How to update iOS over-the-air using Software Update
When a new version of iOS arrives, the quickest, easiest way to update on-device and over-the-air (OTA) using the Software Update built into Settings app on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch. You need to be on Wi-Fi, be plugged in or have more than half your battery life remaining, and you need sufficient storage space left on your device to download the update, but if all those things are true, you'll be up and running the new version of iOS as fast the internet allows. If you have any problems or just want to do it old-school style, you can also update to iOS using iTunes.
How to update iOS on-device
- Tap on Settings from the Home screen of your iPhone or iPad.
- Tap on General.
- Towards the top, tap on Software Update.
- Your iPhone or iPad should now check for new software and find that an update is now available.
- Tap on the Download and Install option towards the bottom. You need to be on WiFi in order to download the update or this option will be greyed out.
- Wait for your iPhone or iPad download the new version. This can take some time depending on your internet connection speed.
- Tap on Install to to begin the installation procedure.
Once the install is finished your iPhone or iPad will reboot and you'll have to sign back in, but the update will be yours!