iPhone 5 vs. HTC One vs. LG Nexus 4 vs. BlackBerry Z10 vs. Nokia Lumia 920: Spec showdown!

The iPhone 5 launched back in September 2012 and in smartphones, half a year can be a long time. Since then we've seen the Google LG Nexus 4 launch, the Nokia Lumia 920 hit, the BlackBerry Z10 start to roll out internationally, and now the new king of the spec sheet, the announcement of the all-new HTC One.

One look at the spec showdown above should tell you the most important thing you need to know -- we're lucky enough to live in a time when every platform has a fantastic flagship phone. If not more than one. And that's good for all of us.

The second, more unbelievable thing is that the HTC One vs. iPhone 5 vs. Google LG Nexus 4 vs. BlackBerry Z10 vs. Nokia Lumia 920 specs show us we still haven't reached a plateaux. HTC has a 1080p at 468ppi and a camera that's getting it's priorities straight, putting pixel size over pixel count, something dedicated camera manufacturers figured out years ago.

And 2013 is just getting started! We still have the Samsung Galaxy S4, the BlackBerry Q10, whatever else Nokia is cooking up, and the iPhone 5s, or whatever Apple calls their next phone, to look forward to.

It's a great, great time to be a gadget lover, but for today, it's a great time to give HTC some kudos for once again raising the already ridiculously high bar being set for smart phones.

evasi0n now updated with full jailbreak support for iOS 6.1.2

Wave Timer for iPhone review

rmkilc says:

The Nexus 4 has GLONASS. Please correct.

rmkilc says:

The Nexus 4 has Miracast. Please correct.

rmkilc says:

The Nexus 4 has a f2.4, BSI rear camera. Please correct.

wormeyman says:

Why not just say that the HTC One runs Android 4.1 otherwise you would have to say the nexus 4 runs 4.2.x and the iPhone 5 runs 6.1.x ? Also doesn't windows phone have subversion's I'm not sure?

snookasnoo says:

The iPhone 5 also does TV out thru a lightning cable/hdmi adapter not just airplay. Who put this chart together?

Hail Caesar says:

All of them seem to be very beastly!! I will stick with my iPhone 5 though.

Eddster says:

Damn seeing this chart does shine a light on where the iPhone 5 is lacking in specs. I guess it really is all about the user experience though. I've owned a Nexus 4 and a Note 2 but still came back to my iPhone.

Rene Ritchie says:

1) Thanks for the corrections, we're updating. 2) Don't be dicks about the corrections, we're updating :)

We just use the specs as they're listed. Android 4.2 is Jellybean, which means a lot more than iOS 6.1. We don't judge.

rmkilc says:

Not to be too nit-picky, but the GHz and number of cores on the Nexus 4 also isn't mentioned like it is on the rest.

rmkilc says:

Rene, thanks for correcting the errors. If you were referring to me as a "dick", that was not my intention at all. I want to see correct and accurate information posted, rather than "downplaying" certain devices by leaving out some of their specs.

Rene Ritchie says:

Nothing gets intentionally downplayed. Every device is based on the specs reported, and each site verifies their device before we post. AC for Android, CB for BlackBerry, etc.

Rene Ritchie says:

No, I wasn't referring to you. Both here and on AC, you were/are awesome. I deleted the more dick-ish comments :)

wormeyman says:

Sorry if i came across as rude as well!

Aenean144 says:

The fact that this post has less than 20 comments should be indicative of where we in the smartphone business right now. 3 years ago, a spec comparison post would have gotten 200 comments by now. The specs really don't matter that much anymore or iMore fans are numb to them.

jkomo001 says:

I didn't see anything that impressive about the One (scratch that- anything that was much more impressive if any better than other phones) until I saw the battery. Because I was thinking Z10 was just as good- minus front video capabilities, but Z10 with a better rear camera...but then I saw that 2300 battery and that blows out the Z10 which has had complaints about battery life. I love the world we live in with all these great new devices coming out so soon!

Travis Graves says:

lmao u honestly think the z10 camera will come even close to the ONE? ive yet to see a camera better than my old ONE S (iphone 5 nexus 4 gs3 note 2 ) from my personal hands on experience do not compare so i would imagine the ONE would be even better

Trappiste says:

L920 Puremotion-capable display is certainly a spec tidbit worth mentioning. That said, what the chart demonstrates is that the raw specs are no longer interesting, as they reveal little about the actual user experience and phone quality. Some OS's are more hardware efficient than others, for instance. And while my iPhone 5 struggles with WiFi, as all iPhones do, my previous Lumia 900 sported excellent WiFi signal sensitivity as per Nokia tradition. No spec sheet will tell one this either.

lean6rtj2 says:

...and then you have the user experience that blows all of the specs out of the water...makes you lose track of what's inside the device. For me, that's the Note 2.

return_0 says:

Ugh. No thanks, don't like TouchWiz at all. If you want to talk user experience, let me tell you about the Nexus 4.

Makai5 says:

I have owned almost every phone there is, that I can get on AT&T. Galaxy s2-s3,note,nexus 4,HTC one x, and more but I always come back to the iPhone. Yes some things lack on iPhone. But as far as go specs how many cores and MPS do we need until it really does not matter anymore.

Travis Graves says:

same here except im always going back to htc for some reason ...just easy to use for me and the cameras untouchable

Phrozty says:

"The iPhone 5 launched back in September 2012 and in smartphones, half a year can be a long time."

iPhone 5 - Sept 21 2012
Nexus 4 - Nov 13 2012
Nokia 920 - Oct 30 2012
BB Z10 - Jan 31 2013
HTC One - TBA

Please tell me again about how much of a disadvantage that 1-3 month "half a year" difference is. /WillyWonka

Just because Apple makes a habit of releasing 2-5 year old technology and is still ridiculously popular doesn't mean consumers should be ok with it.

fightcrazy says:

I think 75% of all iphone users have used nothing but an iphone. I firmly believe if any of those 75% iphone users tried a top of the line Android device running Jellybean they would never go back to IOS. The multi tasking alone is enough to keep the Android machine not to mention the endless possibilities that are capable on Android. The new Jellybean OS is as smooth as butter and twice as fast. Android hardware is just sick, sick ,sick. I am very interested in the new SGS4 coming out very soon, this new phone should have some great innovations that keep pushing boundries. Just My Opinion with much respect.

Hturt Seaker says:

"The new Jellybean OS is as smooth as butter and twice as fast."

Butter is part of Jellybean ;) (See project Butter).

Travis Graves says:

yeah just got nexus 4 and it is by far the fastest thing i ever used

rizaldi w says:

dual core in android after some times operation can lead to not very responsive and be lagging OS. but dual core in iphone is really smooth, BB Z10 is smooth too. single core in iPhone 4 for operating iOS 6 is still good i think.
windows phone's GUI is really really simple, single core for WP is enough -_-

farairo80 says:

I always had IPhone ....and I really can't care much about their phones listed above..Iphone has got everything i Need except for battery life which I heard they have significantly improved in IPhone 5
Once your iPhone fan ...u remain so for a long time ..I'm not too sure about other mobiles