Daily Tip: How to update your iPhone or iPad
New to iPhone, iPod touch or iPad and wondering how to make sure you're updated and running the latest version of iOS? No problem. Apple makes this easy and we'll show you how after the break!
Updating your iPhone, iPod touch and iPad is as simple as plugin it into iTunes and following a few steps. It can take a few minutes and you do have to pay attention to a few important choices iTunes gives you, but we're here to help explain it along the way.
Jailbreak warning: If you are Jailbroken and want to stay Jailbroken make sure you check TiPb.com/jailbreak to see if new version can still be jailbroken.
Ready? Here we go!
- Connect your iPhone or iPad to your computer with your USB dock cable (it came in the box with your device).
- When iTunes opens, your device will show up with a little icon in the left sidebar. Click on it.
- Sync your iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad if you haven't in a while. iTunes will take a backup so it can restore it after the update and you want that to be as recent as possible. The sync button is at the bottom right.
- In the main window, click 'check for update'.
- If a software update is available, a box will pop up telling you about it.
- The download will start. They're usually pretty big so it might take a few minutes. When it's done, iTunes will prompt you to install it.
- The install will take a few minutes and your iPhone will reboot.
- Once the update is finished iTunes will ask if you want to restore from a previous backup or set up as a new device. Almost always restore from backup, you'll save yourself a ton of work entering all your info and apps again.
- Your iPhone will restart again once the restore is finished, then sync with iTunes to get all your apps and media loaded back on. Again, this can take a while depending on how much stuff you have.
- That's it, you're done!
Hope this has helped out some new users! If you have any questions or extra tips please let us know in comments. If you need any extra expert help, check out the TiPb Forums!
Tips of the day will range from beginner-level 101 to advanced-level ninjary. If you already know this tip, keep the link handy as a quick way to help a friend. If you have a tip of your own you'd like to suggest, add them to the comments or send them in to email@example.com. (If it's especially awesome and previously unknown to us, we'll even give ya a reward...)