Evasi0n will be the first untethered iOS 6.1 jailbreak, all signs again point to this Sunday

Evasi0n [jailbreak](http://www.imore.com/jailbreak) will be the first untethered iOS 6.1 jailbreak, all signs again point to this SundayIt finally has an official name, the new jailbreak for iOS 6.1 will be called the Evasi0n jailbreak and again all signs point to it arriving this Sunday. The team which goes by the name of Evad3rs announced via twitter that its site is now live and it is putting the final touches to the jailbreak’s GUI (Graphical User Interface).

The official evasi0n 6.1 jailbreak: http://evasi0n.com -- Check regularly for updates! #evasi0n

The new jailbreak release date was originally teased as being on Super Bowl Sunday which is this Sunday. The images displayed on the Evasi0n site all show the number 3 on the calendar app which just happens to line up nicely with this Sunday’s date of February 3.

The jailbreak will require no more than five minutes of your time and will need to be done by tethering your device to a Mac or PC for one time only. Your device will need to be running a minimum of iOS 6.0. The Evasi0n jailbreak will cover all iPhone, iPod touch, iPad and iPad mini models. As usual, as soon as this is live, we will have a full how-to covering the new jailbreak.

So who is getting excited for Sunday now?

Source: Evasi0n

chrisoldroyd

UK editor at iMore, mobile technology lover and air conditioning design engineer.

Honda to add Siri Eyes Free to Accord, Acura RDX and ILX

Deal of the Day: 31% off Incipio Lexington Hard Shell Folio Case for iPad mini

xvenom says:

You're pretty darn late announcing this, Chris.

chrisoldroyd says:

Really? The site was only announced by the Evad3r team a few hours before my post.

Ziltoid says:

Awesome! Can't wait! I've purchased quite a few apps from Cydia. Hope they will be updated to iOS 6+

c_man says:

Excuse my somewhat noob post - I've only ever JailBroken once [that is on my current 4S] so maybe I'm asking a silly question.

I'm still running iOS5.0.1 on my 4S which was JB'd with Absinthe/greenpois0n pretty much soon after it was announced.

Will there be direct 'upgrade' route to evasi0n/6.1 or...
...will I have to un-JB my 5.0.1 [somehow] and then officially upgrade to 6.1 via Apple [OTA or iTunes] and THEN JB 6.1 with evasi0n? With this method I guess I lose everything I currently have set up along with tweaks, etc. So it'd be much preferable to avoid that and jump to 6.1 JB - not sure if this is possible though?

Hope someone can please advise!

rpun13 says:

-Back up your cydia apps (I use xBackup)
-Back up your phone in iTunes
-upgrade to 6.01 via iTunes (NOT OTA) and sync your phone again with the backup you just did.
-After that you can use the new jailbreak software when released to install the new jailbreak.

c_man says:

Thanks for the reply, rpun13.

1] Will I be able to upgrade from JB 5.0.1 to un-JB6.01 without issues? I didn't realise that was possible. I guess it will break the JB - any issues with that?

2] I understand I will be able to use the new software (when released) to JB - do I then use xBackup to restore my Cydia tweaks?

3] Finally, you mentioned I should back up my phone in iTunes before beginning. Is this backup ever used in the 5.01 to 6.01 process? I'm wondering how SMS and app settings will be restored...

Thanks for your help!

rpun13 says:

1) No you cant just upgrade a jailbreak because you need to update to ios 6 which will automaitcally remove cydia (which is pretty much the jailbreak) You need to back up everything, upgrade to 6.01, then jailbreak again to get cydia back.
2) Yes after you jailbreak again, install xbackup again in cydia and you can restore the cydia apps you backed up.
3)Yes this is the backup of all your general apps and data that you want to bring over to ios 6. For the regular apps most settings should be the same, for the jailbreak apps it only works sometimes depending on the app after your restore using xbackup.

claustin says:

Just to clarify what rpun is telling you (if you still need it) after you back everything up, you do a restore via iTunes to 6.1, which will remove your jailbreak and put you on bone stock iOS 6.1. Then restore from your iTunes backup. Then Jailbreak using Evasi0n, then download xbackup and restore cydia apps. You can't upgrade straight from jailbroken 5.x to jailbroken 6.x because you can't install a prejailbroken version of iOS 6. Also make sure when you're initially running your "legit" (not xbackup) backup that you are backing up to iTunes and not to iCloud. Restoring from iCloud takes FOREVER.

Brant Street says:

rpun Im curious I just upgraded and re-JB my 4s today. everything was fine until i used xbackup to restore my JB apps. now i continue to get pushed into safemode. im slowly removing JB Apps that may be causing this but so far no luck and this is becoming a VERY LONG process that i did not want hence the reason for purchasing Xbackup. did you have this problem? if so what app(s) were causing the problem for you?

KCMike says:

Is there a link to the site or software (where it'll be posted)?

woody88 says:

did you read the story at all?

KCMike says:

It was a joke. This is the same question I see over & over on the forums regarding JB.

RWWackostu says:

When I was on BB, I was installing every btra/hybred/new OS there was. However I have never done this for my Iphone. What functionality will I gain by doing this? Will I still be able to use the app store, or will I have to use an alternate?

Ziltoid says:

Theres a ton of apps to customize certain features on the iphone. Too many to list. You can still use the App Store and it will also include Cydia, which is another app store with jailbreak apps

RWWackostu says:

Does it unlock any "hidden" parts of the chipsets of any functionality that were locked down by Apple? Will my iPhone work better, or can I just make it look better.

claustin says:

It will give you access to a lot of tweaks, from theming, which I'm sure you're familiar with coming from BB, to functionality tweaks like settings toggles in notification center among other things. One of my favorite tweaks is BossPaper, which allows you to set up wallpaper "slideshow" functionality, where it automatically changes your wallpaper at a set interval. It hasn't been updated in forever though so hopefully it will still work on iOS6. If you want to know what else you can do, just go through articles on this site. They report on all the cool jailbreak apps and tweaks.

EDIT: Sorry. Forgot which site I was on. Go to modmyi.com to get reviews on cool jailbreak tweaks.

Ziltoid says:

Kla21ax says:

The Jailbreak is already out now on the 31th of January... They set up another download page where you can download it now... www.evasi0nbreak.blogspot.com ... strange but nice :D

Fofer says:

Nice try, that is a FAKE site, with no downloads, no jailbreak, just ads and probably malware! Get lost!

rockerchick says:

This asks you to do survey's in order to get anything. I think this is not the real site!

tlo07 says:

I hope to God this is coming out on Sunday FOR REALZ! I've had a cr@ppy, miserable week and I need something to make it better!

025899 says:

OOPS, it went from touching up the GUI to....

68%: Applications for Windows and OS X are finished. Remains linux and some testing. Come back soon!
Next step: private beta testing

Clawn34 says:

pod2g posted official the jailbreak link (http://goo.gl/PhvgW)

gogolio321 says:

I have tethered jailbrake on ios 6.0.1 iphone 4,how should i preforme this jaibrake any advice...

mrkilltrocity says:

update to 6.1 through apple and jailbreak but update first and do a back up

claustin says:

you'll probably want to run backups and do a clean restore to 6.1 and then rejailbreak when Evasi0n is released.

kmichalec says:

It's almost like that feeling that you get when you go into the dealership, and you have agreed on everything, and they tell you to come back later in the day with your check while they prep your car. You spend the rest of the day knowing you have a car, and it's good, but the excitement that you're going to get a new, better car later today is euphoric. It's that kind of feeling...

Oh, BiteSMS & LockInfo, how I've missed you so....

quicksilver53 says:

Thanks for that Claustin. I was just about to update my iPod 5 to the latest software. I will be happy when sunday arrives. I thought it might be forever before a JB became available for my iPod.

Andy McGee says:

Different iOS 6.1 untethered jailbreak is arriving from Evad3rs Fan Club supported all iPhone / iPad Models. The good news is, the brand new team, which consists of well-known hackers MuscleNerd, pod2g, planetbeing and pimskeks, are planning to discharge evasi0n to the general public this Sunday, February 3rd, 2013. When Evasi0n is revealed, all iOS-based tools will be able to download mirror http://www.evasi0ndownload.com

Katmassive says: