How to create your own station in iTunes Radio for iOS

How to create your own station in iTunes Radio for iOS

If you're running iOS 7 on your iPhone or iPad, iTunes Radio comes bundled right in the Music app. While you can always listen to the stations Apple is currently featuring, you can also create your own based on any genre, album, or track you'd like.

Here's how:

1. Launch the Music app from the Home screen of your iPhone or iPad running iOS 7.
  2. Tap on the iTunes Radio tab in the bottom navigation if you aren't there already.
  3. Scroll down a bit and tap on the plus sign on the block labeled New Station.
  4. Here you can search for an artist, pick a genre, or look for a particular song.
  5. Tap on the result you'd like to create a station based on.

That's all there is to it. iTunes Radio will automatically start playing songs based on your criteria. The station will also appear under your My Stations section so you can always go back and listen to that station again whenever you'd like without creating it again.

Allyson Kazmucha

Editor for iMore, Potter pundit, and the ninja in your iOS

This week's hottest deals on Mac games: Borderlands 2, XCOM, Interplay games and more

Radio Shack to offer iPhone 5c buyers $50 off

enots27 says:

Hopefully apple will release iTunes Radio in the uk sometime soon. The best feature of ios7 and we don't get it.

GlennRuss says:

Do not get too excited. It can be way off on music. I made a Chet Atkins radio, and it plays Chet, and all other country music, mostly singers. I made a Doyle Dykes radio, and it just plays classical violin, not any guitar music from Doyle Dykes. I know Chet, and Doyle are not mainstream so to speak, but Pandora does a much better job at playing the listed artist. To me, iTunes Radio needs to do better.

Joel Keranen says:

You are also supposed to be able to customize the station by adding other genres. As far as I can tell this feature is broken. You can add the genres but music from a genre other than the original genre never gets played.

pinpoint007 says:

I was hoping to use this more, but in all my stations, the same songs just keep repeating. I've even had it where it played the same song back to back a couple times. Usually though, it will repeat the same songs every 5-10 tracks...big disappointment.

ipodxoxo says:

I have been using iTunes radio since it came out and am enjoying it. I tend to use the "play more" or "never play" to my playlists. My 2 favorites are Little Comets Radio and The Colourist Radio. Tracks are similar so I may exhaust my skips sometimes and switch but it works. Found tracks from artist that I heard about but never took the time to listen to. My iTunes has gained about 20 albums since then. iTunes Radio is still a work in progress . Chose Jack and Neverlands Pirate radio for my son and the first track was rap with the foulest of language.

Anthony aJames says:

I can barley use this app bc it always back me out from radio to try again later, im in USA ET so idk this keeps happening, i finnaly created a station without picking apple listed genres, so i created Pink Floyd, worked for a while until i stopped it bc it was getting late, this was stil iOS 7, later when i wanted the radio again, it fails, created a new station, still fails, so what gives? now in 7.0.2 and still, same oh same oh, fails, ipod touch 5g

urandrod says:

I created a 60's, 70's & 80's station but it only plays the first genre, not the other two. Can someone else verify this for me to see if it's a bug or something else.

Anthony aJames says:

i cant play 80's and backs me out where it says "iTunes unavailable", quick second later, dissapears and reshows feature stations but can't play for crap.

Gregz0r says:

Hopefully any bugs will be ironed-out before it arrives here in the UK.

____

Sent from the iMore App

Randy b says:

We need iTunes Radio in Canada now and Imore why haven't you guys update your app to iOS 7 yet a site that's devoted to all things apple should have your app updated to iOS 7

Sent from the iMore App

Juan Lopez11 says:

Stop complaining people !!

Sent from the iMore App