Apple airs new, iPad-like Discover and Brilliant ads for iPhone 5

Apple has brought their recent, gleeful, iPad ads to the iPhone 5s with two new spots called Discover and Brilliant. Just like the iPad ads, the new iPhone ads feature a series of rapid-fire words, culminating on a focus word, which then triggers a series of app demos relating to different meanings of that word.

Discover starts with rock, and shows off rock music being played on GarageBand, minerals being explored, rocking chairs being shopped for, and Alcatraz -- the Rock -- being looked at on Apple Maps. Sharp shows a sword slice in Infinity Blade, a sharp-looking tuxedo in a catalog, a sharply detailed photo being zoomed in on, and C# being tuned on a guitar. Discover shows the universe, a dinosaur, augmented reality on Yelp, and Shazam identifying a song.

Brilliant starts off with sweet, and shows a fruity dessert, a heartfelt sentiment in card-form, a touching moment from Pixar's Up, and a sweet skateboard trick. Rise shows a sunrise, a Starbucks payment via Passbook, energy efficiency in the face of rising costs, and a remote-controlled helicopter rising up from behind the iPhone. Brilliant shows Albert Einstein in an iBook, solving a virtual Rubik's Cube, solving math with MyScript Calculator, and changing the color and intensity of a Hue lightbulb.

While some people have been critical of this series of commercials, I still think they both retain Apple's traditional app-centric iOS marketing theme, while adding some of the lighter, faster fun that's traditionally been reserved for iPod advertising.

They may not be pitch perfect, but they strike me as more Apple than the previous spate of celebrity Siri spots. How are you liking them in general, and more specifically, how do you like them for the iPhone?

The 'iPhone 5S' problem

Applauze for iPhone helps you discover the best events around you

svfd757 says:

Those are pretty good. But Samsung is killing everyone with their ads. I almost want to try Unicorn Apocalypse just because of their ads

kitesurfjerry says:

That's no iPhone 5s???? Check your article. And you also posted the same ad on both videos

Enzo83 says:

I've always loved the classic Apple Logo. It's just so retro. With that being said, they should start going back to doing their famous classic ads, but put a more modern twist on things. Maybe Apple and Samsung. But I don't know about that....Samsung shouldn't receive attention. But these commercials are kind of plain. Maybe add APPLE or IPHONE or IPAD at the end. If people are in the kitchen and they are hearing the TV, it would give them a more sense of what the heck they are showing with all the words instead of just seeing the Apple Logo with no APPLE being belted out. But again, this may be because they don't want to seem tacky or desperate. But I just can't see a world where people think Samsung phones are great. lol. Sorry. Once Apple brings that bigger phone and better tech...they still will dominate. Commercials or not. ;-)

lbaxter says:

Maybe do an iPhone version of the classic Mac vs PC ads, except have someone standing there looking sharp saying, "I'm an iPhone" and a cheaply made plastic mannequin saying, "and I'm a Samsung." (Even the Android fans know Samsung devices feel cheap in the hand.)

Enzo83 says:

Haha yes! I can totally see that and love it very much so.

josetanks says:

For iDevice users, we will look for the apps showed in the ads;
For non or never used any iDevice users, they'll probably have hard time to get what is being showed.
It's more of telling what apps to use rather than what iPhone is.
Music is fun, apps are great, but shooting people so that they fell on this apple trap like us, maybe hard with this two ads.

infty says:

Is there a place where there is a list of the apps that Apple has used for the iPhone commercials?

smartt3ch says:

I doubt there is. But, I've wondered the same thing. Because some of the apps they feature just look so cool. Maybe watch the commercial over and over until you discover the name...

vianar says:

I have to admit that I am not a fan of these adds. I enjoyed the soft spoken insightful commentator of the previous adds. These are to busy. I understand that they want you to know you can do a lot with the iPhone and iPad but I got that with the other adds too. The previous adds made the iPad unique, refined and very capable. These new adds make the devises seem manic.

thatguykc says:

I'm loving the new Apple ads. It makes me want new iPhones now instead of waiting for the 5S. Our contracts are eligible for updates this fall.
Also, Apple does a great job of highlighting apps I don't always know about and want to try.

MrDJL says:

I really like those ads. They use apps that I would've never thought were available, while showcasing the iPhone 5 and its technology. I really like the descriptive words they've been using.

asuperstarr says:

Those commercial are more selling what the iPhone can do and not just being a fun commercial. If you think about it, what can you actually do with a Samsung phone. The apps or not there. Just my opinion.

lbaxter says:

While I can't stand the "shouts" during any of the new commercials, at least they show you something relevant to the device.

Jaguarr40 says:

I love the new iPhone commercials better than the iPad ones and I love them as well.

Team George says:

Apple is sooooo good advertising: simple messages that stick e.g "There's an App for that".