices for as long as I can remember and that included using bb's, android's and iphones. There isn't really much to save unless you go prepaid and with even the iphone now on that I think iphone monthly prices will decrease as well.

iDonev says:

Those plans make me weep... I pay roughly $7 per month out of contract for unlimited data. Then again I'm not in the US.

infty says:

Where are you? Also, do you have LTE?

GlennRuss says:

On Verizon with a free flip phone, no data plan, I was paying $140.00 a month. I use the phone as my basic phone a lot. They did not have iPhones, so they claimed, this durning the 4S time. Went to AT&T, they had plenty, got a 4S data plan, and pay $95.00 a month. I was dumb, and screwed by Verizon.

GlennRuss says:

Oh yea, I have roll over min, and unlimited text, and $20 for 2G of data. Must have been a deal month.

bobo93 says:

Thank God here in Italy major wireless providers (Vodafone, TIM and 3) have much lower prices.
I got an unlocked iPhone 5 and with Vodafone I pay 15€ per month (25 with LTE) with unlimited text, 1GB of data and free calls to another Vodafone subscriber.
However, I'm planning to move to 3 and I'd pay 5€ a month with 3GB of data (LTE plans are not available yet, but they will in some weeks) and I'll use Whatsapp and Viber for texting and phone calls.

Jeremy Jimenez says:

yea i disagree...i have 2 iphone5's with sprint and i pay $140/month for both of them this is including unlimited data/voice and 4G LTE the only minutes i have is for landlines

Mtn_Scott says:

"But just because the carriers are charging more for these smartphones doesn’t necessarily mean that they are making more money, as the iPhone has higher subsidies than other phones in its class. Carriers use the more expensive plans to make back more of their money faster than they used to."
So Android users are subsidizing Apple users?

OrionAntares says:

That's pretty much what I got from that statement.

Didier Cardena says:

78 /month , sprint , unlimited LTE. Sweet Deal

IcantCanything says:

59 after taxes with Verizon iPhone 5. No texting plan, 450 min. Unlimited data. 20% company discount.

dxstewart says:

When I switched to an iPhone, my bill went up because of that phone. When I lost it and went back to my Blackberry, that extra "iPhone Fee" went away. Reading about these high bills makes me incredibly thankful for my low bill.

RWWackostu says:

Sprint Unlimited Family! 129.99 plus tax. 2 iphones.

acwyau says:

$62 + tax with Rogers in Canada. Unlimited talk/text with 6GB LTE data. I can't complain, it's a pretty great deal.

OrionAntares says:

VZW grandfathered family plan. 5 phones with 1400 minutes, 10 F&F numbers, unlimited text and data on all lines for $240 a month. I will fight tooth and nail if they attempt to take it away!

threepio says:

Just checked my last Verizon bill. $213.28. Three iPhone 5's with grandfathered unlimited data, on a 700 minute plan, with unlimited texting. I think two of the iPhone's have the $10 insurance on them.

Ipheuria says:

Wow those prices make me weep. This is why I have never bought an iPhone on contract. My factory unlocked phone means I can go anywhere I want so I don't have to take the carrier's crap and not being on contract means I only pay for data plans when I want. I have never had a data plan for 5 years now and now I'm paying $20/month for the line and $20 for 2GB of data. altogether around $50/month with 2GB of data.