Apple makes MacBook Pro with Retina display faster and more affordable

Apple has just announced some changes to their industry-leading Mac Book Pro with Retina display lineup, including a new, lower starting price, and updated processors. According to Apple:

Apple is making the MacBook Pro with Retina display faster and more affordable with updated processors and lower starting prices. The 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display now starts at $1,499 for 128GB of flash, and $1,699 for a new 2.6 GHz processor and 256GB of flash. The 15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display now features a faster 2.4 GHz quad-core processor, and the top-of-the-line 15-inch notebook comes with a new 2.7 GHz quad-core processor and 16GB of memory. Apple today also announced that the 13-inch MacBook Air® with 256GB of flash has a new lower price of $1,399.

I've been using the 15-inch Retina MacBook Pro since it was announced at WWDC 2012 last year, and it's the best computer I've ever used. It's so good I barely go near my Mac Pro anymore, and my MacBook Air has been retired. The only exception is the Intel HD GPU, which is redlined by Retina, but hopefully that gets solved in future generations.

At a lower starting price and with faster CPU options, it sounds even better. Anyone hitting the order button?

Source: Apple

U.S. State of the Union highlights Apple manufacturing coming back to America

PinYinPal makes learning Mandarin fun for kids

tqmcguire says:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I can tell the 13-inch MacBook Pro and MacBook Pro with Retina Display equipped with the same 2.5GHz CPU, 8GB RAM and 256GB SSD are now both $1,699. So you choose whether you want a thicker machine with a DVD drive or thinner one with a Retina display?

Expee says:

I'm gonna wait for the Haswell upgrade.

thoughthalo says:

Couldn't agree with you more.

Dark_Blu says:

I'll be waiting longer than that. My current Old School non-retina MBP still gets the job done for me.

pappy53 says:

I know that they are probably good laptops, but are ridiculously overpriced.

williamsbh76 says:

For me the price was tough to swallow even buying a used on but so worth it in the end. I have 4 laptops at home including a newer and loaded HP and my Macbook Pro is the only one that gives us no issues. You definitely get what you pay for.

sting7k says:

For that price it should have discrete graphics.

Rene Ritchie says:

The 15-inch has discreet graphics, but the display runs off the embedded graphics, hence the redline...

joeeeeeee1234 says:

so does that mean when i'm playing a game like border lands or GTA its using the intel hd graphics?

kingweb says:

Unless it is a misprint, the L3 Cache is lowered to 6mb on i7 2.7GHZ CPU for the Retina MBP. It used to be 8mb. Now the new i7 2.8ghz shows 8mb L3 Cache.

Well anyway, I guess I got lucky. I had an order in for the 2.6, and they upgraded it to the 2.7 and lowered the price by about $30.

Nicholas Lentsch says:

this kinda bugs me. i bought the $2,800 one when it first came out. and they should have included the 16GB of ram.

CORYK333 says:

No they shouldn't have, just sucks for you

Expee says:

Why? If 8Gigs was not enough for you then why did u buy it in the first place? And then the next question is: are you really the sort of power user to actually take advantage of 16 Gigs of RAM? I for one hardly use my 8 Gigs.

GlennRuss says:

I got the 2012 MacBook Pro 13 inch non retina, because I really wanted a cd drive. It does the job, and yes it is pricy compared to regular pc's but so worth it in the long run. I am into music, hence the need for the drive. If I want to watch HD movies, I use the new iPad(3). Until the MacBook Pro is no longer supported with updates, I will keep it. Should have gone Mac a long time ago.

Hail Caesar says:

Get while the getting is good, this is a great deal on a Mac.

EggTarts says:

The new (updated) mbp retina 13 can't upgrade to 16gb ram????!!!!

mazumamobile says:

Excellent Post - Sell your Apple Macbook for Cash UK to www.cashyourgadgets.co.uk - Check their offers out, they are really good!

PassOutPete says:

I'm currently rocking a late 2011 11"MacBook Air. But now that the Retina Pro's have come out, not really caring that I'm still paying this computer off, I want one!!! (so so bad)

GREAT article! Highlighted a lot of pro's for me! (pun intended)

bussey87 says:

Just bought my first MBA, kinda wish I would have waited for this.

Rick Thomson says:

GREAT article! Sell your Apple Macbook pro for Cash now at https://buymygadgets.co.uk. Check them out now.

rizaldi w says:

macbook pro retina leads the other laptops vendor to create their own "retina display" on their laptops