How to magnify your screen with zoom for visual accessibility on your iPhone or iPad
Zoom is an Accessibility feature that makes everything from text to icons to interface elements bigger and easier to see on the iPhone and iPad. Zoom magnification defaults to 200% but can be set from 100%-500% to help anyone with low vision of any level. When in zoomed mode, all the standard navigation and selection gestures — tap, swipe, and pinch — work just like normal. Zoom can even work alongside VoiceOver to provide even greater assistance for those with visual impairments.
Note: Designers use zoom as well to help check pixel-level details on-screen.
How to enable zoom for better visual accessibility on your iPhone or iPad
- Launch the Settings app on your iPhone or iPad.
- Tap on General.
- Tap on Accessibility.
- Under the Vision section, tap on Zoom.
- Turn the Zoom option On.
Once you've got Zoom enabled, you can use it on the fly. Here's how to use it:
- Double tap with three fingers anywhere on the screen to enable and disable zoom. You can do this from pretty much anywhere.
- Drag three fingers around the screen to pan around and move to another area of the screen.
- Use one or two fingers to scroll in the particular section that is on the screen.
That's it! You're good to go! If you ever decide you don't like zoom enabled, you can easily disable it by hopping back into the Settings app again.
Note: Originally posted April 2013. Updated July 2014.
How to get more help with accessibility for iPhone and iPad
- How to use voice control with Siri for iPhone and iPad
- How to have your screen read with VoiceOver for iPhone and iPad
- How to magnify your screen with zoom on your iPhone or iPad
- How to invert screen colors on iPhone and iPad
- How to have text read with speak selection on your iPhone and iPad
- How to hear your corrections with speak auto-text for visual accessibility on iPhone and iPad
- How to increase legibility with large and bold text on iPhone and iPad
- How to make buttons more tappable by enabling shape outlines on iPhone and iPad
- How to increase contrast on iPhone and iPad
- How to prevent vertigo by reducing motion on your iPhone and iPad
- How to make toggles more visible by enabling on/off button labels on iPhone and iPad
- How to use FaceTime to make video calls on your iPhone or iPad
- How to connect to hearing aids on your iPhone or iPad
- How to use the LED flash as a visible notification light on your iPhone
- How to enable mono audio on iPhone or iPad
- How to enable subtitles and captioning on iPhone or iPad
- How to lock attention to a specific app with Guided Access for iPhone and iPad
- How to enable AssistiveTouch on iPhone or iPad
- How to enable switch control on iPhone and iPad
- How to adjust Home-click speed on iPhone and iPad
- How to set the triple-click Home button shortcut on iPhone and iPad
- Accessibility help and discussion forum
Have something to say about this story? Share your comments below! Need help with something else? Submit your question!