Apple iPad Tablet -- the Complete Specs and TiPb's Take on Them

dimensions_20100127

For the spec fiends among us, Apple has posted up almost every little number you'd ever want to know about their new iPad tablet (except, of course, what silicon is powering it on the inside -- that'll have to wait for the inevitable tear down.

We'll take a look, after the break!

• Height: 9.56 inches (242.8 mm)
  • Width: 7.47 inches (189.7 mm)
  • Depth: 0.5 inch (13.4 mm)
  • Weight: 1.5 pounds (.68 kg) Wi-Fi model; 1.6 pounds (.73 kg) Wi-Fi + 3G model

Sounds a tad heavy to us, certainly heavier than the Kindle. Will we be happy lugging it around? Reading it while lying in bed?

• 9.7-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit glossy widescreen Multi-Touch display with IPS technology
  • 1024-by-768-pixel resolution at 132 pixels per inch (ppi)
  • Fingerprint-resistant oleophobic coating
  • Support for display of multiple languages and characters simultaneously

We're happy with the 720p+, but what's with the old school 4:3 aspect ratio? 1280 wide was a non-starter, or like the phatty nano, something that gets changed with the next version? IPS is the phenomenal LED panel technology used on the new iMac, which means great viewing angles.

• Wi-Fi (802.11 a/b/g/n)
  • Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR technology
  • Wi-Fi + 3G model
  • UMTS/HSDPA (850, 1900, 2100 MHz)
  • GSM/EDGE (850, 900,1800, 1900 MHz)

802.11n is steller, and although BT 2.1 feels old, we're happy it will support BT keyboards (and want that in the iPhone!). The 3G bands means no T-Mobile US or Wind Canada except on EDGE.

• Digital compass
  • Assisted GPS (Wi-Fi + 3G model)

Digital compass is a must for Augmented Reality, and it's great to see both in the Wi-Fi only model. iPod touch should have gotten that in the G3 last September. Sorry, no gyro!

• 16GB, 32GB, or 64GB flash drive

This feels a little on the lean side to us. Since an iPod touch G3 can already hit 64MB, we were hoping for a 128GB option.

• 1GHz Apple A4 custom-designed, high-performance, low-power system-on-a-chip

Here we go! Apple's own, home-grown PA Semi-spun silicon. We're guessing it has an ARM Cortex A8 (it's a tad early for 9) inside there, but is it using the PowerVR SGX like the iPhone 3GS, or something beefier? Also, as expected, no details on RAM but we'd hope for 512MB+ (hopefully 1GB!)

• Accelerometer
  • Ambient light sensor

Same as iPhone and iPod touch

• Frequency response: 20Hz to 20,000Hz
  • Audio formats supported: AAC (16 to 320 Kbps), Protected AAC (from iTunes Store), MP3 (16 to 320 Kbps), MP3 VBR, Audible (formats 2, 3, and 4), Apple Lossless, AIFF, and WAV
  • User-configurable maximum volume limit
  • Support for 1024 x 768 with Dock Connector to VGA adapter; 576p and 480p with Apple Composite - A/V Cable, 576i and 480i with Apple Composite A/V Cable
  • H.264 video up to 720p, 30 frames per second, Main Profile level 3.1 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; MPEG-4 video, up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats

Also similar to iPhone/iPod touch, including the A/V cables. We'd hoped for an HDMI cable as well, as it's interesting if anachronistic to note the mention of Dock Connector to VGA adapter.

• Viewable document types: .jpg, .tiff, .gif (images); .doc and .docx (Microsoft Word); .htm and .html (web pages); .key (Keynote); .numbers (Numbers); .pages (Pages); .pdf (Preview and Adobe Acrobat); .ppt and .pptx (Microsoft PowerPoint); .txt (text); .rtf (rich text format); .vcf (contact information); .xls and .xlsx (Microsoft Excel)

Nothing new here either that we can tell. Selfishly, we'd like PSD added to the QuickView list.

• Support for playback of closed-captioned content
  • VoiceOver screen reader
  • Full-screen zoom magnification
  • White on black
  • Mono audio

Kudos to Apple for continuing the accessibility features, let's hope more content takes advantage of closed captioning and iPhone OS specific abilities!

• Built-in 25Whr rechargeable lithium-polymer battery
  • Up to 10 hours of surfing the web on Wi-Fi, watching video, or listening to music
  • Charging via power adapter or USB to computer system

10 hours, given the size of the screen, is very nice.

• Dock connector
  • 3.5-mm stereo headphone jack
  • Built-in speakers
  • Microphone
  • SIM card tray (Wi-Fi + 3G model only)

Yeah, but it's a micro-SIM card, which means you can't just take out your iPhone SIM and put it in the iPad. (Which may be the carrier's intention).

iPad Hands-on Round Up -- Who's touched where and what they think!

iPad Also Debuts Apple A4 Custom-built System-on-a-Chip

Zak Saber says:

whats the outside made out of aluminium?

Mike says:

I just dont care anymore

Rick Maxwell says:

i bet the facebook app runs like crap on this thing too. :)

iDavey says:

This has ultimately underwhelmed.
Rene, could you honestly say this is something amazing? Something that deserves the praise of, lets say, the past iPhone launches?
Because I honestly don't believe so.
They had a chance to make something amazing. But this...this is not.
This can not even be considered a tablet PC.
It can only handle one 3rd party app at a time. And when you're using a REAL PC...multitasking is very important. May not be on a phone. But a PC...yes.
No option for optional programs or plug-ins (no flash, no optional browsers, no other programs besides apps). And I'm sorry, apps are all good and whatnot, but for a "PC" I need it to be fully functioning.
The HDD is severely limited.
No camera (and normally I don't complain about cameras).
No USB ports unless connected to the dock.
I mean...he implied this is better than a netbook.
But how? Where? I see nothing but a giant iPod with 3G added onto it.
I was ready to buy this, but it's nothing now.

Dennis says:

Thanks, very helpful rundown.

Director says:

So, if the iPad was introduced 3 years ago, and today they announced the iPhone, Apple would be saying...
"The iPhone runs all the iPad apps, has all of the connectivity of the iPad PLUS allows you to make phone calls, AND it has a camera, AND it fits in your pocket!
Oh, and one more thing... with a contract the brand new iPhone costs only a third of what an iPad costs!"
(Don't get me wrong, I will probably get an iPad. I'm just saying the iPhone is amazing.)

fastlane says:

$499 = Nahh...
FREE prize from TiPb = Heck yeah!

Rene Ritchie says:

Underestimating the potential of the iPhone OS on a bigger display is a mistake, in my humble opinion.

Tom from Myspace says:

Just a heads up:
"This feels a little on the lean side to us. Since an iPod touch G3 can already hit 64MB, we were hoping for a 128GB option"
64GB.. not 64MB :)

pommi says:

I hate your whining "It has this, but we had hoped for that."

Hamed Alazri says:

I like it! I don't know what's all the complaints about? What do you guys want? A super computer on a 10" screen?
Its all about utility and usage.. This is not intended as a computer replacement.. I'd personally get one mainly for browsing, email, E-BOOKS, Quran, and photos.. Oh ++ cool iPhone apps :)
It does what it is supposed to do, in an amazing way! This is how Apple products should be..

iDavey says:

But if they are trying to "defeat the netbook" how can they with so many limitations on this thing. It has the potential, do not get me wrong. But as it stands...it's not smashing any netbook out there right now.
If they can combine a desktop OS with the likability of the Mobile OS X...then they will have a winner.
I mean...they wouldn't keep you from downloading multiple browsers on your MacBook Air...or installing other programs to use.
So why do that on your "Tablet PC."
I mean just think...the reputation of Apple with graphic designers and music producing enthusiasts. If they had a full featured Photoshop, with a capacitive enabled pen, and a Garageband. That alone would have just basically knocked all netbooks out the running.

iDavey says:

@Hamed
But when you make a comment like "netbooks arent good at anything"
Then introduce a device like this...that's just not good.
A netbook makes this locked down "computer" seem like it's Azkaban before Sirus Black broke out, lol.
But honestly, it just seems they let a lot of people down. I know they let me down.

Rail says:

This is terrible. A flop that will set Apple back at least two years.
The iPhone is lightyears ahead of this paperweight.
Why? Because the iPad does not replace anything, it cannot replace even a MacBook Air. E-book readers have been around for awhile now, I've never been interested in them when buying a real book is almost always cheaper.
What a waste of time.

LupeValenz says:

Netbooks aren't good at anything...Hey apple! Here is one thing netbooks are better than your iPad...MULTITASKING! Egh. Steve Jobs and his arrogance.

Ryan says:

iPad = FAIL.
What a letdown.... I can now buy a giant iPod for $499. If this thing is better than a Netbook, why can it not multi-task? Even my $199 Eee Pc Netbook from 2 years ago can multi-task.
Gimme a break Apple... you have just lost all credibility.

Sadie says:

I don't get it. What's the point of this device? What makes it revolutionary? Why would current iPhone users be compelled to buy one, when the iPhone already has all the iPad features and then some? Am I missing something?

Will says:

The hardware is OK. I would have like to have seen a better cough PixelQi cough screen, HDMI output and a USB port (for portable storage and SD card readers).
What disappointed me most is the software and ecosystem. It should have introduced a simplistic file system for sharing data between apps (how the frack do you move iWork documents on and off the device), far better CODEC support (come on, most of the world uses AVI or MKV) and multi-tasking just to name a few features.
And the eco-system? Apple should have blown us away with a Reader app which lets us subscribe to newspapers (lets start with the iconic NYT) for $10 a month. The iPad is still a media consumption device and Apple NEEDED something new here to entice customers.
With all the hype around it, you would have expected it to bring world peace, a cure for cancer (and harsher punishments for parole violators!)

icebike says:

@iDavey:

But when you make a comment like “netbooks arent good at anything”
Then introduce a device like this…that’s just not good.

Well said.

Rob says:

Am I missing something, or is it missing a camera?

iDavey says:

@icebike
We always see eye to eye...mostly. LOL
But this is just astounding. When he said that...I was literally prepared to return my flat screen tv and start saving up for this thing like I did my Nexus One.
But when I saw the iPhone "launcher" I was like...well, there's a background. So maybe there's new functionality.
Then I saw all the basic iPhone/iPod features just "fleshed" out for a bigger screen. Still held hope.
Then when they didn't implement installation of outside programs, didn't add multitasking, didn't add a bigger hard drive. I saw it for what it was....
An iPod Touch with 3G connectivity if you wanted it.
I mean. How are you going to slam a real computer with a real OS for computing...then deploy a device that supposedly beats said "not good" device...yet it can't even do half the things a netbook can.
Hell...from concept alone...the ChromeOS does more than this...

iDavey says:

AND to add to my high disappointment.
It still has Mobile Safari.
Don't get me wrong, it's a good browser. But netbooks have real browsers. It even has the option of the REAL Safari.
Yet your own "netbook killer" can't do that. =/ Where do they do that at?
This seems like a desperate attempt to dig into the netbook sales. Since they said it wouldn't get anywhere...and yet they have. So now Apple is scrambling to play catch up without looking like they were totally wrong.
Oh the delicious irony.

BG says:

Where's the DVD drive? I wanted to watch my DVDs on the thing. Very disappointed, although maybe that'll be on version 2.

Ipooted says:

Breaking news: Apple to release Ipad Mini with built in phone in 2007.
Wait...

sting7k says:

I really do not see how this is better than a netbook and I believe Steve also said something about more intimate or some relation to the laptop. This is just a big iPod Touch, with the option of cellular data. Watching the press conference I thought I was watching (reading about) a WWDC presentation of the iPhone from 2008 or 2009.

michael says:

Um...... Doesn't apple already have a "netbook" competitor? The MacBook Air....?
And yes I know the Air costs 3 times as much as a netbook..... no need to tell me that....

tys says:

Here's hoping for a quick Jailbreak! Pretty dull out of the box, but it's got potential, I think. I'm constantly amazed my the great apps and tweaks the jailbreak community comes up with. With a platform like this, they'll run wild!
Multitasking for sure and someone will probably figure out how to sync your iPhone to it over that camera connection adapter. Heck, they may even get OS X running on it.

Lequang242 says:

Introducing the netBook and eReader killer...The iPad!...!!!!yeah!!!!. FOR ME TO POOP ON!!

Lequang242 says:

It would be great if apple come out with a iPad nano. Wow! An iPad nano! that would be terrific!

JPSAL says:

Yeah! And what if this Mini has a phone, a camera and be pocket-friendly?

John Vincent says:

Im very much sure that Microsoft, Nokia, Samsung and Google are smiling right now. :)

andy says:

you guys are a total joke. I could have written this post and these comments a week ago. so predictable. it doesnt have this or that, just a bigger ipod touch, iphone better, fail this, epic fail that.
Had apple included your entire wish list into one device and priced it at $1000, you would all b*ch and moan about the price.
Apple is a company and found the best amount of features for price. The funniest part about the negative comments is that 75% of the authors will be first in line to buy one.
at the end of the day, this will become the de facto standard for reading anything for anyone under the age of 40. Its 10x better than a kindle and has the bonus of doing a bit more productivity and gaming.
get over yourselves and enjoy the beauty of the Max iPad

Jimmy Burnett says:

If the iPad sells at the right prices I might actually look into buying one of these. I'd pay $500 for a model that supports flash, silverlight and lets me watch Hulu!

andy says:

one other comment - without apps, the iphone sucks. there will be countless ipad only apps for gaming, productivity, watching media, reading, etc.
chill out on the instant negative reaction. its all too familiar. these sites built up this tablet for a year so some let down is expected but we got what we wanted.

Mr X says:

It may not be able to multitask, but think: Seeing as it runs so similarly to the iPhone, that means some day, it will be jailbroken. Which means multitasking. Wait until it's been out a few months, the dev-team will probably have it jb'd by then, and after that, it will absolutely destroy the netbook market.

Luis says:

Well, i'll wait until this big iphone gets a mac osx operating system, then it will revolution the world...
besides for movies( which should be paid by itunes)and maybe typing in class; why would i want a bigger, less-portatil Iphone,i mean not even flash... this is useless for iphone owners... put a mac os os for jesus christ

AZMerf says:

Wow, when I first saw the fake shots of the iTablet as just a big iPhone, I thought these had to be fake. Why would anybody buy such a thing. I still think I am dreaming.

rich says:

Andy is right. all everyone is doing is complaining. in 5 years these things will be all over school campuses and are super portable. would you rather carry 100 pounds of text books or have this all-in-one in your bag? plus 10 hours of battery life is amazing. my iPhone barely gets through the on two charges. apple could have included everything on everyones wish list, and will, but for now this is absolutely a breakthrough in technology.

tys says:

I read that protesters were complaining that you can't download apps from the web. Is that true? The iPhone can, it seems odd that the iPad can't.

chris says:

the hp slate seems like a better option by far

oscar says:

WOW THIS IS SOMETHING TO LAUGH ABOUT
I REMENBER THAT PALM CANCELLED THE SO CALLED PALM FOLEO ON 2007 CAUSE THEY KNEW IT WAS GONNA BE A BIG FAILURE I MEAN WHO NEEDS ANOTHER ELECTRONIC THAT CANT MULTITASK AND WONT FIT IN YOUR POCKET
CANT MAKE CALLS
O AND THE WORST THING : ATT WOW THAT REALLY SUCKS
THEY SHOULD PULL IT OFF BEFORE ITS TOO LATE AND IT FAILS

cycling56#CB says:

Don't forget people Apple believes in the cloud and the potential for the iPad will be unlimited, and remember it is the first iPad just like the first iPhone, and Apple will build on it from there just like they did with the iPhone. The complainers and just spoiled by the iPhone and want every thing NOW. Oh don't forget iWorks! Got an idea whip out the iPad, beats having to pull out the Macbook just to put your thoughts down and maybe try something out. I will be getting one as soon as it is available.

cycling56#CB says:

Oh yea look at the Kindle DX $489.00 and it doesn't even come close to the iPad $499.00, so those who want to complain get to the back of the line or better yet go buy a Kindle.

Wolfmore says:

I totally get this and at the price I am happy. I love my 3GS and had dreamed of something so fun and easy to use as the iPhone but bigger for when at home. Well I see the iPad is exactly that. It's all about the software and hardware working together to create a great user experience. And hopefully GeoHot will jailbreak this too and then it will be super awesome with multitasking and all. I can already feel myself using this and enjoying it a whole lot more then my netbook I'm surfing on my couch from right now.

lollywood says:

Can the non 3g model be tethered with
my iPhone? for sheer convenience when out & about. Saves removing otterbox defender case from the iPhone to get to sim

Smith Larry says:

Plateau Limited is a leading provider of Gsm phones,accessories,Digital Cameras & Accessories also with Scanners, Software, and Other Digital Photo Equipment.
Our business is founded on the ethos of creating customer satisfaction not by just providing the most competitive prices around but by also providing a level of service second to none.
Our product come brand New, unlock and as 1st factory condition with 1 years International warranty in brand new original box with complete accessories.
We deliver within 48hours to your doorstep; and also, we ship world wide.
To buy Contact us now.plateaultd@yahoo.com

Adnanymous says:

I think the iPad is just another gateway for content consumption, and that's where the real money is. Cheap device, good for ebooks.

Edmund says:

Here's a question: Can the ipad play itunes wirelessly through the airtunes basestation? The iphone only controls ituns on another wireless machine, but will not play tunes on the iphone itself.

LupeValenz says:

Kinda sucks to see the GPS is only for 3G model. Guess the wifi model really is just a big iPod touch while 3G model is a big iPhone without the Phone.

Big Pimpin says:

@Rail. YOU nailed it. "It does not replace anything". Perfect bud. You STILL have to carry your phone. You STILL have to carry a laptop. If you own a laptop, it already does everything this does PLUS. If you have an iPhone, you can already do what this does, just on a smaller scale. And just how is this thing mobile? It is NOT a pocket device, (I can't wait to see some moran with one in a belt clip !!!) and I can't imagine what would happen if you dropped it. A netbook ($199.00 with most carriers) will do this for 1/3 the cost of the "base" model. $849.00 for a Wi-Fi / 3G model and 64GB is all you get?? Man, my junky Dell was $749.00 and I have 250GB, a DVD reader / burner and a 7 hour battery. Can't see this selling except to those who have to have the latest Apple whatever. HUGE let down. And for all of you "wait and see what they do in the future" types, the future is now. Apple is really losing their ability to not only raise the bar, but to put it where others cannot reach it. This plan of put out a product and then "make it better" later is starting to wear thin.

Big Pimpin says:

@cycling.....why on earth would you be carring both?? The entire notion of the Iphone was "this is all you need". Remember, a computer in your pocket?? I guess they changed that to "this AND this is all you need" now.

Tom Zosh says:

Is the iPad able to stream music from iTunes to external speakers connected to an Airport Express using airTunes ?

andrea says:

Only one thing I regret no Camera!

Joel Nava says:

Apple is the most horrible company in the world! And yes! They are known for this ulgy crappy products like the iPad wich is another piece of junk! I have an iphone and the internet service is horrible! And yes, those At & T commercials are true, their coverage really sucks! I can not believe hos the stupid and arrogant Steve Jobs doesn't look what his competitors are doing before wasting his and our time in this new piece of sheat.
They think they are years ahead of their time and their are not. I just can not believe that you can not do in this new iPad the basic thing that you would do at any other portable computer!
Apple get rich just because of their stupi ipods wich is a devie that is violating all the copy rights of music and musicians!
Apple is the major conterfitter of the world! That's whay they made just 15 billion dollars in profits just last year! They made that much money because their stupid products are way overpriced and they all suck!

Gilles says:

I'm sorry but a lot of guys here are jealous and have anyway always something to complainabout.2nd richest man of the world and with the I pad in one year again nearer to the 1st place. If you don't believe wait for 6 months and come back to this page. What you don't seem to notice is that unfortunately our world is a brand world, you don't have the brand, you are nothing. And just this fact will sell more then 50% of the Ipads, the other 50% will use it as a nice gimmick that's just a bigger I phone.

Gilles says:

Sorry Joel but I think you have a big issue problem. Why everybody has to be so jealous, apple must do something right, or did you ever hear of a company that does like you say everything wrong and is as rich as Apple, The companies that do everythong wrong, don't live long enough to get even a second product out on the market.

Alex says:

I love iPad. If only it has USB and memory card slots the sky would be the limit. I agree that not having a Flash is a downside, but I can live without it. There's one hilarious video on http://ipadspec.com about ipad spec

dvd to ipad says:

dvd to ipad converter can convert dvd to the ipad formats.

dvdtoquicktime says:

Useful info ... BTW, did you consider that watching dvd movies on ur ipad, you may like to check out a tutorial about ripping DVD to iPad http://www.daniusoft.com/tutorial/dvd-to-ipad-converter.html#135 that i stumbled upon.

Ray says:

It's lacking too much to be worth the price.
What exactly will it do different from other phones and netbooks?

video converter ipad says:

choose the right ipad video converter.

xrediscoveriesabc says:

I am so excited to share this news with you guys! You won't believe what I have discovered: An additional theory that will challenge Big Bang theory, Evolution theory, etc. on how we got here and how the world came to be. The theory I am talking about is from da digital report called "Rediscoveries of the centuries" (free at author's site or get it here scribd.com/doc/33817269). The author is saying that we had a small, curious idea in perfect oneness (a place like heaven where we forever are) before we came here: “Into oneness came a curious idea that gave rise to universal scripts, and brought us to the world we see here” that lead to the creation of the universe!
IMHO, I personally believe his ebook will have drastic positive effect many parts of the globe, since no one can longer claim there are only 3 most subscribed to theories (Big bang, Evolution, Intelligent Design) to explain the existence of everything. But, what's more important is what do experts of this forum think about his many rediscoveries?

dvdtoipadconverter says:

I use my iPad for web browsing, reading books, playing games, listening to music, watching video. It's easy to carry. I love the battery life and the fact that there's not waiting for it to boot up. I've never regretted the purchase.

ipad converter mac says:

Thanks for sharing this useful information, i like to use ipad very much , it is so amazing.

ripdvdtoipad says:

a new iPad could certainly shake things up over the Christmas shopping season.

convert video to ipad says:

Thank you that you can take your time from your busy scheduel, it is very kind of you to provide this precious information for us

audio driver says:

it's really not so convenient to use iPad, or other Apple product; I got an iPod itouch, and I have to download the iTunes before getting something into it; I enjoy the iPod, but the transformation is rather annoying.

ati drivers says:

i am planning to buy a ipad 2 in a month. ipads are cool. thanks for the information here. ;)