How to block phone calls, FaceTime calls, and Messages on iPhone or iPad

How to block phone calls, FaceTime calls, and Messages from someone in iOS 7

If you're getting harassed, spammed, stalked, or otherwise subjected to unwanted phone calls, FaceTime calls, or iMessages, you can block the person and preventing them from contacting you again. It's like an infinite iPhone or iPad time out for jerks. And best of all, it's easy to do.

How to block Contacts on the iPhone or iPad

Note: To use this specific method, you must have the person you want to block in your Contacts app. If you don't, or don't want to have to add them, try any of the other methods below instead.

1. Launch the Settings app from the Home screen of your iPhone or iPad.
  2. Scroll down and tap on either Phone, Messages, or FaceTime.
  3. In the next menu, scroll down and tap on Blocked.
  4. Now tap on Add New... to add a new blocked person.
  5. Find the contact you'd like to block in your Contact list and tap on their name.

Your iPhone or iPad will automatically add every phone number and email address you have listed for that contact to your blocked list.

How to block phone calls on the iPhone

1. Launch the Phone app from the Home screen of your iPhone.
  2. Tap on the Recent Calls tab along the bottom.
  3. Find the contact you want to block and tap on the Info button next to their phone number.
  4. Scroll all the way down on the info screen and tap on Block this Caller.
  5. A popup confirmation will appear, tap on Block Contact.

How to block FaceTime calls on the iPad

1. Launch the FaceTime app from the Home screen of your iPad.
  2. Scroll down the the Recent Calls column along the side.
  3. Find the contact you want to block and tap on the Info button next to their name.
  4. Scroll all the way down on the info screen and tap on Block this Caller.
  5. A popup confirmation will appear, tap on Block Contact.

How to block iMessage on the iPhone or iPad

1. Launch the Messages app from the Home screen of your iPhone or iPad.
  2. Tap into the message thread of the person you're trying to block and tap Contact at the top.
  3. Now tap on the Info button.
  4. Scroll all the way to the bottom and tap on Block this Caller.
  5. A popup confirmation will appear, tap on Block Contact.

Allyson Kazmucha

Editor for iMore, Potter pundit, and the ninja in your iOS

Apple iPhone 5s vs. Samsung Galaxy S4: Which phone should you get?

Instapaper for iOS updated with support for background updates

SteveP says:

Too bad we cannot block "Unknown" or "Restricted" calls in iOS itself.

Allyson Kazmucha says:

I don't think that's possible to anything but a landline as far as I know, through carrier or OS.

omilio says:

Actually you can block unknown callers on the S4.

Not "trolling" just saying.

Chuck Money says:

With the Youmail Visual Voicemail App, you can block unknown/blocked callers.

Elessar.cm says:

Excellent "how to"! Thanks.

shimad says:

After blocking a number, when that person / number calls again, what will that person experience? Will the know their blocked? Will they be able to leave a voicemail?

kch50428 says:

Calls from blocked numbers roll to voicemail... and if blocked callers leave messages, you get no indication of a message other than it shows up in voicemail under the category 'blocked messages'... no alert whatsoever. And the blocked person won't know they're blocked unless you tell them.

Anna Scheve says:

What about texts? If I send a text to someone who has blocked my number, will the message ever say "delivered"? Will it say "unable to send"? What happens when/if that person unblocks me? Will that person see a text I sent when I was blocked?

veegee1 says:

Is it that apple just doesn't get it? or is it just that apple is very spiteful? When I want to block a caller, the last thing I want is that caller to have access to my voice mail. In other words i want to completely block that caller such as I-blacklist does when an iphone is jailbroken, but apple seems to have this thing with sending "do not disturb" and blocked callers straight to voice mail and I just don't get it. this is one thing that apple refuses to do correctly, thus the need to jailbreak. Blackberry, android and windows all have numerous REAL call blocking apps in their respective app stores and YES they WILL block anonymous or no ID numbers. This is the one thing that makes me yearn for blackberyy or android - the fact that with 800,000 aopps in the app store, apple willnot allow one single real call blocking app and this burns me up.

Verbotten says:

Was thinking exactly the same, BLOCK means I don't want to HEAR or BE AWARE of that CALLER ever, period. I don't need them to be leaving the messages. Whats wrong with apple. Just let me block the frigin caller.

flovas says:

I agree with Veegee1. You should have the option to completely disregard the call or if you want to select to send it to voice mail. You should also have the option to block a call but receive a text. Right now it seems that if I block a contact or number it completely blocks everything.

BBtoiPhone says:

The blocking feature is great, however even if you have someone on your blocked list they can still leave you a voicemail, and it shows in your voicemail under Blocked Messages. I wish there was a way to block people and when they call it just gives them a busy tone, or disconnects them automatically. I dont want people I am blocking to have the ability to leave me a voicemail..

Verbotten says:

Actually this should NOT be called a blocking feature. This should be called:

"HOW TO AUTOMATICALLY FORWARD A CALLER TO YOUR VOICEMAIL"

We need an ACTUAL blocking feature which means dropped call or busy signal.

Mike Jo says:

There is an app called Call Block, which works great.
it's free too.. link..

pbdieseldr says:

Call Block does the same exact thing as what they are referring to here. It sends callers to voice mail.

Sarah281985 says:

doesnt block 0800 numbers calling!!

Steven Olsen says:

I have a contact on my iPhone that also has an iPhone and we go to send a message it won't send as an iMessage but on other iPhone I can send it iMessage and on iPad the samething. So can somebody please let me know why this