How to update from iOS 7 beta or GM to official release version

How to update from iOS 7 beta or GM to official release version

While the iOS 7 Gold Master (GM) released on September 10 should be binary-identical to the General Availability (GA) version released today, September 18, some people seem to want the comfort of getting what everyone else in the world is getting. If you're one of them, or if you're stuck on the beta and aren't sure how to get off, here's what you need to do to switch to the official release version:

1. Make sure you've updated to iTunes 11.1
  2. Plug your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch into iTunes
  3. Agree to trust the computer if iOS 7 asks
  4. Backup your device, if you don't want a clean install
  5. Click "Update" or "Restore"
  6. Let iTunes download and re-install iOS 7 on your device

If iTunes says there's no newer version to update to, you can force the issue by putting your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch into DFU mode after the backup, then doing the restore. DFU (Device Firmware Update) mode will make sure you download and install the latest release version of iOS off of Apple's servers.

If you have any questions, or have any clever tips to share with us, leave them below!

Apple details security fixes in iOS 7. And there's a ton of them!

Apple shows off iOS 7 on iPhone 5c in new 'Designed Together' ad

ericesque says:

Well darn. I should have waited for this article. I downgraded to iOS 6.4 using the DFU mode method last night. Hopefully others get to benefit!

Uri Kelman says:

If you have a developer account, you can just download the GA file from the iOS Dev Center.

paul.j.nelson says:

The build numbers are identical, there's no reason to do that.

Uri Kelman says:

This is true. You're essentially re-installing the OS.

iSRS says:

Good to know. So, in essence, 7.0.2 (since 7.0.1 seems to be new device specific) should be fine OTA?

Sent from the iMore App

n13 says:

GM seems to be 11A465. My phone has 11A4449d and I wasn't offered an update.

As mentioned below, just download it from the dev center...

dmur says:

My iPhone just bricked because the GM expired. There's your reason...

lateparty says:

Yep, mine too...always when I'm in Paris. Thankfully I was able to see it and get the photos off this time but I'm kinda stuck because my Find my iPhone is enabled. Can't do anything through the iCloud app either :|||

Spartacus McGinty says:

You can update the phone by downloading the official release manually. Follow this - http://www.iphonehacks.com/2013/09/update-ios-7-beta-ios-7-public-releas...

Angel Pena says:

I had updated my girlfriends iPhone 5 to the iOS 7 Betas and just yesterday it locked itself and had the activation error. When connected to iTunes it said the phone was up to date. I simply installed the most recent iTunes version and clicked restore, let the firmware download and disconnected the iPhone. After the 7.0.2 firmware finished downloading, I reconnected the iPhone and did the shift+left click on the software update button and searched for the firmware file. The phone successfully updated from the expired beta firmware to the 7.0.2 general audience version. And since it was and update and not a restore I was able to preserve all settings, apps, photos, etc.

Drew Horvath says:

the GM = the GA this article shouldn't even include anything about the GM, you are just pointlessly causing people with the GM to waste their time waiting with the masses to re-download a software they already have on their phones..

Moe Aboura says:

Help, please!

So, I had iOS 7 beta six on my iPhone 5 for about two weeks. Today, wanting to update to the official release, I reset my iPhone to its factory settings (hard reset? through the Settings menu). I then plugged it in and opened iTunes and it says it couldn't activate iPhone because I'm not a registered developer... Now, I'm stuck and I can't find a version that's working. I need my phone very urgently. I can't even re-install the iOS7 beta 6 for some reason. I tried doing that in DFU mode with no luck. Please help me out here. I just got my phone last month and I'd hate to have wasted $700!!

Tonny Vo says:

Make sure iTunes is updated to the latest version before doing the DFU mode

Moe Aboura says:

I've updated iTunes and I hit Restore iPhone and it is now downloading iOS 7. I can't wait to see whether it'll work or not. Fingers crossed. Thanks for the tip!

huythanh213 says:

Hi, I'm having the same problem. From beta 6, I cannot directly upgrade. So I downloaded the ispw and install from file, iTunes said it wasn't compatible. I went in to DFU. The restore option detected is iOS 6.1.4. My iTunes is the latest version.

Austin Rice says:

This describes the process I used to get from beta to GM, hope it helps!
appleupdate.blog.com

Moe Aboura says:

... and thanks a lot, good sir! ;)

Moe Aboura says:

Trying iOS 6.1.4 worked. Apparently, there was a problem with my proxy. I have to use a proxy to purchase or update Apps and it was momentarily off. I'm now upgrading to iOS 7 OTA.

Moe Aboura says:

No, it extracts software, verifies it and then and error message pops up. I went to Apple.com with the error message and it said I had to update iTunes. My iTunes is the latest version. I live in Syria so there are SO many restrictions on iPhone from Apple but that is not it because I'm using a Hotspot with a proxy and I've never had a problem like this with my previous devices.

I'm now downloading 6.1.4 now.

I don't get it, though. I can't update to the public release of iOS 7 and when I try beta it says my phone isn't registered as a part of the iPhone Development Program. This does not make any sense. Sigh.

Moe Aboura says:

I'm so close to moving to the S4! :@ I'm furious with all of this but rant aside, the iOS 6.1.4 didn't work. It says it was corrupt. I downloaded another and I got the same. Are the files really corrupt or is this Apple being @$*%#$?

I'll try another and see what happens.

johnsonroda27 says:

Heres an idea.. If your not a developer dont install the beta and use the phone like everyone else and wait until its available for everyone. How can you sit there and bitch and complain and say your going to leave to get an S4 when you screwed with your phone and now its not working. Get a clue

Moe Aboura says:

I was so excited about the new release and I thought, "what the heck!" But, if you're only supposed to do things that you're good at, then two things you shouldn't be doing: trying to help and English. Someone has been using AutoCorrect way too much.

Chill, dude, and don't take your anger out on me. Start working out and stuff. It should help!

BBooDad says:

Try registering as a developer at developer.apple.com , which at $99 is a lot cheaper than buying an S4. Then you have to register your UDID with them, which you get with a UDID or AdHoc app. Then hopefully you could install 6.1.4 at least, and maybe the latest 7, too.

xmtthwx says:

How about you shut the fuck up. Prick.

Chentio Fortin says:

I had the same problem down here in Peru, i called Apple and they told me to try with another wifi network, i took my phone to an Istore and they did ahard reset but with itunes 11.05 so they downgraded my iphone to IOS 6 and then the notification of the software upgrade appear.

Enrique Perez1 says:

Set iPhone in dfu mode, download iOS 6.1.4, then click restore while holding ctrl+shift keys, select iOS u just download as click accept! Should work :)

aotus21 says:

So I have the iOS 7 GM on my iPhone 5 now, but I want to get the public release on my phone. I am currently downloading iTunes 11.1 (the official release from apple.com). Will plugging in my phone to the new iTunes bring up a update to the official iOS 7 from the GM version?

And yes I know there is not much, if any, difference. I guess I am just one of those people that the article was talking about in the beginning.

duc_nguyen1994 says:

Did this with the clean install (just icloud backup) and now i cant activate the phone!! help!!

Justin McCarroll says:

Are you a non developer? I am as well and I'm on the beta but I dont want to end up locked out

Kenneth Montealegre says:

im a non developer i updated the GM to the official release as it said there i have mi icloud backup but now i cant activate my phone is this due to the developer thing im really scared i wont be able to use my phone again!!

Rahat Khan1 says:

These kinds of posts really make me laugh XD
Your iPhone is going to be fine

Izzat Azman says:

do the DFU/ recovery mode and after that they will ask u to restore and automatically update your phone to the newest version. make sure your itunes is 11.1

Johnbibbs says:

I just got off the phone with Apple support. Their activation servers are overloaded right now apparently. Give it a little time and you should be fine.

I'm in the same boat with you.

mr_stayfun says:

Are you sure? Because i've read that the final version really has a slight important thing which ios7beta6 has not.
So for sure, i want to have the final official release.

Johnbibbs says:

That has nothing to do with the fact that Apple's activation servers are overloaded right now.

mr_stayfun says:

So you are sure, that doing the steps above will not resulting locked-disfunction-phone for jailbroken it with beta for non developers? Please enlighten me. Thx.

BBooDad says:

beta 6 was not the final. GM was the Gold Master that went out last week, and is unchanged from release version of iOS7 this week.

Patient67 says:

I have iOS 7 GM on my personal phone and just installed iOS 7 OTA on my work phone. A difference that I saw that annoys me is the fact that my personal phone does not have all of the new dynamic and regular wallpapers that I can see on my work phone!!!

mr_stayfun says:

It is said that, on the final official release, you can hold the camera button for burst shooting lite version compared to iphons5s.

Stephen Drake says:

The GM version does the burst shooting thing also.

mr_stayfun says:

Correct! I meant the beta version which doesnt.

Lavatis Ballinger says:

Thats because the gm version us like a demo version

Stephen Drake says:

No, the GM version is identical to the official release version. Not a demo.

Stephen Drake says:

The new dynamic wallpapers are in the GM version. You just missed them somehow.

KamranMackey says:

Just called Apple. They said for people in the Mountain Time timezone, to wait until 6:18 PM or so, then the activation server should hopefully be ready so you can activate your device.

Sohail Samet says:

I found a problem. When i click to restore my iphone it says "There was a problem downloading the software for the iphone. The requested resource was not found."

What should i do?

seussville71 says:

So I have the ios 7 beta 5 (or 6, not sure) and im not a developer or anything. Im simply trying now to get the official ios7 version. Should I follow these instructions or will my phone get somehow blocked?

Matt Holmes2 says:

Not too long ago, my phone was on the beta, and it had an update, it said it was just Ios7, no version of the beta, and when i plug in my phone to itunes, it says everything is up to date. Do I still have to do anthing ?

seussville71 says:

How did this update happen? Are you an apple developer?

mr_stayfun says:

Mine is also beta 6. It doesnt show the beta version.
And when i also check on my itunes, it shows the same as yours (Perhaps).
So, basically, imho, the easiest to differentiate the beta version and GM/GA/Final is by checking the camera function. If you can do burst shooting by holding the button, then its not a beta anymore.

Guy4Tech says:

You guys are the best! Just what I needed!

Richard Feng says:

I'm not sure if I have the ios 7 beta 6 version right now, or the ios 7 actual version. I backed up and reinstalled a bunch of things on my iphone so i honestly don't know what i've done. Right now, all my apps are gone and in the "dynamic" wallpaper section, i noticed that there were a bunch of new colors. Can anyone please help?

Luis Aispuro says:

Hey I have a iPod touch 5 with iOS 7 GM but I want to have the GA version and am trying to put it back on iOS 6.1.3 and then update but I can't...when I connect my ipod IOS 7 GM to itunes 11.1 it always says """connect this iPod touch using a USB cable in order to update or restore it's software""" that's what it says and I already disconnected and connected my ipod but it says the same thing and the usb cable is the original... I don't know what to do please help me..

peddz says:

Pretty much what I need answered and what most people need answered by anyone that can help us is this :

I have the beta 5 or 6 ios 7 on my phone ( iphone 5 ) and I am NOT a developer and do NOT have a developer ID or anything of that sort. What do we need to do to get the official ios7 version without getting locked out of our iPhones ??

Anyone that can answer this, and it actually work, will be a savior to thousands of people. Including myself.

Pham Phu Ngoc says:

In case you have updated to beta 5 or 6, please download your firmware as per your model to the following link, remember to update your iTunes upto 11.1 and download the firmware you need, then connect to iTune press and hold Shift while select Update (not Restore) and browse to the file you have downloaded to update your iPhone. (Pls Don't Restore as per the Author of this blog just recommended, it will erase your iPhone and you need to reinstall all appls.), After completion of updating, from iTunes you can select restore from the back-up, then your iPhone still remain the same as before. Good Luck. PPN.

iOS 7 Download Links:
for all:
iPad (4th generation CDMA)
iPad (4th generation GSM)
iPad (4th generation WiFi)
iPad mini (CDMA)
iPad mini (GSM)
iPad mini (WiFi)
iPad 3 Wi-Fi (3rd generation)
iPad 3 Wi-Fi + Cellular (model for ATT)
iPad 3 Wi-Fi + Cellular (model for Verizon)
iPad 2 Wi-Fi (Rev A)
iPad 2 Wi-Fi
iPad 2 Wi-Fi + 3G (GSM)
iPad 2 Wi-Fi + 3G (CDMA)
iPhone 5 (CDMA)
iPhone 5 (GSM)
iPhone 4s
iPhone 4 (GSM Rev A)
iPhone 4 (GSM)
iPhone 4 (CDMA)
iPod touch (5th generation)

Pham Phu Ngoc says:

Sorry, please make back up your iPhone for the restore later, after you update to iOS7. Good Luck. PPN

Jake Monheim says:

EVERYONE LISTEN! I had success with the plan above. I was a non-developer beta 6 user just like many of you, no UDID registration or anything. What I did was this, I downloaded the latest iTunes 11.1 then I plugged in my phone I clicked "Cancel" on the the automated ios7 update prompt. Next, from the link above, I downloaded the correct ipsw (for me iPhone 5 GSM, took about 30 mins). Next I went to my iPhone in iTunes and did "Option + click Update" at the top middle. This opened the window and I selected the new ipsw I downloaded the exact same way I installed beta 3 back in the day. The update literally took 5 minutes once it started extracting the software. Those were the exact steps I took. I am currently able to take rapid-fire pics, view all the pretty backgrounds, and use the 27 new ringtones! hope this helped. Also not a single thing was deleted. I'm not sure if a backup is necessary for this method, but do one just to be safe.

Annie Johnson says:

wait but is this just another beta verison or is this that legit apple update?

Jake Monheim says:

The link above has the full ios7 official release. The beta stops at beta 6.

jngmin00 says:

Ermmmm i successfully did the dfu mode into official ios7, but my back up says that iTunes could not restore "iPhone" because the backip was corrupt or not compatible with the iPhone that is being restored. What do i do?

Doug Decloux says:

Not available in Canada yet surprise surprise

Sent from the iMore App

verde3323 says:

Ok what you do is find the official ios 7.0 and download it just like you did the beta and go through the same procedures used via iTunes holding the option key and clicking update.

mr_stayfun says:

Anyway, what i've been worried about is meaningless. (:

Once i updated my itunes to vers 11.1 , it was automatically suggesting new ios7. So i downloaded that 1GB , and everyting flows easily.

Good luck!

verde3323 says:

Were you in beta with a non developer download?

Sent from the iMore App

mr_stayfun says:

Yup! I jailbroke my phone with a beta version which supposed for the develepor, and i aint.

LifeOfShakialll says:

yea were you in beata with a non developer download? This question is super important

Erik_Lpz12 says:

If I stay in a GM without a developer account could be risky? Does something happens to the GM? Do they get blocked or something like that? If I stay in a GM would I be able to upgrade to iOS 7.0.1??

Rohan gupta3 says:

I am running iOS 7 beta 6 on my iPad 3 and I'm not a developer.
I downloaded iTunes 11.1 and pluggled in my iPad and clicked check for update.
It says an update is available. Should I follow the update procedure or should I still try clicking on restore?
And I'm scared that I'll end up locking out my device for installing beta on a non-dev account.
Can anyone help me. I just bought this iPad and I'm scared that I'll brick it.
Please help..

johncblandii says:

Thanks for this. I need to do this and was just thinking, once my mini is charged, would it be an easy process to get the release version.

Perfect timing Rene!

Anthony Lipani says:

OK EVERYBODY HAVING ANY PROBLEMS OR WONDERING HOW TO DO THIS CORRECTLY LISTEN UP . THIS WAS MY SITUATION AND IF YOURS IS ANYTHING LIKE MINE THIS WILL WORK. I DO NOT KNOW WHY THE INSTRUCTIONS IN THIS POST SAY TO RESTORE . I WAS RUNNING IOS 7 BETA 6 . I 1ST WENT TO ITUNES.COM AND DOWNLOADED 11.1 I DIDNT TRY TOO UPDATE I JUST DOWNLOADED THE NEWEST VERSION AND INSTALLED . THIS WILL SIMPLY UPDATE YOUR OLD ITUNE AND YOU WONT LOSE ANYTHING . NEXT I PLUGGED MY IPHONE 5 IN AND ITUNES RECOGNIZED IT . I CLICKED ON BACKUP TO ICLOUD AND IT TOOK A MINUTE OR 2 TO DO SO . WHERE IT SAYS UPDATE AND RESTORE AT THE TOP RIGHT IT ALSO SAID I WAS RUNNING THE NEWEST IOS 7 WHICH WAS NOT TRUE . I SIMPLY LEFT MY PHONE PLUGGED IN AND CLICKED THE UPDATE TAB EVEN THOUGH IT SAID I HAVE THE NEWEST VERSION. IT SIMPLY DOWNLOADED THE NEWEST IOS 7 (WHICH TOOK 4 DAMN HOURS !!!!!!!! BECAUSE THE APPLE SERVERS ON CROWDED ) AFTER THE LONG ASS TIME OF DOWNLOADING IT WORKED ITS MAGIC AND UPDATED LIKE IT WAS SUPPOSED TO . I LEFT MY PHONE PLUGGED IN THE MY LAPTOP THE ENTIRE TIME TO MAKE SURE MY PHONE WAS THERE ONCE THE DOWNLOAD WAS FINISHED AND IT DID ITS THING AN UPDATED SUCCESSFULLY IN ABOUT 5 MIN OR SO . IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS ASK AWAY , I DONT KNOW IF ILL HAVE THE ANSWER BEING THAT I TRIED TO WRITE EVERYTHING I DID SPECIFICALLY BUT I WILL TRY TO HELP THE BEST I CAN BUT THIS SHOULD WORK LIKE A CHARM . ON A SIDE NOT I DID NOT LOSE ANYTHING .. ALL MY APPS AND PICTURES ALONG WITH EVERYTHING ELSE WAS RIGHT WHERE I LEFT THEM BEFORE I UPDATED .

Rohan gupta3 says:

Do you have a developer account?

Anthony Lipani says:

someone registered me on their account but im not so sure it matters because like i said it still automatically said i was running the latest version which i wasnt and i wasnt registered under my itunes. clicking update should still make itunes search for the ota version and it should still find it and download it . when it comes to the ota itunes shouldnt have anything to do with developer accounts being that it no longer has anything to do with developers and it is now a public release so i feel pretty confident this should work fine for most people . but do so at your own risk i guess but like i said i dont see why it wouldnt work

Rohan gupta3 says:

Is there a even 1% chance of me locking my device out for installing Beta 6 without a developers account?

mr_stayfun says:

I dont experienced what you've afraid of..

Anthony Lipani says:

i dont understand what you are saying but im not afraid of anything just trying to help

mr_stayfun says:

im sorry, i should've mentioned the "Rohan gupta3"
i've been meaning to reply him... and your experience is pretty much the same as mine, and my phone is still working properly. cheers (=

Rohan gupta3 says:

What privileges do you get when someone registers you under their developers account?

Anthony Lipani says:

i guess your recognized as a developer . so i had beta 6 running and i heard a few people were having problems bc apple wasnt recognizing them as a registered device . i had no issues though

Rohan gupta3 says:

If someone without a developer/beta tester account has tried this please inform me.

Anthony Lipani says:

ok .. on a side note it doesnt hurt to see if clicking update on itunes will find a new version . it doesnt affect your phone until its 100% downloaded . it downloads to itunes 1st then extracts and then it syncs up with your phone and installs so checking wont do anything wrong to your phone at all . if it does find the ota and starts to download ( good luck waiting a few hours to finish) then you should be good to go

Rohan gupta3 says:

Yeah I plugged it in to iTunes clicked on check for updates.
It found one and its downloading.
This is fine right?

Dhruv McSachdev says:

Hey guys i need help
1) i had ios 7 beta 6 untill morning
2) i wanted official release, when i went on software update on my IPOD 5 it showed im running the latest software
3) i connected to my itunes 11.0 it showed update available (ios 7)
4) i clicked download and update
5) the download finished and update started
6) the update was 3/4th done i got an error ( error 06 )
7)Ipod went into recovery mode
8) now when i click restore ipod it gives error .. your device is not eligible for requested build
PLEASE HELP ME

Dhruv McSachdev says:

I have updated itunes and osx and tried again, no change. :(

Rohan gupta3 says:

Someone please reply to him, I am about to do the same steps with my iPad. Please.

ms_tru says:

Everyone has their reasons as to why they do/don't like IOS 7. For number 1 it hurts my eyes. It's also like they've added more steps just to complete a task. It may be simple but it's not realistic as such as IOS 6. For me Apple was a sleek and sexy interface. If you notice the colors for the icons in IOS 7 are too bright. The icon are just ugly. I can honestly say I hope Apple changes this quickly. Apple needs to create something that Steve Jobs would have done. This is not one of them.

Barry Wilhite says:

I'm on ios 7 gm & I'm not a developer. How can I update to the official ios 7 or is it any different. Pleae help

zdm1212 says:

I just downloaded the GM version of ios 7 and did the shift update

Jason Smith14 says:

Hi guy, would like to help some of you who have problems, I have an ipad 3 with ios 7 beta 6 which I just finally updated to the final ios 7 from iTunes!
My ipad was reset and erased and wouldn't activate and kept saying I haven't got a developers account!
This is what I did, download the latest iTunes software.
Power off the ipad
Plug usb in ipad but not computer (I was using a macbook pro)
While holding down the home button plug usb in computer keep home pressed then you see the ipad say connect to iTunes, this is recovery mode, on iTunes click restore and it will start downloading ios 7, now some way through the download my ipad came out of recovery mode and went back to the select language page but the ios was still downloading, so from here disconnect ipad from computer and continue letting ios 7 download, power off ipad, when ios 7 is download connect the ipad again by going into recovery mode again so while holding down home button connect ipad until ipad says connect to iTunes then click restore and the ios 7 will update you ipad, hope this works for you as it did me

Daniel Tovesson says:

I have iOS 7 GM on both my iPhone and iPad. Will I get updates to the OS from apple? If so I feel no need to reinstall the OS to get the official version.

Daniel Rafael says:

thanks.... really help me out.. :D

agarwal.apar says:

Rene, thanks so much for this article.. it actually saved alot of minutes! and yes - I am loving iOS 7 on my iPhone 5 and iPad mini both are black/slate

KimberlyDiane says:

If I do the process as described, when I hit "restore", will that not erase everything? Will I lose all of the stuff in my phone?

EliJah Medley says:

This is the only tip I can find anywhere to unbrick my phone but for me it doesn't work. I go into DFU mode and select the correct IPSW (I've tried iOS7 as well as 6) and when it finishes extracting the software I get an error message about 3194. I've looked it up and the only tips on that are network issues which I've got none of. Has anyone else had this same error?