Apple releases iOS 6.1.1 for iPhone 4S, addresses cellular problems

Apple releases iOS 6.1.1 for iPhone 4S, addresses cellular problems

Apple has released iOS 6.1.1 but only for the iPhone 4S, at least for now. The update comes amid reports of cellular data issues preventing proper use of the device, originally released in 2011. Apple's release notes include mention of just specifically that:

This update fixes an issue that could impact cellular performance and reliability for iPhone 4S.

The update is available over-the-air (OTA) via Settings > General > Software update, or through iTunes via USB tether.

No word yet on a release of iOS 6.1.1 for other versions of the iPhone, or for the iPod touch or iPad and iPad mini. Apple did issue it in beta form recently, but likely expedited a limited version to fix the iPhone 4S-specific problems as quickly as possible. Whether that means the other versions are coming, or the next beta will be filliped to iOS 6.1.2 and proceed according to their original schedule is unknown.

If you've been experiencing cellular data problems with the iPhone 4S, once you've updated, let us know if they're really, truly fixed.

Comparing iPhone Twitter app timeline views

Karateka goes on sale for Valentine's Day, get it now for only $0.99

Rene Ritchie says:

And obviously, if you're jailbroken, you'll lose that if you update. So weigh data fix against jailbreak and decide if you can wait.

maxy67usa says:

Are you tired of going office daily? Earn 60$ per hour working from home with Google! I've made $64,000 so far this year working online and I'm a full time student. Im using an online business opportunity I heard about and I've made such great money. It's really user friendly and I'm just so happy that I found out about it. Here is what I do,
(Click on Home for details)

Damien D says:

well i might wait on this since it loads verifies then shows apple logo and the progress bar is moving slow as snails pace to install 23 meg file. yikes lets hope it fixes my batt issues.

Jay Mobile says:

hmm I have never had any data issues with my 4s, not to mention I don't want to lose my JB I wish apple would allow simple tweaks in the App Store. Things like iProtect, or infinifolder (this should be an option in settings) I don't see the reason things like this are left out. No matter how you look at it the bulk of the profits made from these things go to Apple regardless. Then again maybe its just me .....

rewNATION says:

from everything i've read it looks like this is mainly for some european carriers that had connectivity difficulties

jawe347 says:

I actually had to reset my phone and mothers iPhone 5 (both on Sprint). The phones would not initiate a data call at all despite having 5 bars in the indicator.

Jfountai says:

I was going to jailbreak my iphone 4s tonight! can i still do that? can 6.1.1 be jailbroken? I'm assuming it can.

tfa225 says:

Comex retweeted this earlier from Planetbeing:
@planetbeing
Apple released 6.1.1 for the 4S only today. The JB still works fine. We will release an updated evasi0n that recognizes it as supported

I still haven't JB'd 6.1 yet...

ame says:

I am gonna try it tonight, but not OTA. I have restored twice since 6.1 and I lose signal like CRAZY. More than I did already.

Damien D says:

yes it works and yes 6.1.1 is jailbreakable evasi0n is updating there hack very soon.

Gsarfin says:

It fixed my issue with text messages in 6.1... My phone would vibrate, but I wouldn't get the message for a few more min. Now with 6.1.1 it's fixed. Phone vibrates and text appears and notifies as it should. 4S on AT&T

luiggimaster says:

This sucks.. They should have fixed those issues before releasing 6.1, I don't want to lose my jailbreak just for that!.. I haven't had any data problems with my 4S on AT&T (iOS 6.1)

9thWonder says:

I lose signal on my 4s ALL the time so i hope this helps. it simply drops to that "zero" symbol. It's really annoying.

x1sspic says:

Does anyone know if this fixes the background audio bug reported when upgrading from 6.0 to 6.1? I use this feature a lot, so am holding off on upgrading.

bvonscott says:

Hey Rene, ever since I updated my iphone 5 on ATT to 6.1 i have had major issues with data connectivity over LTE. I'll lose it for about 5 min or more at a time. This is for what apps ive used.. safari, maps, and facebook. Facebook crashes constantly now too. Just an FYI