Well it is now official, the Dev-Team has updated their blog today to let you all know when the iPhone 3G software unlock will be released. Seems as if New Years eve is what they are aiming for.
- The target release date for the unlock is New Year’s Eve 2008.
- This unlock method is available to iPhone 3Gs that have 2.11.07 baseband or earlier, we did warn you.
- The unlock requires a jailbroken 3G iPhone.
Another bit of jailbreaking related news, a word of warning to all Mac owners: If you are planning on jailbreaking or unlocking your iPhone, TiPb suggests you put the Mac 10.5.6 system update on the back burner until the Dev Team comes up with a solution to the issue. Or you try the following work around:
We believe this behavior is due to a kernel bug not a specific countermeasure by Apple. Possible fixes are (try at your own risk!)
- Replace the following plugin kexts from within IOUSBFamily.kext with the ones from 10.5.5 and then rebuild kextcache (if you don’t understand this, then you shouldn’t attempt it!)
- /System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleUSBHub.kext - /System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/IOUSBCompositeDriver.kext
Use a USB hub in-between the DFU device and the Mac and insert/reinsert the iPhone’s USB cable.
Use a PwnageTool created .ipsw on Windows! Oh the irony!
Again, take heed to their warning, if you don't understand what they are saying, Don't Attempt It!